1 (edited by mcclatch 2010-12-21 17:25:01)

Topic: strumming pattern nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi all,
im trying to learn guitar and have managed to learn a decent few chords.

my problem is that i am blessed with the rhythm of a donkey and cannot sustain any sort of strumming pattern or timing,

are there any tips or tricks that i can use, or does practice really just make perfect?

thanks!

p.s sorry ive just discovered this forum and questions keep popping into my head! so much to learn...

"just keep strumming, just keep strumming, just keep strumming, strummming, strummming"

Re: strumming pattern nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi MC,

There are dozens of sites on line to give strumming patterns, just do a search for "strumming patterns" and take your pick, then practice, practice and more practice. Also after awhile you just strum what you feel, put your touch on it, how you hear it, how you feel it, this gives it your personality. Good luck with your practice and keep checking back with us, lots of great help here.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Buy a metronome and practice drills with it.

I have a metronome but what sort of drills would i do? Just to
keep time on downstrums to start with?

"just keep strumming, just keep strumming, just keep strumming, strummming, strummming"

ok lets start at the beginning try this simple strum pattern count 1 2 3 4 and  down strum on each count do this till you dont have to count anymore keep it slow and even to start and gradually speed up then try this stum pattern 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and substitute down up for 1 and 2 so its down up down up down up down up keep the meter or time even as before start slow and graduall speed up, the key is to keep the time even after a while when you feel comfortable move on to other strum patterns when your ready.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Ok thanks, i think ive got it. Ill practice it asap and see how it goes!

Cheers. Nathan.

Downstrokes only, upstrokes only, alternating downstrokes and upstrokes in quarter notes, eighths and 16th to start.

Then try some drills where the metronome doesnt tick on the quarter note - it ticks on the half note, the whole note, or every other whole note. This will help you internalize tempo.

Hi MC, welcome aboard!!!

do a Google search for:

mike herberts 10 strum video

Practice is the key. You should be able to strum without thinking about it. Stick with it and you'll get better.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

All good advice, just wanted to welcome  you aboard if I haven't already!  So... WELCOME to Chordie and the forums!

I think it took me a good six months before I was capable of doing a couple different strum patterns.  Even now I have to practice a bit before I can get a new one down decent enough not to lose myself while singing.  Practice might not always make perfect, but it will make things better!  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Downstrokes only, upstrokes only, alternating downstrokes and upstrokes in quarter notes, eighths and 16th to start.

Then try some drills where the metronome doesnt tick on the quarter note - it ticks on the half note, the whole note, or every other whole note. This will help you internalize tempo.

Now stop that! I am learning to play too but I cannot read music so I go by the tabs. "...quarter notes, eighths and 16 to start..." ? Is that .25 cents, 12.5 cents and three nickels and a penny? The more I read some of this the more confused I get...sigh....

bunbun wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Now stop that! I am learning to play too but I cannot read music so I go by the tabs. "...quarter notes, eighths and 16 to start..." ? Is that .25 cents, 12.5 cents and three nickels and a penny? The more I read some of this the more confused I get...sigh....

LOL!

If I can add my .02 cents here... (and I know that 'cents' would be more correctly used in a discussion on tuning... not strumming)...

Simply think of a quarter note as each time your hand passes down across the strings (count 1, 2, 3, 4).

Once you have that and can get a good sound, add the eighth note -  this would be when the hand is coming back up across the strings (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and etc).

Standard TAB notation for this would be:
\/ /\   \/ /\   \/ /\     \/ /\
(1  &   2  &   3  &    4  &)   

and this is really just a diagram of what the strumming hand is doing (\/ = down and /\ = Up).

Now to get different strumming patterns just leave out a strum while maintaining this up-down motion.

\/ ~    \/ ~    \/ /\    \/ ~   (repeat)
1  &    2  &    3  &    4  &   
================
\/ ~    \/ ~    \/ /\     ~ /\   (repeat)
1  &    2  &    3  &    4  &
================
\/ ~   \/ ~     ~ /\     \/ /\   (repeat)
1  &   2  &     3  &     4  &

~ = move across the strings but do not strum them.

More complex strum patterns can be created by leaving other strums out - even combining two or more patterns across several measures of music.

Good luck!

John 3:16 NIV ASB KJV - doesn't matter  - Truth is truth in any translation!  smile

mcclatch wrote:

hi all,
im trying to learn guitar and have managed to learn a decent few chords.

my problem is that i am blessed with the rhythm of a donkey and cannot sustain any sort of strumming pattern or timing,

are there any tips or tricks that i can use, or does practice really just make perfect?

thanks!

p.s sorry ive just discovered this forum and questions keep popping into my head! so much to learn...

I feel your pain!  And yes, practice does make perfect.  Being a klutzoid myself, all I can add is that you have come to the right place to get good advice.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

13 (edited by NELA 2011-03-01 00:31:28)

mcclatch, you've gotten some good information from the above posts and this is not something that will be difficult to learn if you spend the time. You just need to take your time and learn to feel the music and the rythem. A real simple pattern to learn would be a 12 bar blues pattern with a 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 (repeat) strum. I dont know what chords you have learned but a simple 1 - 4 - 5 (57) progression is all you need.  I'm going to use a "G" progression as these are easy chords and the strum pattern would be; (any chord progression would work, though)

G Chord (4 bars)
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

C Chord (2 bars)
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

G Chord (2 bars)
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

D Chord (D7 chord) (1 bar)
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

C Chord
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (1 bar)

G Chord
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (2 Bars)

All numbers are downstrums and all &'s are upstrums. Each 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & equals 1 bar and this sequence is a total of 12 bars and then it repeats itself throught the song. Very simple and can be played fast or slow. Just walk into any Honky Tonk with a band and holler 12 bar blues in "E" and everyone will know it.

Ane welcome to Chordie.

Nela

What NELA said!!  smile

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Most inexperienced guitarists need work on strumming rhythm.
I learned by playing along with a video or record or a song I wanted to learn. Once you have the chord changes down, strum along with the band over and over enough times until you fall into the rhythm of what they are doing.
When it comes to finger picking, you need either a clear video of both the guitarist's hands or a video tutorial to learn.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Someone told me that strumming rhythm was the hardest part. But never I had a problem with it. It just seem to come to me naturally.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I share your pain also.  I finally learned the 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, but it was like learning a new language.  Here is what I found helped me.  When I practice strumming I mute my strings.  I put my left hand over the strings so all I get is a string buzz and not the tones to throw me off. I Find that if I practice the strumming before I practice playing it helps me a good bit.  It's been a year and 3 months since I started to teach myself guitar and Chordie has been helping me every step of the way.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.