Topic: My picking is off today

I work a 3 day on and 3 day off rotation so I have plenty of time to practice on my off days but I have hardly played at all the past 3 days. I tried to play some today but could not get a clean chord change at all. I felt like a beginner again, a little discouraging. This usually happens to me before a big breakthrough such as learning bar chords or getting strumming and singing at the same time so I can't wait to see what is next. Does anybody else get burned out on practice or playing and if so how long does it usually last?

Re: My picking is off today

Hi south I think we all reach a plateu every now and then. I find that putting the thing down for a day or two helps

On days when my guitar don't seem to working, I grab the uke off the wall - always a nice change of pace and a uke can't help but smile on your face. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

This happens to me not only with my music, but with my drawing, my writing, and all other aspects of my life.  If you were away from the instrument for three days, you were probably distracted by issues at work, with family, etc.  This can block not only creativity, but, sometimes, the ability to do anything at all that involves concentration.

I say get your head clear first, then pick up the guitar again.  It may be a week or two from now, but you won't lose any of the progress you've made.  In fact, you might even end up playing better than you did before!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...