Topic: New guitar VS old guitar

What I consider to be my first real guitar(not a cheap piece of crap with terrible action like the squier if bought first) is an Alvarez RD8, it is not much to look at and does not sound amazing but it is very easy to play. I had to sand the bridge down to get the saddle low enough to have good action and I straightend the neck with the truss rod but now the action is great. I recently bought an Ibanez AW100 that equally good action and playability, it is much prettier and sounds better so I thought it would become my go to guitar. After having it about 3 weeks I have found myself with the Alvarez in my hands much more often. The Alvarez is just so comfortable to me, I have learned everything I know on it and will never get rid of it I just wanted to move on to a better guitar. Does anyone else have a guitar that they just can't retire for a better one?

Re: New guitar VS old guitar

You will never have another "first guitar" - moving on to a better sound or playability is fine, but you should never retire your first love. I still grab the step-daughters Yammi that I re-learned on from time to time and it always brings a smile to my face!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Found an old Hondo Hummingbird at a pawn shop for 50 dollars, it plays better than my two newer more costly
acoustics, I'll keep the oldie till the end.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Yup. I never upgrade. I just acquire. I've got a dozen or so with no end in sight. I play some more than others but always think I'll regret getting rid of one

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

southrnrockr wrote:

Does anyone else have a guitar that they just can't retire for a better one?

Yeah, My first was and is a 1980 Ovation 1112 Balladeer.  Fantastic action, great sound and over the years that spruce top has turned into my favorite color: Gretsch Orange. Its an awesome guitar that won't quit. Ebony fretboard, mahogany neck, Lyrachord body.  Has survived numerous bar incidents... Practically, but not actually bullet proof. Alas, I wax sentimental......

Now available in 5G !

I bought an Epiphone Acoustic-Electric on my 13th birthday for $300...I get it set up every 18-24 months or so, keep new strings on it, and I just can't seem to part with her.  I'm 26 now, I've had her for 50% of my life, and I've played her almost every day.  There's no way I could "retire" her.  Even if I got a vintage Martin, I would still prefer to do my songwriting with my baby.

Music is my savior/I was maimed by Rock and Roll/I was tamed by Rock and Roll/I got my name/From Rock and Roll

-Jeff Tweedy

When I was a trumpeter in a rock band, our lead guitar player wanted to trade his 1960 Gibson ES330 with P90 single wound pickups for another Gibson solid body with a longer neck and Humbuckers. I paid him $185 for the 330 and it has been and will always be my only electric axe.
What a sound!
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

..my first cigar was a Gibson CF-100 (cut-a-way) which I sold in 1978. I've always regretted that sale &  have kept all my guitars since. My favorite guitar is my 1978 Martin M36 which has developed a beautiful deep base sound even w/ silk & steel strings. Actually prefer the sound over my newer D28!

cecwood wrote:

..my first cigar was a Gibson CF-100 (cut-a-way) which I sold in 1978. I've always regretted that sale &  have kept all my guitars since. My favorite guitar is my 1978 Martin M36 which has developed a beautiful deep base sound even w/ silk & steel strings. Actually prefer the sound over my newer D28!

Freudian slip?

lol,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Ah.. the first love. Mine is a Tokai Hummingbird.Light as a feather and dinged up but still very dear to me. Got it on my 15th bday and still have it 38 years on. It has been around the world twice and never been in a case or gig bag. She is currently undergoing restoration. Don't feel guilty,enjoy all your guitars. I can have fun on a $10 hondo!

I have an old yamaha fg401 acoustic I paid fifty dollars for,got it about sixteen years ago,I still love it even though I have better guitars,it always seems  to fit,I never worry about scratching,banging it or anytjing else.it has already survived almost any condition or accident.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

$4.00 no name Monkey Ward. I played it till my fingers bleed. I didn't even know you had to tune it. LOL.

As long as you play it and love it, keep it.  Seems to be a rule of thumb.   If it lies forgotten or left alone for a long time..........then it might be time to send it off someplace else.

Just my thoughts!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg