Topic: I ought to be tired

I just got back from jamming with Topdown.  What a blast.  He let me borrow his graphite guitar, and it is SWEET.  I'm two hours into my last day of vacation and ought to be going to bed, but I'm too jazzed up to do it.  Caffeine has not been my friend.  Either too much or not enough.  Tonight, too much.  Plus all the fun with Topdown. 

Anyway, we met up at Topdown's cabin on a lake.  Though tempted, I did not cast a line.  He fed me a great dinner, and then we jammed, jammed, and jammed.  He's pretty slick with the rhythms, I'll tell you what.  Picks them up and does them just fine.  Also, his graphite guitar is finer than fine.  I told him if it ever shows up missing, he knows the first place to look for it is my house. 

We traded songs and had a good time.  I feel as if I may have dominated the evening, but it's been a few days since I've played and tonight was the first night since I put my stuff in storage close to a year ago that I've used my full song-book, so I hope he'll forgive me. 

Anyway, I'm not tired, but my family is sleeping in the hotel room and so I guess I'll try and snooze a bit.  It will be pleasant dreams that's for sure, as the whole evening has seemed like a dream. 

- Zurf

p.s.  Mrs. Topdown is a lot of fun too.  It was a treat meeting her.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I ought to be tired

Sounds like you two guys had a grand time but I hope you did not neglect the ladies.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I just dragged myself out of bed. A large coffee and a couple of aspirins should put me right in short order. A sign of a great night. I do not get a chance to jam with a partner very often, and last night was a blast indeed. Zurf is quite a talented finger picker and also has a great singing voice. It was also the first time I have heard my guitar played by someone other than me, and it sounds even better from a listening perspective than a playing one. I'm sure that also has something to do with the skill of the player.

Zurf is welcome to jam with me any time. I had so much fun, I've really got to see if I can make the next Zurfapalooza.

And thanks so much for introducing me to that wonderful Woodford Reserve. My head may not think so, but that is some fine sippin whiskey.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I know it's not a good thing to be jealous, but I am Jealous !  No not really but it is so much fun playing and things click , glad you fellars had a good time and if ever in Wyoming you are welcome to join in  smile

Later, Wayne P

Sounds like you had a great time.  I am glad you enjoyed it.  Time will heal your party wounds.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I ought to be tired but I'm just too darn wired.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

bensonp wrote:

Sounds like you had a great time.  I am glad you enjoyed it.  Time will heal your party wounds.

No party wounds here.  It was just a small bottle of bourbon, shared, and we took a long time to handle it.  However, knowing that I had to drive back to my hotel room, I also poured a good bit of my glassful into Topdown's glass, which may explain HIS party wounds. 

Thanks to Topdown for the kind words on my playing and singing.  I don't think much of them, but it's pleasing to read that he enjoyed them.  I've been working hard on improving my voice over the past year, with many thanks to Russell Harding who has been very encouraging and made helpful suggestions. 

I very much enjoyed playing the songs we both knew together, really enjoyed Topdown's rhythmic style, and greatly enjoyed playing his amazing graphite guitar. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I ought to be tired but I'm just too darn wired.

In our music we were mired but I returned to those whom I had sired.

Sounds like you guys had a great time!  Cudos to you both for finding a little time to get away from everything and just jam with the guitars and a little bourbon!  smile  Zurf, that almost sounds like a little vacation within the vacation!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hey Zurf and Topdown;  sounds like a great time.  Most of us wish we had somebody we could get together with occasionally and do this.  Personally, I have always felt a little intimidated to even initiate such a topic of conversation for fear the other party would be so superior with their skills that I would look foolish.  By the way, I find that a bottle of Crown Royal sipped over the crushed ice would be my brand of choice and often helps.  To each their own; great story which might just inspire some others of us to seek each other out for such a get-together.  Thanks

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Every time I have had the opportunity to play with another has turned out to be a huge benefit and a ton on fun despite my trepidations. I always learn something and even more important, I lose some of my fears (the alcohol might help there). But in reality just to strum along with someone by watching their fingering, recognizing the key, anticipating the chord changes, and to sing along with another who has been there before and will not judge is a huge benefit. I wish I had a regular jam session, I have no doubt it would help me progress that much faster.

I absolutely encourage everyone who might be sitting on the fence to GO FOR IT! I have no doubt you will come out a better player and with more appreciation of your own skills.

Zurf has some pics of our jam - I'm sure they will be posted soon. Any chordians ever in my area, look me up. Steaks are on me.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/TA2ezAfsP9I/AAAAAAAAEB8/mM9o06nRqAU/s400/DSC_0288.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/TA2e37EA0eI/AAAAAAAAECA/mukSOSsLMIg/s400/DSC_0291.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/TA2fBdG6aSI/AAAAAAAAECE/g_b7zBgAHq8/s400/DSC_0294.JPG

LOL guys I'd love to jam w/ you but I need what little hair I have left and I think you'd steal it!!!

Butch8844 wrote:

LOL guys I'd love to jam w/ you but I need what little hair I have left and I think you'd steal it!!!

We won't steal your hair, but you'll need a Hawaiian shirt.  I've been thinking of shaving what's left of my hair off. 

- Zurf

I've got plenty of hair. On my head, not so much, but everywhere else.... smile

Zurf wrote:
Butch8844 wrote:

We won't steal your hair, but you'll need a Hawaiian shirt.
- Zurf

big_smile  Ha ha ha!  I was thinking the same things.  Two peas in a pod there you guys are!  What a lovely place to relax though in a nice sun room on the lake.  It makes me wish everything was already in order here so we could just pack up the belongings we love and head south for good!  Thanks for sharing the pictures with us guys!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have a yellow/orange polyester Hawaiiam shirt, but my wive keeps hiding it!!

Great Photos lads.

Enjoyment written all over your faces.

Graphite guitar ! I have a graphite fishing rod,  Light as a feather it is, is the guitar the same ? light to hold ?

Old Dolll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

A cabin on a lake and guitars! Also very jealous!! Great photos, too - some fine shirts, there! Hey, I have a loud shirt and a bald head, I think I would fit in well...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Slightly jealous....

just a little bit.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle