Topic: Has anyone out there taken any Microsoft Certifications?

Greetings,

My job has selected me to take the MCITP and I'm scared senseless. I don't know whether to go on or quit right now and I've got no one to talk to about this around me.

I have this Microsoft training book on "Configuring Windows 7" in front of me that is like 500 pages long. I've gotten through the first chapter and passed the practice exam (After 3 tries) for that first chapter but now I'm into the 2nd chapter and I feel like hiding under my desk.

None of the examples are working out the way the book outlines and i'm starting to wonder if I need to be doing this. Are they setting me up for failure? Are they gonna fire me if I don't pass this thing? How am I supposed to read five 500-page books and take the tests as well in 5 months AND perform my job duties AND still do anything besides study when I get home from work!?!?!?!

I'm so freaking out here...I am scareder than I can remember in a long time....
=[
I'm sorry if I am bugging anyone...I just don't know what to do.

If I pass this (Configuring windows 7) first books' test (70-680) do I get that certification? Or do I have to pass all 5 tests to get anything at all?

Oh yeah...I have till the end of this year to complete it all.

Help please....

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: Has anyone out there taken any Microsoft Certifications?

No training?  If they're requiring the certification, they should pay for training. 

First, stop panicking.  You can do anything you set your mind to do.  Windows Certifications, to my mind, are all about Microsoft earning more money through their licensed training products.  That said, you do learn a whole lot about how Microsoft applications work, which is useful information.  I'd say that if the company is willing to pay for you to get the certification, that's a good thing.  Do a little looking around to see whether it is YOU or the YOUR COMPANY that receives the certification.  If it's YOU, then having that certification gives you a leg up with your employer and you can take it with you when you go.  If it's YOUR COMPANY, then see what's in it for you for going through that pain.  Does certification get you a promotion, or an increase in pay, or allowed to keep your job, or what exactly is in it for you for all that increased effort. 

Then once you understand your situation, have a frank and open conversation about the likelihood of passing the certification without prepatory training.  Before that, be sure to have looked up some training organizations that offer training, have the rates and times at your disposal, and also call the trainers and ask them for their pass rate on the certification testing.  Call Microsoft and ask them what the pass rate is for folks without training.  Contact a recruiter who specializes in IT (I can turn you onto one) and ask him/her what the value of that particular certification is in the market place.  Placements of those without the certification and average wage/salary compared to placements of those with the certification and average wage/salary. 

This homework will give you the information you need to allow you and your employer to have a frank and open conversation about the benefits the employer expects for you being certified, the benefits you expect to receive for being certified, and the costs of becoming certified - both in the time and effort perspective but also in the dollars and cents perspective. 

But bear in mind, you CAN pass the certification.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thank you for the encouragement brother.
I, seriously, have not been this scared in years.

They are paying for the books. I don't think they will let me take the class training though. i'm not sure that it would help someone like me anyway...I learn by doing, not by hearing.

I will find out who gets to keep the paper when I get to work tomorrow.
If "They" get to keep it...I'll take the first 2 tests and call it a wrap after that.
If "I" keep it....I will keep on trying and retaking tests if I have to...until they yank my company card.

They told me something about "I have to finish by the end of the year" or else they lose accreditation or something...

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Gotcha.  They have a corporate certification that relies on having certified engineers on staff, and they've lost their on-staff engineers.  So now to retain the corporate certification, they need another certified engineer and you are the stuckee.  Not a bad place to be.  That gives you a little leverage, at least.  They still have the leverage of providing a paycheck, so it's not like you're in the drivers seat, but you surely do have a little something in your favor. 

Relax, read, do, and remember.  Use Youtube and on-line resources.  You can do it.  I've known folks not nearly as clever and smart as you have done it.  It's not a small thing by any stretch, but I have great confidence in your ability. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

+1 to what Zurf says.

I took the entire MCSE track about 8 years ago. I was already in the IT business and gainfully employed at the time. Personally, I felt it was a big waste of time and money. MS's certification says 1 thing...you learned how to take a test. Real world applications were never even considered; the instructors had less experience than the pupils. I can't say enough negative things about the whole program. The tests are worded to be intentionally confusing sometimes with multiple right answers. In my experience, there are so many better ways to train someone. Nothing matches real world experience.In my professional career I have never seen the networks depicted in the training manuals. It was pure fantasy

I'm not sure how the tests are now. When I did mine it was Win2K server and 2000 and XP on the client side. You pass your first test you are an MCP then I had to take 6 more to get the MCSE title. There are others as well MCDA, etc. depending on your focus.

I've met alot of certified folks and some of them have no clue what they are doing. This being said, companies place way too much weight on these certs so in the open market it gets you noticed and puts your resume on the top of the pile. There used to be a company that made study programs called Transcender. There 500.00 training program was WAY more helpful than the 8000.00 class.....

