Topic: playing posture question

So I recently purchased an epi SG, and am new to playing electric. I've been playing acoustic for around 5 and a half years, and am really loving my new guitar and having alot of fun with it.
I have a question about the position of my hands. I've noticed that when I've played acoustic I use mainly my thumb, index and middle finger, and and sort of rest my fourth finger and pinky on the guitar to balance myself. This feels natural to me, but I'm wondering if this is a bad habit to carry over to electric because I've noticed sometimes my arm gets in the way and I've even accidentally killed the strings before by touching them with my wrist and lower arm.
So my question is what is the correct, or most effective position for your picking hand? And does anyone else have this problem?

Re: playing posture question

I don't know the technical answer to this, but, I do know that whatever is more comfortable and easier for you is the right way. We all do things differently.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: playing posture question

lilwing wrote:

So I recently purchased an epi SG, and am new to playing electric. I've been playing acoustic for around 5 and a half years, and am really loving my new guitar and having alot of fun with it.
I have a question about the position of my hands. I've noticed that when I've played acoustic I use mainly my thumb, index and middle finger, and and sort of rest my fourth finger and pinky on the guitar to balance myself. This feels natural to me, but I'm wondering if this is a bad habit to carry over to electric because I've noticed sometimes my arm gets in the way and I've even accidentally killed the strings before by touching them with my wrist and lower arm.
So my question is what is the correct, or most effective position for your picking hand? And does anyone else have this problem?

Don't know about the posture but good choice on the guitar, I've had mine a few weeks and I love it!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000