Topic: Are old (new) strings useable?

I just got two boxes of new (in the package)guitar strings. Mostly Gibson
and Black Diamond. They are at least 50 years old. Are they still usable?
  Thanks   mark996owl

Re: Are old (new) strings useable?

If they're not really rusty, try them on. If they are no longer servicible they will break when you pull them up tight or fret out flat at the twelvth (octave) fret.
If they work right, you will be a happy picker.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Are they rusty? If not, I'd say string 'em up and try 'em out! But you gotta play some old blues or country - them old strings ain't gonna take to well to playin' some new fangled heavy rap pop funk metal junk. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

If they aren't any good you can use them to hang pictures and such

Butch8844 wrote:

If they aren't any good you can use them to hang pictures and such

You betcha. An old guitar string and two screw-eyes make a dandy picture hanger.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

You can always use the low E.A.and D for fishing leaders. Cut them to length twist a loop in both end and add a little solder. Works great

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Maybe there is a collectors market for old guitar strings. I would look into it before I used any guitar strings that were 50 years old, you may have something of some value. If they are not collectible then it cant hurt to try em!

Thanks for all your good advice. No there not rusted.  So I'll try them on E-Bay first. if no go, I'll hang a few pictures with them. Maybe throw a set on one of my clunkers and tune it to an open "D". Thanks Guys  mark996owl

Talk about getting that vintage sound! And a great opening line for a blues song:
"My gitar is fawty but mah strings is fitty year old..."