Topic: Hello, I must be going...

Hey, thanks for the hospitality this past year, everybody.  However, the reality is that I'm a uke player who has been trying too hard to "force" belonging to this club of guitarists.  Well, I've now found Ukulele Underground, which is a forum devoted exclusively to uke players, and I no longer feel like a vegetarian at a pig roast!

Anyway, I probably won't be boring you with my dopey ukulele stories and questions a whole lot anymore, but I wanted to say a proper goodbye and thank you.

Happy Holidays, all!

Papa Tom

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Re: Hello, I must be going...

Don't go to far Papa!! This is a good place to just hang out.

But we LOVE ukelele stories.  Please check in with us now and then.  Don't make it goodbye, but just 'so long.'

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well why don't you pick up a guitar and stick around??????? After all, isn't a guitar just a big uke with 2 more strings?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with all the above said ,you don't have too make yourself a stranger!!.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey PapaTom smile
Congrats on your find. Hoping the folks are as friendly as they are here at Chordie. Throw us the link and in the mean time...don't be a stranger.

Merry Christmas

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

"Ukulele stories"? I didn't know such things existed! Don't go, Tom, without sharing at least one!

Yeah it dosen't mean you have to leave us, you can certainly still check in here, if I'm not mistaken there's a section for "other stringed instruments", by the way...since you mention vegetarians... I'm wondering...are vegetarians allowed to eat animal crackers..I'm just wondering, I don't know, I struggle with these questions, but again please keep checking in with us.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks all, but I don't feel like I've contributed a whole lot here.  Plus my NEW group serves chocolate donuts.  This link for the ukulele forum should work: 

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum … 4-Uke-Talk

Regarding my "uke stories," I now don't remember if I posted them here or at the uke forum.  (Ooh...the anticipation of finding them must be killing you!  smile

I am a strict vegetarian.  The best vegetarian line anybody ever fed me was from my shamelessly carnivorous son, who asked me one day:

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of MEAT?"

Happy New Year, all!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

You'll be missed around here!!!  I love your stories!  I can't say there's many memorable UKE stories... but lots of other ones!  Come back and visit once in a while, the Chat section is always a great place to hang out.  ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAYS!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I too would miss you and your tales if you deserted us completely so please pop back in as often as you can.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

12 (edited by PapaTom 2010-12-23 17:54:22)

Awwww shucks.  You guys are so mushy.  Now I'm feeling really guilty for leaving.

Anyway, maybe you can give me some advice on this one:

My job with our local township went from working on a summer concert series to being a sort of audio/visual/entertainment coordinator in several community centers during the fall and winter season.  During this time, I did a lot of "extra" favors for senior citizens groups that come in twice a week.  This included restoring all the "whole-house" music systems and putting together special playlists of 1940's tunes, showtunes, Christmas songs, etc for them.  It also involved playing my uke with a senior chorus sponsored by the town.

Well, at Christmas time, the senior ladies wanted to do something special for me, so they put together a little bag of goodies.  Most of it was chocolate, green tea, and other things they know I like, but one particular item was a little off the mark.  Apparently, one of the women has a grandson who's a musician, so she asked him what she could buy me for my "guitar."  Bottom line:  I ended up with five sets of D'Addario EXL110 Electric Guitar Strings.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that these would not fit my ukulele, so I gushed appropriately and took them home.

So now I'm stuck with these brand new electric guitar strings that I can't use.  However, I can really use some strings for all my ukes (and the new mandolin that just fell into my lap).  I don't have any kind of receipt (they seem to sell for between $5-6 a set) and, after a few years of buying most of my uke stuff online, have let all my relationships with local music store guys lapse.

Ideally, I'd like to trade these for some Aquila Nylgut uke strings, but if that isn't possible, I'd like to give them away, perhaps, to some type of guitar school for disadvantaged kids.

Any ideas?

(PS:  I will be away, with no web access, until December 26.  I will check back here then.  Happy Holidays, all!)