1 (edited by nevets17 2010-11-23 15:53:07)

Topic: Bluegrass Rhthmn and Chord Formation

Hello,

A professional guitar player posted this about bluegrass rhythm/picking on another message board and I found it to be confusing (big suprise!). Does anyone here understand what he is talking about?

"It’s also much tricker to play with electric guitars than accoustic due to the sustain. If you just slam through it, you get mud. I usually try to lock into the rhythm and then control the sustain with the heel of my right hand and then usually playing the bottom four string versions of the chords. In particular, the “D" formation up and down the neck and the “A"  formation but make it with your pinkie 3 frets higher than your index finger. In other words, Mash down the bottom four strings with your index finger on the 2nd fret and then fret the bottom 2 strings on the 5th fret to make “A" . Make sense? That’s also very useful for playing country licks out of."

Re: Bluegrass Rhthmn and Chord Formation

Ummmm, no not really.  I get the part about controlling sustain with the heel of his palm.  Electric guitars continue to pick up the note long after the vibrations of the strings would not be audible on an acoustic guitar.  So you have to control the vibration and dampening is the only good way of doing that I know of. 

As far as the chording and picking instructions, it would probably be useful (to me) to know what question he was answering with that response. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

He really wasn't answering a specific question. He just posted about how he couldn’t play a lick of bluegrass rhythm/picking when he started in the band and it took him a while to get it where he was comfortable (about 5 years of constant playing/touring). Another band member of his was the same, although he was ahead of him with that style of rhythm in those days.

D is a movable chord and he's giving you the fingering for a movable A. Using these two fingerings up and down the neck will cover most of your chords (think of them as barre chords).  You'll see a lot of bluegrass players using these, especially when doing lead runs. Not sure if that answers your question or not.... If not let me know what you're needing explained and I'll try to help...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

No Thank you. I think this stuff is way over my head. I need to re-evaluate and re-structure my learning process. Right now I feel like I am not moving forward. I am sure we have all been there.

It may seem intimidating but believe me it's really quite simple... Tackling the things that we think are out of reach is what moves us forward wink 

Just take your D chord fingering (xx0232),  now just slide that up 2 frets (xxx454  Just strum the fretted strings) and you have E, move up one more to 565 and you have an F, etc...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]