Topic: Random Question

I have just started to learn play the Guitar. I purchased a Yamaha APX500 which is an electric acoustic guitar with steel strings. However I have just realised that I should have got a guitar with nylon strings. The tips of my index, middle and ring finger are very sore. Has anyone got any tips for me apart from giving up playing...............

Regards
Simon P

Re: Random Question

Keep playing.  Your fingers aren't sore, they aren't sore enough.

Building up callouses is a right of passage.  You have to be a bit of a masochist to play.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Soak in vinegar that will help get them tougher

Hi Simon

Welcome to Chordie.  You are currently going through the same pain EVERYBODY has when beginning to play guitar.  All I can advise is that it will get better as you begin to fevelop hard pads on the end of each finger.  This phase of pain lasts for different lengths of time depending very much on how much you play and also depends on the individual.  In my case I suffered the pain for around 2 weeks.  The main thing to remember is that when the pain is bad stop for a while.  Don't stop for an extended period though or you will need to suffer all over again.
One thing is certain is that once the fingers are hardened to it you won't ever regret going through the pain.  Stick with it - it's worth it.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

Hi Simon P
Welcome to Chordie.
I'm afraid there's no way round sore fingers tips even getting the odd blister when learning the guitar it comes with the territory.
Just remember it will get better in time they will harden with use just don't overdo the playing when they are really sore or blistered.
We all have gone through it a some time it's a question of gritting yer teeth and keeping at it..
ark

no pain no gain hang in there smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Never give up.  Learning the guitar is an experience that is well worth it.  As everyone says, your fingers will get better with time.  A little practice every day should do it.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pain is good. Keep at it and it'll pass, like everyone says.

APX500 is a nice guitar. Too nice to give up on.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Fellow Friends,Thank's for the advice. You have all made me feel welcome. I will stick with it............

Regards

Simon P

10 (edited by zguitar 2010-10-22 20:54:25)

The Apx500 is a very nice guitar Simon. I got one last year (blue burst) and I love it. Very easy to play and sounds great.

Just keep at it and the pain will turn to pleasure.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

As an after thought Simon have someone who knows take a look at your new ax to make sure it is set-up right. Also invest in a capo. But it's gonna hurt for awhile

Yes! Keep playing! After a while it will hurt so good you won't even notice.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Butch makes a good point, it's possible your guitar could use a set or to lower the action on your strings. The sore fingers are common and most likely they will stay somewhat sore even after getting them use to it, but they will get better so keep plugging away you be so glad you did and welcome to Chordie.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Good to know that you'll stick with it.  We've all gone through it.  Sometimes I go through it again (a little bit) when I don't play for a while. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!!!

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

Near as I can tell, there are probably only 7-10 people in the whole world who should ( or should have) played nylon stringed guitars. Most of those are dead.  I think three are still alive. Everyone else who aspires to the guitar is stuck with steel strings.  They be us smile

Now available in 5G !

17 (edited by dino48 2010-10-25 01:59:19)

willie nelson uses nylon strings sometimes.,pain is just part of it when you start,it won't last forever. keep the fingernails short.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Butch8844 wrote:

Soak in vinegar that will help get them tougher

Yep, Butch is right.  That's an old baseball pitcher's trick for making blisters turn to callouses quicker.  Pickle juice will work also if there's no straight vinegar around.

You should eventually get a callous on your fourth finger as well.

Some more good advice:

Resist the temptation to file your fingertips down too much (do it just enough to remove loose bits), otherwise your fingers will get as sore as a newbie's all over again.

Do not use any of the following on your callouses:  belt sander, angle grinder, palm/mouse sander, Dremel tool.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

tandm3 wrote:

Near as I can tell, there are probably only 7-10 people in the whole world who should ( or should have) played nylon stringed guitars. Most of those are dead.  I think three are still alive. Everyone else who aspires to the guitar is stuck with steel strings.  They be us smile

With the exception of classical and flamenco players obviously!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

The pain from nylon strings is just as bad as from steel strings.  As others have said repeatedly: stick with it and the sore fingers (including the really debilitating pain you may get down the middle of some fingers for a while) will eventually be just a bad memory.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Hey Simon, welcome to Chordie!  I've waited to comment on this thread, cuz there's not a whole lot more to say than the guys have... it gets better.  I started with my husband's Steel guitar for a few weeks... fingers KILLED... then he bought me a nylon... they still hurt but I got used to it quickly.  Finally I wanted my own steel... and it was like learning all over again until I built up callouses.  Consider this... girlie hands that are manicured and moisturized regularly and in water all day long as a job requirement - I still have managed to "earn" my callouses and can play for a few hours before my fingers start hurting too much to go on.  If my fingertips can do it, then yours can too!  Keep it up, and you'll be moving along fast soon!  My biggest complaint when I started was that my fingers couldn't handle playing for as long as my brain wanted to, but eventually your fingers will catch up, I promise!!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

PapaTom wrote:

The pain from nylon strings is just as bad as from steel strings.  As others have said repeatedly: stick with it and the sore fingers (including the really debilitating pain you may get down the middle of some fingers for a while) will eventually be just a bad memory.

If you play often your fingers will get tough. My callouses will crack and peel and in order to smooth my fingertips out so that they don't get caught on the strings I use a nail file to sand my fingertips smooth again.

Hi again simon,once you get them real hard,try not to wash dishes,that got me out of doing them,instead I ended up cleaning litter boxes for the cats daily.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Seems everytime My finger calluses get so roughed up due to insufficient practice, I have to sand or file them down. Don't you know that is when I get a call to play all night long somewhere.
Both my guitars a well set up but the finger tips get sore and stay sore.
I had no calluses to speak of when I booked a gig that went six nights in a row. I had calluses by the weeks end but was still sore underneath.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I didn't knoew that if I played a guitar I got out of doing the dishes and the laundry!!! I'm on cloud 9!!!! Woopie!!!!