Topic: Yamaha F335

Hi!

Guitar Center is having a Memorial Day SALE. This might be a great(and cheap)opportunity for me to buy a new guitar. They have the Yamaha F335 for $99(lists at $350). I feel like I have outgrown my student Johnson JG-100. I may outgrow the Yamaha a year from now but for $99 I can get a better sounding guitar at a low price. The reviews I have read(and seen on youtube) for the F335 are pretty favorable. As always, any opinions from the friendly Chordie people out there would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Yamaha F335

I don't have one, but by all means go check out all the guitars they've got on sale this weekend and find one that speaks to you (and  your wallet).  Any day is a great day for a new guitar.  There's lots of good reviews about this model online.  It's possible this model may have been one that I was considering last time I was shopping, there was a Yamaha in the list of contenders, although I decided on an Epiphone.  Good luck and Have fun shopping!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I had a 335 yrs ago , and it was a good guitar for the money. I eventually sold it to a friend , wish I hadnt. It will  be a good beater ,, when you decide to get something more expensive.
If you didnt get it this wknd,, I bet if you go in, the manager will let you get it at the cost from the sale.  Usually you just gotta ask 
Steve

I love my Yamaha smile

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I've got a Yamaha F310.  That's as beginner of a guitar as you get when it comes to steel string folk bodied guitars.  A buddy of mine who has been playing professionally since he was 16 (he's 44 now) has one and still uses it around campfires and such.  It's his go-to acoustic.  The F-335 is a good guitar that you may outgrow, but then again you may not.   $99 is a good price for one, but not unbelievable.  List Prices on guitars are meaningless.  Street price is what you want to look for.  At $99, the F-335 is still below street price, making it a good value. 

All that said, if the guitar doesn't fit your hands or sound good to you, then it's not a good value.  One warning - Yamaha uses cheap strings.  If you buy the guitar, put a set of D'Addorios or Elixir Nanowebs on it and you'll like the sound a whole lot better.  I use 11s or 12s on mine usually.  I think Yamaha usually strings them with 10s, which in my mind are for electrics and electrics only. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

6 (edited by nevets17 2010-06-04 16:01:04)

Just an update, I did not buy a new guitar this weekend.

I did stop by my local shop and he showed me an acoustic/electric Garrison that was three times more expensive than the Yamaha at Guitar Center. I wasn't totally blown away with it. The color was nice but it felt heavy and the sound was kind of dull. I did enjoy messing around with it hooked up to an amp. I discovered that if your finger positioning is a wee bit off when strumming a chord the amp will pick it right up.

Now I have some more things to think about. I could get an inexpensive starter that I will outgrow or save some cash to upgrade to an acoustic/electric. One of the major selling points of the local shop is that he will stand by what he sells and back it 100% (plus, re-stringing it is free. I just pay for strings). Naturally he is against the larger chains that are trying to drive the little guys out of business...but thats business.

The smaller shops may cost a bit more due to the limited volume they sell. But if they are friendly and helpful ,it may be worth it. I like to buy from  a shop 10 min. from myh house when I can.
'  Now just my 2 cents , but I think if you go for a solid top Yamaha, in the 175-200 range you will probably have a guitar , that you will want to keep forever. Now as a good starter. and later as a backup, for a friend to play or a beater.  Blueridge makes some good stuff , maybe if you can find a used one.

I hope you find one you like.
Steve

You can always add a pickup to a standard acoustic. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have played many Yamaha acoustics and they all fretted nicely and sounded good with a new set of strings.
My old Yamaha FG350W dreadnought is now my only acoustic guitar.
It sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tubatooter1 … LU0-gj-OdU

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?