Just my 2 cents....sorry for the rant. It's been years and I'm still getting over it yikes

Good luck man. It's all about being good at taking tests

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Wow, Thanks!
That is exactly the situation, they mentioned that to me a few months ago.
Now that a few certified people have left they are selecting others to carry the cert-armor.

Why they chose me for such a HEAVY cert I will never know. All I asked for was the Security+ cert...and I get this whopper...lol.

Well, they either have great confidence in me.....or they're insanely desperate.

I've downloaded some secondhand videos for the "Server 2008 administration" test (next test) for after I finish the Win-7 one. Right now, I have found another person that has taken the test that has sent me his notes. They're not seeming like much more help than this rickshaw MS-Press study guide...but everything counts.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

You should feel good that they chose you to carry on.  They think you have what it takes.  They are not setting you up for failure, but you may be setting yourself up.  I have had to remain certified in Governmnet jobs my whole career and it may not be easy and you may be scared, but do as the others said and study hard.  Learn it to the best of your ability and the outcome when you pass these tests will make you feel great.  I am sure you can do it.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Detman101 wrote:

Wow, Thanks!
Well, they either have great confidence in me.....or they're insanely desperate.

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive. big_smile

Detman,

I was in a similar circumstance about a year ago. The construction industry is all of a sudden majorly into "green buildings". My company came out with a requirement that all Project Managers become LEED certified. It's a heel of a tough test - 35% initial passing rate. It covers all aspects of construction - site selection, recyclable materials, rain water preservation, efficient plumbing fixtures - I'm an electrician! what do I know or care to know about these items!

Anyway -I gathered some study materials and read for an hour 2 most nights - took a couple of sample tests with good success. The time came to take the test, and I fluncked by ONE point (got a 74, needed 75). The test results showed where my weaknesses were, so I concentrated on those and re-tested a month later. Passed with an 86.

I was in a remote site and had to study by myself. Others in the office formed a study group and spent many lunches together and time after work to study and quiz themselves. That proved very helpful for those folks - I suggest you try the same thing if you can.

Regardless, I am sure you can do it and after all is said and done, the effort will be worth it. Good Luck!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thank you for all the well wishes, experience stories and helpful ideas everyone.
This is the first real training I've had since I took the prep course for the PMP...which I failed horribly.
Mainly because I had no interest in project management and hated the job I had at the time.

I'm certain that this cert can take me to other places combined with what I already have. I will just have to study hard and use every resource I can find to pass these tests.

Once it's over I don't have to worry again for another 7 years...lol.

=p
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

DM - I didn't ever take any kind of training like that.  I've done a lot of other weird training over the years however for jobs.  I don't dream much when I sleep, but anytime I was doing extensive training and memorizing stuff that doesn't make much sense in the real world I would start dreaming about it.  I guess it's a way the brain helps to sort it all out, although it's frustrating to know something is consuming you so much that your brain's working on it even when you're asleep.  Study hard and do what you can to get it done.  I agree with Zurf - if YOU aren't the one that gets the certification to carry with you then you have the option to question if it's worth it to YOU to stress so much or not.  On another token, even if YOU don't get the certification, the fact that you took and passed a bunch of these tests CAN still go on your resume.

It sounds to me that taking these tests is similar to taking Calculus ... it "could" have real world application but mostly it's just another notch for your resume in the end (and some flashy notch on the belt for the company you work for).  Good to have if you ever need it, and clearly of value to your company for you to have it.  Maybe there's a raise coming your way if you pass enough of these tests too! 

Good luck... and remember to take a break for at least 15 minutes here and there to play your guitar and unwind just a little!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

"On another token, even if YOU don't get the certification, the fact that you took and passed a bunch of these tests CAN still go on your resume."

You know what...thats the same thing my wife said! She said that even if I don't get to keep the paper, I can still put it on my resume that I'm MCITP certified and its not like companies won't honor that.

AND I still keep the knowledge and experience....which is worth everything!

Thanks for the break advice too, I had almost forgotten my friend because I was so stressed and scared.
We spent a few minutes together last night and I realized I hadn't hung out with him in 2 days! Longest time in a while....

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Zurf wrote:

No training?  If they're requiring the certification, they should pay for training.

This, a thousand times over.   There are a lot of places that offer up courses geared towards these certifications.  Find one. Price it up.  Take it to your employer and tell them to cut you an invoice.  If they aren't willing to do that, then they aren't serious about ensuring you actually have the skills that the certification implies.

"Go read a book" is a terrible training program.   Would you fly on a plane if thats how they trained pilots?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Oh, they're paying for it already.
I have resolved to study the first book myself since I already have knowledge of windows 7....But the other tests I'm taking boot camps for. If they won't pay for the boot camps then I will find out if they will give me more time to pass it on my own and I will put all of the "Extra" study sources I need on my company card.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle