Topic: Now the best bas guitar player

- Jack Bruce
- Jaco pastorius
- John Paul Jones (led zeppelin)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Now the best bas guitar player

Les Claypool. We can close this thread now.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Gotta give Les Claypool a listen.
I really dig Victor Wooten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6t47pV8Qc

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I remember someone name Mingus who wasnt to bad smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by marcalan 2010-05-24 13:50:32)

Tal Wilkenfeld    Check her out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDgkbLw4qkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Paul McCartney

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Rick Haynes.  Not a household name, but he is the bass player that was with the Gordon Lightfoot band and also backed up Jim Croce some. 

See, I don't think bass players ought to be front of stage or playing leads.  Bass is there to put in some bottom, to keep tempo (because drummers can't - sorry PapaTom I have to razz you a little), and to transition between chords in the key.  Plus maybe a little punctuation. 

Rick Haynes did all of that, he did it exceptionally well, he kept a rather rapid moving bass line going to set and maintain tempo and ease transitions of chords, but he never took over and blared out a solo.  He kept ballads interesting and blues numbers grooving.  That's what a bass player is supposed to do. 

Paul McCartney did an awesome job of this as well.  Oh Darling! is perhaps the best example. 

Now, who can make a bass do amazing things?  Victor Wootten and Flea. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

for heck's sake.. you want the best Bass player? then look no further than Donald 'Duck' Dunn...

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

9 (edited by marcalan 2010-05-25 21:55:22)

zurf , youve got to be kidding. The bass solo is what rules if done , especially in jazz. And this little gal with jeff beck was right on , Tal Wilkenfeld
No work horse better than takes it all thru, you see becks response?
sorry , totally disagree

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Molly Gauger

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

dont know his name but he plays bass in the group "in livin color" awesome smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

dont know his name but he plays bass in the group "in livin color" awesome smile

I'm with you on this one Russ if indeed you're talkin' about " Living Colour". The " Cult of Personality" band right?

Vernon Reid is one sick brother on the guitar !!!! Corey Glover on vocals and Will Calhoun on drums made up the rest of the band. I thought they were headed to "Led Zeppelinish" success but they just kinda fizzled out. But man! did they ever made a grand entrance to the world of music !!!!

And regarding their bass players, Mozz Skillings was the original( 1986-1995), replaced by Doug Wimbush in 1995. They're both incredible players but I lean towards Mozz simply because he was the first !!!

Give everything but up.

13 (edited by Russell_Harding 2010-05-26 04:09:30)

Toney thats the song and the band so his name is Mozz Skillings thanks for the info I think there stye is more a fusion "cult of personality" is really tight on the arrangment bass,guitar and drums were like one I like the guitarist but some of the solos were mostly flashy scales but he still could pick the bjesus out of a guitar smile

Tony Levin;
He has played on over five hundred albums, including those of King Crimson, Cher, Alice Cooper, John Lennon, Sarah McLachlan, Stevie Nicks, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, Buddy Rich, The Roches, Todd Rundgren, Seal, Yes and Warren Zevon. He has also toured with artists such as Paul Simon, Gary Burton, James Taylor, Herbie Mann, Judy Collins, Carly Simon, Peter Frampton, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, Tim Finn, Richie Sambora, and Claudio Baglioni. Tony Levin is this posters' personal favorite( google the song " Elephant Talk" and you'll see what I'm talkin' 'bout"). Well here you go, I made it easy for y'all, watch it all !!!! and then watch it a few more times, it'll stay in your head and make you a better human , hahaha !!!;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbSjC9tAY8

Nathan East( Eric Clapton & many others) is a close second. Dude is damn near flawless, everytime, everywhere.

Of course Jaco (Miles Davis, Weather Report, Pat Metheny, Sam & Dave, David Sanborn, Herbie Hancock, Joni Mitchell, Mike Stern & others) is up there as well, along with the "Ox" John Entwistle(The Who).

I just can't stop with these amazing musicians of thunderous godliness.

This list must go on and it resumes with;
Larry Graham( Sly & The Family Stone) , Flea (RHCP,etc), Chris Squire(YES), Victor Wooten(Bela Fleck,etc.), Roger Glover(Deep Purple), Phil Lesh (The Grateful Dead), Billy Sheehan( Steve Vai, etc), Bootsy Collins(James Brown, Parliament-Funkadelic,Dee-Lite,GrooveGrass Boyz, Buckethead), Michael Manring(Michael Hedges, Windam Hill), Geddy Lee(Rush), Geezer Butler(Black Sabbath), Marcus Miller(Miles Davis, Luther Vandross, David Sanborn), Stanley Clarke( Animal Logic, Jeff Beck,Jean-Luc Ponty & Al DeMeola, etc.), Jeff Berlin(Zappa), Stu Hamm (Satriani,etc), Les Claypool(Primus, etc),Jack Bruce( Cream, etc.), Steffan Lessard( DMB),Paul McCartney(of cousre!!!) and so many more to list but the time doesn't allow .........

