Topic: Need inspiration

I've run into a slump...need something new. I've been playing some clapton unplugged, some neil young stuff some zep, but need something that grabs my attention. Any ideas?

Re: Need inspiration

Try some Dwight Yoakam his stuff has simple cords, great rhythems and he writes true country, blues and rock. A lot of his tabs are posted online, both here and at his web site. There are a lot of youtube vids too watch

pfk167,

If you are maxed out and bored with these three.. you should consider a different hobbie.

Now available in 5G !

I check out other peoples songbooks or go to something that is a step harder,you might ask your friends /family what they might want to hear from you. Mabe put yourself on youtube.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome PFK!!!!

How long have you been playing? try a diff genre like country,blues,bluegrass, or funk. There's lots of styles out there!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi pfk167
Welcome to Chordie.
I alway found pursuing ideas of my own is a good wall jumper. Delveloping Chord progressions, melodies and riffs that I have sometimes stumbled on open up new ways of looking at guitar playing.
Just surfing Utube I found can be inspiring to, some great unknown guitar players out there.
ark

Welcome to the forums pfk!  I will second what Dino and Ark said!  Searching other's songbooks often brings an idea for something that you hadn't thought of playing before... and trying to write some of your own stuff, or just push yourself to learn something more makes it all more interesting too.  I love the guitar because I feel that I will never tire of learning, there will always be something new that I can wrap my head around.  Theory... styles... different genres... etc!  Good luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Find someone who plays better than you and jamm. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thank for all the input guys, some good ideas here... I think zurf hit on the biggest issue i've got, I've never played with anyone, I'm sure if I did I'd get more out of it.

Playing with some one better is a great idea. Getting in a band, even for fun, since you won't make any $$ anyway is great fun and will help build your chops!

Zurf wrote:

Find someone who plays better than you and jamm. 

- Zurf

Excellent suggestion.
That's the best way to turbo boost your playing AND try new things!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Butch8844 wrote:

Playing with some one better is a great idea. Getting in a band, even for fun, since you won't make any $$ anyway is great fun and will help build your chops!

I couldn't agree more. playing with other people and following other instruments is the greatest learning tool out there.

Playing something new and playing with someone better then you. Usually when I get in a rut I don't exactly have someone go play with.

Some other things to try as well are to stop playing, take a breather, I like to go onto youtube or a pop on a CD  that I find inspiring.

Also a good thing to try is to change where your practicing. I find that simply changing where I'm practicing to somewhere more comfortable will make all the difference

no audience required.