Topic: Recommend string weight for me

Hello All

I am playing a short while and have a question for more experienced players out there.

I have an encore acoustic guitar ,I have changed the strings a few times now. I played a friends guitar and the strings were lighter ,hence easier on the fingers.

I have trouble getting any barre chords ,except 2 strings on f major etc. Been playing occasionly for about 3 years ,pain is not getting easier for barre chords on the fingers.

Can you recommend the lightest weight of string for me?

thanks,
Phil

Re: Recommend string weight for me

.11's. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by tonyespo 2010-05-18 17:37:01)

I went with Elixir polyweb extra light 010 - 047  I'm not very experienced but these strings are easy on the fingers and sound good.  They are a bit pricey.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

tonyespo wrote:

I went with Elixir polyweb extra light 010 - 047  I'm not very experienced but these strings are easy on the fingers and soon good.  They are a bit pricey.

I agree with Tony, the Elixer Nano web lights are also good. There almost like a nylon.

I also use Elixer Nano Web light strings....and get your action (strings lowered) if they are too high....that will help alot! I do find you can't beat hard on Elixer light strings, they will break easily. If you play that way, go with medium or medium lights.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

You could also tune your guitar down a half step or even a whole to reduce the tension of the strings. It will help you develop some strength for those barre chords, F and B. Its like using a capo to raise the pitch, but you are lowering the pitch. If you go too low the strings get sloppy. Remember, when you get the chords down, start tuning your guitar back up to normal. Otherwise you'll really be aching when you go to jam with somebody.

Get on the 12's for a few months and then go back to 11's (or 10's if they tickle your fancy) and you'll realise all those weeks spent with a heavier gauge will make 11's feel like spider webs.   It's like taking a step backwards to take 2 steps forward.

PS Don't try to bend them tho ;?)

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I believe getting strings in the 12-13 range will give you a bassier soung and work well with bigger bodied guitars. and the 11's and 10's will give you a softer sound and work better on concert size  and smaller bodies. I would like to hear some opinions on this theory.

Thanks for replies. I ended up getting 11's.

Now I've changed strings a few times now, this time I ended up breaking 3 strings - when putting them on - Even a bass string 5th or 6th !. I wont go with same brand as that again. cant think now what they were. I usually put on gibsons and they work out ok for me.

Goin to pick up a 2nd hand guitar tomorrow,my second guitar ,hope she's for me!

try some DR Pure Blues 11's-- they last a long time and sound great

And excerise your fingers for them barre chords. A very easy excerise, just like training for arm wrestling, is to take your index finger and touch the end of your thumb. Now roll them round n round. After 1 minute go to the middle finger and thumb - repeat. After 1 minute go to the ring finger and thumb - repeat. Then the pinky and thumb - this is the hardest - and repeat. Do this over and over. You will feel the thumb cramping up after awhile, just like using the thumb for making those barre chords. As your finger / hand muscles develope the cramping will go away.

Nela