Give everything but up.

Russell_Harding wrote:

Toney thats the song and the band so his name is Mozz Skillings thanks for the info I think there stye is more a fusion "cult of personality" is really tight on the arrangment bass,guitar and drums were like one I like the guitarist but some of the solos were mostly flashy scales but he still could pick the bjesus out of a guitar smile

I hear ya Russ, here's some of Vernons' more tasteful stuff. Ignore the 20 second commercial before the tune begins. This is a dang sweet tune, in my opinion !!!!! Hope you likey !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQcPB1WkISI

Later,
Toney

Give everything but up.

I had the pleasure to work with two bass players that dominated. First was Harold Floyd who played rock solid bass with me in my group for two years. He moved to New Orleans and played for Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown until he died and then came back to the Gulf Coast to be near his mom. I found a recent video of him with Lisa Mills. Can't tell what a great bass man he is from this vid but he sings toward the end with lots of soul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVc2HK5Sf1c
The best bass player I ever shared a stage with is (was?) Orville Henry Harrison, "Big O" who attacked the bass guitar like an animal. He pulled the strings up to his chin and the percussive effect out front would move your clothes and hair.
He was wiry built and has been known to break E and A strings on his Fender Precision Bass. He went from bowing a bass violin in recording sessions with Lawrence Welk to a house gig at a recording studio in Muscle Shoals. He never sang because the songs he was asked to sing were corny. My band needed vocal help so I asked him to pick any song he liked and we'd do it. He brought in "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" by Joe Cocker and blew everybody away with it. He had a ruined voice like Joe Cocker and landed a recording contract with R.C.A. Records in Nashville. Charley Pride took a personal interest in Big O and sent a wonderful list of tunes for O to learn and record. Those tunes fit O to a T and he sounded great.
O asked me to run his band and M.C. for him on the road. I would have loved to but I didn't dare attach my family to his financial coat strings because O did drugs so bad. We parted friends and we never heard from O again. God bless him.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

manicbassman wrote:

for heck's sake.. you want the best Bass player? then look no further than Donald 'Duck' Dunn...

You win.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

marcalan wrote:

zurf , youve got to be kidding. The bass solo is what rules if done , especially in jazz. And this little gal with jeff beck was right on , Tal Wilkenfeld
No work horse better than takes it all thru, you see becks response?
sorry , totally disagree

I still like you despite how wrong you are.  :-) 

- Zurf

That song is really put together well I've seen a live video performance and the bass player was playing some very tasty things I agree vernons playing is much more melodic on this dont know why they didn't stay on top the were a great band smile

SouthPaw41L wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

I hear ya Russ, here's some of Vernons' more tasteful stuff. Ignore the 20 second commercial before the tune begins. This is a dang sweet tune, in my opinion !!!!! Hope you likey !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQcPB1WkISI

Later,
Toney

Russell_Harding wrote:

dont know why they didn't stay on top the were a great band smile

I dont' know either, but I'm willing to bet someone's sister was involved. 

- Zurf

Robert Truillo: Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves.
Matt Freman: Operation Ivy and Rancid (best punk rock bassist ever!!)
The bass player from Nomeansno (Canadian white boys with rhythm!)
The bass player for Rodney Crowell. (don't know is name but he is good!!)
and my all time favorite: Bootsy Collins

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

22 (edited by Astronomikal 2010-05-28 02:38:02)

Victor Wooten is awesome.

John Entwhistle (The Who) was pretty impressive.

Flea (RHCP) is fun to watch and listen to.

But check out Mark King (Level 42).  This guy must be an alien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioVmqlt2Fk

I'd like to be 1% this talented.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Reg Edwards of The Idiots

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Tal Wilkenfeld - HOT HOT HOT
Les Claypool - Kewl

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

i dont agree with this "best bassist/guitarist/drummer...whatever" but surely the top of the pile must be...chris squire of yes  he plays bass and lead at the same time?

but surely if your taste is heavy rock your choice will be different to someone who prefers country, or jazz. the question is moot.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.