Topic: capo

i have a deep voice do i use a capo ? if so how and why

Re: capo

You use a capo to change the key you are in. If a song is in Eb you can't play it on a standard tuned guitar. But if you put a capo on the first fret then the D cord becomes Eb

You should only need a capo if you can't reach some of the notes easily when you sing.  Try a song without it , then try the capo on each fret until you can sing the song comfortably.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pete got it right.  I'm just jumping in to welcome Plank spanker and to say that I like the handle. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'll second that Zurf!  Welcome to the forum Plank Spanker (interesting handle). 

Until I get music theory down ... I'd love someone to provide me with a complete cheat sheet of what happens with each common open chord when capo is used on each fret (1-4 anyhow).  That would be far more than anyone is willing to contribute... but it sure would be awesome to have!  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

It's just like bensonp says, Amy. With each fret you move the capo up you move up a half tone. So if I play an E major chord shape with the capo at 1st fret then the E now sounds like F; with the capo at 3rd fret E now sounds like G; 5th - A; 7th - B. And so on and everything inbetween.

I use a capo a lot because I don't have a very big range vocally.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

That was far too simple Alvee... now I feel stupid for even saying it... BUT... I could make my own cheat sheet now so I don't have to think so much!  I keep forgetting it's just like a piano keyboard (it's the only way I can remember where those darn notes are!)  THANK YOU! 

I know what I'm going to do today!

I love my capo wink  my voice is limited and I like the open position ,, so its on 2 , or 4 a lot of the time if Im singing.  If you have a low voice it will become almost indespinsable to you I bet . Mine is
Steve

I'll join that capo lovers club, Steve. I also love the open sound. I think acoustics sound better playing open, but that's just my opinion. Mine varies from 2nd fret to 5th. Some folkie type songs sound great at the 5th fret.

Amy, that's a great description of me - way too simple. lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Plank Spanker, check out these two threads on Chordie:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15072
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14925

Your question got me going, and there were a few other members with capo questions and such as well.  There's a few charts in there for you to look at so you know what's happening when you use your capo!  smile 

Al... it's the simple things in life that make everything better!  You must be a good one!  big_smile

i thank you all for your answers, at this stage it may be a lot to understand , but i will take it all in (eventually) keep spanking your planks  . from liverpool england

I just got my basses out of storage and hope to be spanking those planks soon.  I'm way behind on something for Geoaguiar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I just got my basses out of storage and hope to be spanking those planks soon.  I'm way behind on something for Geoaguiar.

Alright!!!!  smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello