1 (edited by nevets17 2010-09-21 15:19:29)

Topic: "Won't be Home" - - Strumming and Singing

Ever since I learned my open chords I have been trying to nail this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcR4Y1ik6rg

I know the chords well enough and can make the changes from Am to C to G to D to Em but at my own speed. In the inro of this video he is playing G, D , Em, C ..at NASCAR speed. What kind of srumming pattern is this? It looks like he is using more of his wrist than the up and down arm pendullum motion I was taught.

Another problem I am having is the singing. I can't match the speed of my words to the speed or rhythmn of the playing. Is this song too difficult for a beginner? I picked it because it has the chords I know but it doesn't seem to be as easy as something like "Who'll Stop the Rain".

Any help, tips, tricks and advice would be appreciated.

Re: "Won't be Home" - - Strumming and Singing

I don't know what you mean by at my own speed but the chord changes do not look too fast in the song but the strumming will be tough to master. If you like it and really want to learn it I don't think it would be that hard. Just listen to it over and over again until you have the rythem stuck in your head and sit down and try to duplicate it. Repeat this process over and over again until you get it. Also don't try to sing it until you can play it all the way through. Once you master playing the song then you can add in the singing. It has taken me long periods of time to learn songs I have heard most of my adult life but once you develop a system to learn songs that works for you it will become easier to add new songs to your play list.

Hi Nevets... You've been playing longer than I have, so I have a hard time commenting on this one, but I'll give it a try anyway!  I do think, like Southernrockr says, if you try hard enough you can do it!  It may take a while, but you can!  My biggest suggestion would be to start out at your own speed; slow this song down!  I would try first to figure out that strumming pattern, then do the changes with the pattern.  Then work on speeding it up a little... maybe not quite as fast as he is, but a little so that it sounds something like the song to you.  THEN work on adding in the words.  The lyrics don't seem to go "easily" with the rhythm so it will be quite tricky.  May I suggest once you get the song down at a speed you like, record it, then try to just sing along with it?  If you can handle that, then try playing and singing along with YOUR recorded version at YOUR speed.  Then just work up from there once you can get the lyrics where they belong. 

I had to do that with a couple songs I've played.  There were times when I almost gave up as I swore I'd never be able to play and sing at the same time as the timing/rhythm just FELT so far off... but once you get it all together, it sounds AWESOME and you'll be gosh darn proud of yourself!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Listen to it and try it over and over, It'll get easier and you'll get sick of it

Use a metronome.  Anytime you hear boom, it's a down strum. Any time you hear da-da it's down-up.  Any time you hear da-da-da its down-up-up.  He uses down, down-up, and down-up-up in different combinations through out.  Get a metronome and practice playing one down stroke, one down stroke and one upstroke, and one down stroke and two upstrokes all in the same time.  Once you can get the timing of doing the different strokes each within a single beat, you'll be well on your way.  As far as how to combine down, down-up, and down-up-up, I think that's going to be more of a feel thing.  But if you try to play it that fast immediately, you will fail and you will continue to fail. 

Also, you need to be able to make the chord changes smoothly and cleanly in time with the music.  If you cannot do that, then you need to pull that metronome out again and set it slow and make the chord changes IN TIME.  As you learn to make the chord changes in time, slowly increase the speed on the metronome and continue to practice.  It may take thousands of times doing each chord change to get it ingrained into your fingers so that you make it in time with the song rather than in your own time. 

Rhythm is FAR more important than accuracy of the notes.  If you mess up the rhythm, you've messed up the song. 

If you want to play fast like that guy, then you need to start slow and work your way up to it.  You need the muscle memory.  If you are trying to play fast like that right from the get-go, you will never, ever succeed at cleanly playing that song because you will be practicing errors in timing and chord fingerings.  Do it only as quickly as you can do it cleanly and accurately.  Accuracy first.  Speed will come. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for all of your help.

Back when I was taking lessons my teacher told me NOT to watch that video but watch and learn this guy covering it instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_0ZxryRd0

His strumming pattern seems a lot easier to master. Does anyone have a clue what it is?
D D U D U D U ??

What songs have you become proficient at mekidsmom? I recall you being a newbie around the same time I started and was just wondering what songs you have mastered.

*bump*

This is easier to play than explain but I will have a go.

The pattern for each beat is D   DUD. The values are quaver (eighth note), demisemiquaver (thirtysecond note), demisemiquaver (thirtysecond note), semiquaver (sixteenth note).

If that is as clear as mud smile try this:

count: 1  2  3 and 4
play:   D      D  U  D

Do it slowly at first to get the pattern fixed and then increase the tempo until you can play four repetitions of that pattern as one bar (measure).

I hope that helps.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"