Topic: Songs everybody knows

When you get 12-15 people of varying age groups together what songs do you think they all know? We regularly have get togethers with our neighbors but none of my neighbors seem to have the same musical interests as me. What are some popular songs that you keep in your book for these types of occasions. I can play most major and minor chords and some 7ths but I protest the B chord in any form.

Re: Songs everybody knows

If no one has said it yet, welcome rockr!!!!

Some go tos of mine are:

Free fallin - Tom Petty
Have you ever seen the rain - CCR
Stand by me - Ben E. King
Brown eyed girl - Van Morrison

Everyone knows these classics!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I would try a mix of some easy rock,country western  (eagles tunes ,dylan,willie nelson) and some fifties oldies. good to see you at the site I think you will enjoy it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Great question.  I'm trying to build a small song book now that I have confidence to play in front of friends and relatives.  I can't wait to read the replies and hopefully I will get some good songs to add to my play list.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Well, I was wasting away in Marguritaville when a freebird flew by, reminding me that the stairway to heaven went right through my sweet home in Alabama....

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like to Take it Easy and I often wonder Who'll Stop the Rain. I am just a Simple Man and I wish they would leave this Long Haired Country Boy alone.

southrnrockr wrote:

I can play most major and minor chords and some 7ths but I protest the B chord in any form.

As it should be.

You're welcome to take a look in my song books.  Most of the songs in them, especially the country one, are songs that pretty much everyone I know knows.  Of course, I suspect there are whole categories of people who haven't the foggiest. 

I'm loving the conversational messages that work in the song titles.  I'm not feeling clever enough today to participate, but those brought a smile to my face. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

8 (edited by Gundecker 2010-10-06 16:17:49)

I would think Van Morrisons' "Brown eyed girl"!  The song has had so much airplay that everyone has heard it. Who can't sing to the 'sha-la-la-la-la la la di da' part? What man hasn't had a thing for a brown eyed girl? What lady hasn't wished a man would lament for a lost love? The song is genius in it's construction,content and vocal phrasing, and even just simple chords on a box guitar will get the intent of it but also has enough to keep two guitars busy.  I never tire of hearing it. Damn I'm wordy this morning.It's the coffee..

9 (edited by tandm3 2010-10-07 01:11:21)

You Never Even Called Me By My Name is the National Anthem of the GA, AL, FL tri-state area despite what you hear about that Sweet Home/ Werewolves of London thing that Kid Rock does...:)

Now available in 5G !

Oh yeah,  almost forgot..."Almost Heaven, West Virginia..."  Who doesn't know that one??

Now available in 5G !

The Weight - The Band
A bazillion E7 blues tunes

The lead guitar guy in my "classic rock/hair " band wants us to cover Kids' sampling adventures....but he is also a self confessed Jugalo.

12 bar blues, Brown Eyed Girl, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Margueritaville, Mustang Sally.  They're not always the most exciting songs, but the fun comes from the fact most people can play them.

An easy song I came to recently, is "Witchy woman" by the Eagles. It's so simple.
The verses are E minor and B7.
The refrain where they sing the O's is:
E minor, B minor 7, B and E minor.
Sounds more difficult than it is.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

There are three different B chords in that song.  Southrnrocker has taken the absolutely sensible approach of avoiding the evil B chord in all it's hideous forms. 

Although, if you slide that to A's and D's with a capo on two, it might not be so bad...

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf is correct about my approach to the B, however if a Bm is required I have been known to slide the Am down two frets and hope nobody notices.

Zurf is funny lol   Sometimes the BM can be subsituted by D or EM, but not always. Try each chord to see if one fits ok, however there are times that only BM will sound right.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile