Topic: Played Open Mic Tonite

Just returned home from Open Mic at our local , Coffee shop . Open mic is first and third friday of every month. Lots of young folks there tonite. They limited everyone to three songs tonight.  I wanted to take my guitar with the new pickup in it and see how it sounded. There were twelve folks signed up before me so I had some time to jam in the backroom.

There's a local boy 16 yrs old that I think lots of folks will be hearing.
I jammed with Tommy on a few songs and I asked him to play lead on a couple with me. We played Hoochie Coochie Man and Got my Mojo Workin, and Longhaired Country Boy in the back room and I decided to play Longhaired Country Boy with him. We worked out a pretty cool arrangement.

I started out with "Hello In There" and then played an original "I Coulda Been"  Tommy was supposed to play lead on it with me but he was outside smoking , Darn kids anyway. He showed up and played "Longhaired Country Boy" with me and it was fun. Remembered all the words to all of them. The host asked me to play one more so I finished with "Sam Stone". I didn't have a songbook with me so I was proud of myself for making it through all of them and without stumbling on the lyrics.

We had some folks in the back of the room that were a little noisy so it was a little distracting and I missed a chord change on Sam Stone but other than that it was cool. I don't think many noticed anyway.

My wife didn't know that I put the new pickup in my guitar and commented that my guitar sound just awesome tonight. She is not a musician but has a very good ear. I let her in on the new pickup and she said yeh no wonder it sounded so good!

Not much for nerves tonight , I just grabbed a high top stool and sat down and played. I was worried about "Hello In There"
Cause sometimes I get them huge emotional waves and the quivering starts, but not tonite smile

I credit much of my ability to be able to get up and do this thing to my friends Southpaw & Topdown they supported and inspired me when I needed it .

Chordie is a great site , with Great Folks !

Later, Wayne P

Re: Played Open Mic Tonite

A fun time had by all no doubt!  Great job Wayne, and how nice to be asked to do another!  Cudos my friend, and finding others to play with seems to be quite priceless.  Every time I think I've found someone nearby they tend to let me down.  I'm glad Tommy showed back up for one song with you smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Sounds like you had a real fun night Wayne. It must have felt good to be asked for an encore smile Can't beat Sam Stone.

Well Done

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

What a rush I have had when doing this; but then again, I am still a newbie.  Sounds like a great time, especially for someone with your talent Wayne.  I am sure if you gave them a performance like you have shared with us chordians from time to time, then you were great.  Nice your misses was there to share it with you.  That sounds nice.  Your story about your young playing accomplice reminds me of a saying I heard once that said: Youth is wasted on the young!  Oh, to still be able to do some of the things I did when younger, especially knowing what I have learned as I have got older.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Yes it was a fun night and it is always fun to play with others, but playing with others and getting up and playing by yourself
and putting yourself in the spotlight is a different experience. Anyone who has done this knows the courage it takes and the concentration and everthing else that goes with it.
I have gotten over my anxieties about doing it and can now enjoy myself and have a great time. I went through a period a couple years ago when I thought everyone played better than I did and I was going through some real insecurites. Anyway I just wanted to relay some of the things I have gone through.

Thanks Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

You inspire me, Wayne.   Been working up the nerve to play and sing in front of an audience.  Have lots of experience in just singing with the band of long ago, but this would just be a couple of guitars and a mic.   Yep, you've inspired me.!     Kudos to you!!!!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

KAP54 wrote:

Sounds like you had a real fun night Wayne. It must have felt good to be asked for an encore smile Can't beat Sam Stone.

Well Done

Ken

Thanks, Ken and great to hear from you again !   Yes I have been asked to do another the past couple times that I have performed and it sure makes the night smile

Later, Wayne P

gabbysings2 wrote:

You inspire me, Wayne.   Been working up the nerve to play and sing in front of an audience.  Have lots of experience in just singing with the band of long ago, but this would just be a couple of guitars and a mic.   Yep, you've inspired me.!     Kudos to you!!!!!

Thanks Gabby,
You sing like an angel , so my advice would be to share your talent with others. If you have another guitar player that can kind of carry you or just have them there to lean on it would be good to get your feet on the ground.

One thing I like to do if I am performing with a house PA is to talk a little and interact with the crowd before I start and strum a little also. This way I can get a feel for how hot the mics are and get a feel before take off.

Later, Wayne P

Glad to hear it went well for you, Wayne.  Sounds fun.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi ya Wayne, Really glad to hear that things are going well and how your confidence is building.

Sure is tough to get up by yourself and perform. I like the full band setting myself. If I make a mistake

I can look around and act as though it was someone else?lol  Played bass for a garage band last night,

in a garage(oh?), and not having played bass in a band setting for a long time I now have two large

blisters on two picking fingers. Got a gig in a couple weeks so all will be well by then. I'll use a pick when

it fits but we played alot of good country tunes where finger plucking is better for me. Anyway keep on

having fun.     Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Excellent.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have no confidence in my voice, so don't see me doing any open mics, but I'll do open campfires and man-caves.  All the recordings of yours I've listened to were just great.  I'd surely enjoy hearing you out at an open mic night, that's for sure.  Have fun, and encourage that smoking rascal. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Heya Mike,

Yes, playing with others is alot of fun and you can always give them the look like what the heck you doin, when you hit a clunker or miss a chord change smile

Even having a backup singer seems to relax most folks or someone to interact with a little. I aint trying to scare people away from going solo, but it is so much different than playing with a band. Seems I have always been very comfortable when I have my own equipment, but House PA's and mics differ so much and if no ones at the soundboard it's not good. I guess I worry too much and want to have it sound good if possible.

Sounds like you're having fun , sounds like my kinda gig. Hope the up comin gig goes well smile

Later, Wayne P

13 (edited by wlbaye 2010-12-06 01:50:06)

Zurf wrote:

Excellent.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have no confidence in my voice, so don't see me doing any open mics, but I'll do open campfires and man-caves.  All the recordings of yours I've listened to were just great.  I'd surely enjoy hearing you out at an open mic night, that's for sure.  Have fun, and encourage that smoking rascal. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf,
I have to brag on my new pickup a little , I was told my guitar sounded awesome by a couple folks and Lizzie said your guitar sounded like it really filled the room tonight . Sure makes me feel good.
I really like playing out once I get started and it seems you can get into the music alot better for an audience, than sitting and playing to yourself.

I will try and get a recording of Tommy, this kid is absolutely unbelievable. He plays Freeborn Man in Tony Rice style and does it solo and the picking singing and whole package is stunning. He won't be here much longer this kid is headed for the big time. I just hope he can keep his head on straight and has someone looking out for him.

Keep singing and playing Zurf, remember it's the only voice your gonna have so make the best of it. I work hard to find the songs I can do with my limited vocal range and there are lots of performers that have done very well with less than great vocals.
The more you play at campfires or man-caves is gonna make you better and give you the confidence to be performer smile

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

I credit much of my ability to be able to get up and do this thing to my friends Southpaw & Topdown they supported and inspired me when I needed it .

Chordie is a great site , with Great Folks !

Wayne - I thank you for the kind words, but it is you that supplied the talent. If my little bit of encouragement helped, I am happy to have provided it. Like you say, the folks here at chordie are great and I have been inspired by many of them and have had the chance to jam with a few of them. My singing is far from ready for the public, but fellow chordians have encouraged and inspired me enough that I am no longer too shy to belt out a few tunes in front of friends and family. What I lack in talent, I make up for in volume!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

good for you wlbaye,sounds like you had a great friday night. I usually do not quiver or get emotional untill I see an attractive lady I like,but I am a single man.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well done, Wayne, sounds like a great evening!
I was playing a local open-mic quite regularly, and really thought I had turned a corner with my playing & singing - I suddenly felt much more relaxed and confident on stage. But the last couple of times there were some brilliant performers, and I had to wait quite a while to play. And when my turn came I made a few mistakes! So, it was a bit of a setback. But however bad I feel sometimes, I know that most people would give their eye teeth to be able to play an instrument & sing, even to my standard!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic