Topic: So THAT'S my problem when playing electric

I've got too many strings.  Seems you only need three strings and a cardboard box. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_0k3hzNS4

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: So THAT'S my problem when playing electric

Pretty good boogey sound for three strings.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

that was great! it seems having a whole lotta talent helps to nice link Zurf smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Love this guy!!!!!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Seasick Steve's a legend, I bought his last album. He's the only multi millionaire I know that dresses like a tramp and only has three strings on his guitar.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

OH MY GAWD !!!!!!
Guess I'm been livin under a rock...First time I've seen this dude.
Ya don't teach dat stuff...   Thank for the heads up Zurf.

Kinda makes me wanna drag out one of them 100.00 beaters and get ta choppin on it.  heheee

Great videos and great performances. I had to check out some of his other stuff and was really impressed. I can no longer use " I broke a string " as an excuse to stop playing. Thanks for the link Zurf.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I liked this guy so much I did a little quick research and found out that he Uses a Roland Cube amp set to the tweed setting and is tuned G G B. He's using an E in the A position, D in G and G in B. This guy is really pretty well known and has released some albums ( CDs to the younger crowd). Thanks again Zurf

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Holy Moly ...That's all I can say... smile

Very cool how he plays what he feels and doesn't give a crap what others around him feel.

Great link Zurf Thanks

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

The legend is that at one time he was so broke that when he broke the guitar strings he couldn't afford to buy new ones, so he played with what he had.  He's doing better now that he's been discovered.  I've got no reason to know whether that's true, but I've got no reason to doubt it either.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  Reminds me a lot of John Lee Hooker's rhythms.  "This boy's got to boogie woogie.  It's in him, and it's got to come out...."

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

11 (edited by cameronkl7 2010-12-22 03:29:06)

My favorite song of his is the "Chigger Song" in especially the version he does in the black cab sessions

Cam       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNA93RPoL0

I had read before that he was born in Oakland California or at least lived there a while, then tried to make it in Nashville but no one wanted him and that he now lives in Norway.

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Excellent!  Pure roots music.Thanks all who provided links and information.

I used to work with a 13-year-old saxophone player who could make his junky sax wail like Seasick Steve's guitar.
A sax player buddy of mine lent him a Selmer Mark 6 sax worth thousands of dollars and the kid couldn't get a sound out of it. He was so used to forcing a sound out of his junker he completely pinched off the reed on a quality instrument.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Has anyone ever seen a Strumbly? Like Seasick Steve's electric guitar, it has only three strings and  I think it's fretted to play only whole notes. They are remarkable easy to play, or so I'm told.

Like the man himself says - he started out with nothin' and he's still got most of it left.

Legend!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Changing topic a little, Alvee's comment reminded me of my Dad on the occasion of my parent's 25th anniversary.  Someone asked him why he married my mother.  He said, "I married her for her wealth."  Confused by our middle class home, he asked the follow-up question, "So why are you still married?"  Dad said, "I'm still waiting for it."  The joke of it is that my mother grew up in the sort of circumstances you see in picture books depicting the poverty of Appalachia.