1 (edited by naolslager 2010-10-30 13:38:50)

Topic: Lessons: To Be or Not to Be

I know someone here at Chordie can prop me up with motivation and/or advice.

I've been learning to play for almost two years and I am not satisfied with my progress although I have made quite a bit. I think my problem is not lack of ambition or dedication but the lack of a plan. (I LOVE practicing!) Therefore I am contemplating lessons so that I will have someone to help me set goals and someone I am accountable to.

Can someone offer me a few pointers on what to look for in a instructor? Invariably the first question they ask is what type of music do I want to play and I usually cannot answer this very well. I suppose I should print out the content of my iPod for disucssion?

I will appreicate any advice. Thanks Chordie friends.
dj

Re: Lessons: To Be or Not to Be

Hi naol, I had a piano teacher, who taught me what I wante to know, whch was jazz. I didn't leard how to read music but lead sheets. So it really depends on what you want to do. Also, the best way to lean is find some one who plays better then you also a good way to learn is get in a band

Hi nao,I think we all go through these periods of no insperation. I have stopped afew times and picked my guitar up again and found I really missed playing, I have also changed the music I was playing,I got into alot of fingerpicking and also into flaminco music. I think if you feel the need you might get a teacher for awile. Take a look at where your music is and what inspires you to pick up your guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

So why are you not satisfied with your progress? If you don't have a plan and don't set goals then how do you gauge yourself? Are your expectations too high at this point? I ask these questions because I have been playing for about 2 years also and I couldn't be happier with what I have learned. I'm actually surprised at my progress. I'm not bragging!!! Just saying that the first few years you should be growing by leaps and bounds. I find myself at a plateau right now, progress is a little slow with barre chords and all. But I know I will get thru it. So maybe you should step back and look at what you have learned and make sure that it is all polished and to the best of your ability. That will make new stuff easier to take on. Then decide on what you want to learn next and start your journey again.

Lessons can be a very useful route to go especially if you need a structure to stick too. I imagine that every instructor is different. All you can do is talk to them and find out how and what they teach.

Good luck

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi dj
I found taking lessons I was accountable for my two weeks between lessons and that was a good motivation to move along.  If you get a good match in your instructor you'll feel comfortable changing directions when the lesson being suggested doesn't interest you and you can share your interests openly. 
We all get to plateau's like Z says.  During these times work on some new skills such as bar chords or fingerpicking.  If you're practicing in sitting position, work towards standing.  Or perhaps all your focus is on your fret hand and you need to spend some time on the picking hand.  Perhaps you should set a goal to play in front of others such as an open mic.  Pic two decent songs you would need to know and begin  setting your sights.  Good luck.
Steve