Topic: Bone Saddle

Hi All
I keep hearing about bone saddles? What's up. I have a plastic one and I think I'm missing out. What are they? How to I get one or install one!!

Re: Bone Saddle

In my experience, I went to my local shop, spent 30 mins looking through a pile of blank saddles trying to find the nearest size I could.  I found one and it cost £5.

Got home and started cutting and sanding with a Stanley knife and sandpaper getting is as close to my old plastic one I could (it took an hour or so) and restrung.

On my guitar there was a massive difference and well worth the effort, the notes just ring and ring and ring!

restring and

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Thanks crevs. I so glad the cat is safe!

Time, time, time. See what's become of me...

I agree. A bone saddle is the least expensive, best improvement you can make to you're acoustic guitar. I have bone on two of mine and I love it.

I've got a bucketfull of bone saddles and nuts I've not gotten around to cutting just yet.

Lazy me!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Any suggestions on where to order one on-line?  I live the boon docks and we don't have any guitar stores for about 40 miles.  I'm familiar with changing a saddle and nut.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Thanks all I bought a Martin DX-1. I thought the saddle was plastic. I went out and got a bone saddle, made by Martin for $5.00. And took the one on the guitar out. After messing w/ the new one, I concluded that the one I had was bone. It appears as if the Martin has a dead spot. I probably should of kept the Epiphone I had, it barred much easier. Live and learn.

I don't wanna wait in vain for your love
A. Lennox

I've just been looking into this as I was thinking of messing with my saddle on my new guitar anyhow to lower the action.  WOW... looks like a touch of work that'd be well worth it.  Did you know, they make bone, ivory, and walrus picks too???

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

9 (edited by jcellini 2010-05-14 14:07:20)

Bob Colosi saddles is where I got mine. You can find him on the internet. He has a wide variety stuff.

jcellini wrote:

Bob Colosi saddles is where I got mine. You can find him on the internet. He has a wide variety stuff.

+1 on Bob! He's a great guy to deal with and his products are top shelf! http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

Stewart McDonald is another good source along with Luthiers Mercantile...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm going to the Sam Ash guitar store in Charlotte on Monday.  I called and they told me they have bone saddles and nuts....  We'll see.  I also checked Ebay and there are hundreds listed if you can trust that they are the real thing.   4 sets (saddle and nut) 8 pieces that are already slotted and shaped on Ebay is $23.00 with shipping.  If only I could trust that they are real bone.

tonyespo wrote:

I'm going to the Sam Ash guitar store in Charlotte on Monday.  I called and they told me they have bone saddles and nuts....  We'll see.  I also checked Ebay and there are hundreds listed if you can trust that they are the real thing.   4 sets (saddle and nut) 8 pieces that are already slotted and shaped on Ebay is $23.00 with shipping.  If only I could trust that they are real bone.

Hey Tony the problem with getting from ebay isn't really whether or not they are real but the quality of the bone. It needs to have a consistent density so that all the vibrations/sound is transfered evenly... Cheap saddles can have hard spots causing some strings to ring louder or soft spots causing some strings to not really get heard. This can really mess with your overall tone. Also the kind of bone... Camel, cow, buffalo, etc... The finer aspects of saddle/nut/pin materials can get almost as complex as tonewood discussions smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:
tonyespo wrote:

Hey Tony the problem with getting from ebay isn't really whether or not they are real but the quality of the bone. It needs to have a consistent density so that all the vibrations/sound is transfered evenly... Cheap saddles can have hard spots causing some strings to ring louder or soft spots causing some strings to not really get heard. This can really mess with your overall tone. Also the kind of bone... Camel, cow, buffalo, etc... The finer aspects of saddle/nut/pin materials can get almost as complex as tonewood discussions smile

There goes my idea of going to the butcher shop and getting a couple of large rib bones and making my own saddle.  Thanks for the reply Pix.  I will stick with someone I can trust and pay the higher price.

I was able to get a blank bone saddle at Sam Ash guitars in Charlotte, NC.  When I say blank I mean it's just a rectangle of bone and I have to shape and carve it.  It was $10 plus tax.  I give it a go and report back when I get if finished.

15 (edited by jcellini 2010-05-17 18:00:06)

Hey Tony, let us know how you make out. I tried making my own saddle once out of a blank piece, Thats why I ended up calling Colosi.

Jecllini, I surely will post my results.  I love working with my hands.  I make my own knives, gun stocks, pistol grips and such so I am familiar with working with finishing tools.  I set up my action on my guitar with great results, thanks to Pix for his guidance and videos.  I will be searching YouTube for saddle info.

tonyespo wrote:

There goes my idea of going to the butcher shop and getting a couple of large rib bones and making my own saddle.  Thanks for the reply Pix.  I will stick with someone I can trust and pay the higher price.

Well, you could make some soup instead!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

18 (edited by tonyespo 2010-05-20 22:20:48)

I installed my bone saddle.  Still not sure if it makes a difference.  I only played the guitar about 15 minutes after the install and then I had to take a brake OR ELSE,,,  You married guys know what I'm talking about.  We just got home from being away for 6 days and don't I have anything better to do then screw with that thing????

Anyway I took a couple of photos.

The bone saddle is under the strings and the plastic saddle is sitting on top of the bridge.  Remember this started out as just a flat piece of bone with no groves, notches or slants in it.  I used a Dremel tool to do most of the cutting and shaping.
I will keep playing and let you know more later.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn95/t1espo/My%20Guitars/bridge2.jpg?t=1274396140

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn95/t1espo/My%20Guitars/bridge1.jpg?t=1274396068

I hope this works so you can see the pictures.

Bone saddle update DAY 2.  Today I had more time to play and I found that my stings had settled into the bone saddle and I need to tighten them up a bit to get back in tune.  After playing for another 1/2hr I am liking what I hear.  The bone saddle help give a ring to the notes on the 1,2,3 strings for sure.  It's not as noticeable a change from the plastic saddle on the 4,5,6 strings.  All in all I glad I made the change.  I still have the plastic saddle so I can always switch back if I ever decide I want to.  For now the bone saddle is a keeper.

Looks like a pretty good job there Tony!  I imagine those strings will continue to settle a little.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Bone saddle update.  It's been 3 full days since I installed my bone saddle.  I have had to adjust my strings a touch each day as they settle in.  I want to tell anyone who is considering getting a bone saddle to JUST DO IT.  My cheapO guitar sounds so much better.  Don't get me wrong, it isn't just the saddle that got this guitar to sound good. I had to adjust the action, change the strings, lower the nut and saddle.  Thank you to PIX, for all his help and guidance my guitar sounded good.  NOW my guitar sounds great.  This one change by itself made a huge difference the ring and tone I hear.  It sounds like a totally different guitar for the better.  I will never go back to plastic.  This is truly very worthwhile investment in time and money to make a guitar sound better.