Topic: Never Forget - When the World Stopped Turning: A 9/11 tribute

Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning) by Alan Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8puRqE4Sc

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

2 (edited by bensonp 2010-09-10 22:20:36)

Re: Never Forget - When the World Stopped Turning: A 9/11 tribute

I was actually at work getting ready for a government inspection team to inspect us.  It was their first morning on site and we all caught the news and the team had to go back immediately to their respective installation.  They were not allowed to fly, of course, so they rented cars and returned.  I'll never forget it. And a great tribute song topdown. I just thought I would add where I was when it happened.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I was at a construction site in Winston-Salem. My secretary received a call from her sister telling her about the twin tower planes. I couldn't believe it - telling everyone to get back to work. The internet was so bogged down, you couldn't get any news. I went home for lunch and sat with my jaw on the floor watching the towers fall. It's a day I'll never forget and watching these tributes still brings tears to my eyes.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I was kind of lucky, we were in a briefing room with large screen TV and we all watched in shock.  And yes, the tribute does bring tears to your eyes.  I am an old softie anyway.  Thanks for posting that.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I was fitting some new internal doors at West Bridgeford, Nottingham for an off duty fireman when he called me to see the tragic events unfold. Both of us were shocked and horrified and could not belive what we were watching.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I was also at work but was ble to watch it all unfold on TV, only to find out later that a friend of my wife's was on flight 93, sad sad day. Like the rest of you, it's a day I'll never forget.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I remember it well.  I was teaching a group of Elementis Chromium employees the finer points of Microsoft Access at their main production base in the UK when a call came through from the US head office advising everyone on site to down tools and get to the nearest TV or radio.  It was incredibly sad seeing it all unfold.  It all makes the tag line on your signature all the more poignant Cam.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

I was servicing an account on my route and I finished my inspection,I went to the employees lunch room and found everyone in there, I watched it and talked to people and then they hit the other tower,worst thing I think I have ever seen.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I was reading a book.  My husband had been working in NYC the week before that, but he was in Albany the day of the attacks (we weren't married yet). His mother called me freaking out wanting to know where he was. After I told her, and asked what was wrong she told me to tun on the news and promptly hung up. I watched the second plane and DC and PA all live on TV... it was just horrifying.

Patriots' Day... a moment of silence in the morning 9/11

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I was checking outta a motel in Denver, Co. when the 1st plane struck. Not knowing any better I left, heading towards Louisiana, to very empty highways.

My twin brother was in central Mexico on business and could not get a plane back into the states. He finally got a flight into Mexico City, rented a car, drove to Nogales and parked the car, walked across the border and rented another car and then drove from Arizona to Louisiana.

Nela

I will never forget that day, I was stuck at work and my wife was at home less than a month away from delivering our first child and she was very scared about what was going on. Every year  9/11 reminds me  to be thankful for every day I come home from work to my family, so many people lost that opportunity on that day. If you need a shot of patriotism check out Darryl Worley Have You Forgotten or Toby Keith Courtesy of the Red White and Blue, some other artists responses to 9/11.

I'm sorry but I can't even watch the youtube tribute.  Still, nine years later, I can't get thru the day without a sinking feeling in my gut and some tears.  I'm grateful that I didn't know anyone who was killed on that day, but have friends and relatives who where unaccounted for but thankfully escaped.  We lived in the tri-state area and my husband worked in NYC.  I was working from home that day and he called to tell me to turn on the TV; I watched in horor as the 2nd plane hit, then flight 93, then the Pentegon, and as the towers fell.  I couldn't move from the TV.  Besides all the people in the buildings and on the street, I couldn't stop thinking about the people in the subways below the buildings. My husband's normal one hour commute took him nine that day.  I didn't know where he was most of the day as all phone service was cut out; he did manage to get a message to me that he was ok.  I used to work in that area years before so I was familiar with the buildings that were collapsing one by one.  The horor and the trama of 9/11/2001 and the days that followed (the Anthrax attacks) will never be forgotten.  It is still an open wound for the city.  Thank you for posting this tribute.

I was installing a swimming pool in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, when the lady we were working for came out of the house in a panic and told us to come inside to watch what had happened on the tv, we witnessed the second plane and were horrified at the site. All day we listened to CBC radio about the accounts of the day. At lunch time we rode down to the public warf and were amazed to see the Cat Ferry fill up with people and set out for
Bar Harbour, Maine. The radio reports told us that all travel to the USA was suspended. That day was a very hard thing to understand and something I will never forget.

Badeye

one caper after another

I was on the operating table at the hospital recieving a five-way heart bypass. I was surprised the doctors and nurses did such a good job on me with the T.V. news on during my surgery.
All I knew was I went to sleep with the U.S. at peace and I woke up in I.C.U. hearing the radio say we were at war. I asked everybody," How long was I out?"

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I was working in Pittsburgh PA doing renovations on a school. Trying to get home I had to travel south then east before heading north towards home as the tunnels leading into the city( the most direct route) were shut down. A fitting tribute to those who lost loved ones on that terrible day.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

On my way to work in the morning, I drove right past Dulles Airport.  I was used to seeing planes taking off and landing - huge overhead looking almost as if they were to land on the road.  That morning, a plane taking off went overhead and I got the shivers.  Later I learned that one of the planes had left Dulles about the time I was getting to work and I have always wondered if it was the one.  If I was able to feel the evil intent of the perpetrators in my car as it flew overhead.  I'll never know, but I've fairly convinced myself that it's the case.  '

Our campus included a government istallation that was important to the events of that day.  As I left, the guards who were always pleasant and waved had changed clothes to combat gear and were carrying machine guns.  Strict control of traffic was maintained.  It was spooky to leave and get on a highway and be the only one driving out there, excepting black Suburbans with government license plates, police cars, and tow trucks removing any and all abandoned vehicles. 

My wife and I sat on the edge of our bed, holding our four month old, wondering what kind of a world she was going to grow up in.  I don't think we left our bedroom all day - glued to the TV set as we were.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I was in Milan on business and had colleagues in one of the towers in our NY office. I was based in London and had sent two young lads out to New York for 6 months to work with the NY office. Thankfully nobody from our offices were lost and our thoughts were so with those who had lost people in the attack. Like everybody else we couldn't get through to anybody and had no idea what was going on, all of our meetings that day were cancelled and we spent the day watching it unfold on TV in a bar.

Being based in London we were used to terrorist attacks having spent 20 odd years being bombed by the IRA but the scale of this attack shock us badly and changed the world forever. I will never forget the tears shed at a remembrance service held at a church local to our offices in London and will never forget what was a tragic day for people everywhere.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live