Topic: Favorite finger picking pattern??

I love how finger picking sounds and have found several patterns that I like, but am always excited to learn more. Does anybody have any that they like and would share?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Re: Favorite finger picking pattern??

Hi auxi, I just experment as I ga along

Sorry I can't explain my style of picking, it's is just something I picked up along the way. Try and practice/learn as many styles as possible or you'll end up like me and have only one basic style of picking to show after many years of playing.

Ken smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I found some patterns from this site that I really liked.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

What you want is this:  http://www.amazon.com/Art-Contemporary- … 0936799005  Highly recommended.  Be aware that if you do the exercises, it will take about a year to get all the way through the book.  There is a companion volume by the same author, called "The Art of Solo Fingerpicking" which is also highly recommended; I can't tell you how long that one takes, since I'm still working on it.

One thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't get attached to a certain pattern for a whole song.  It's very worthwhile to vary the patterns on different passages, and even with chord changes.  Try different things, and then go with what sounds good to you.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Yes, that's exactly what I need! Thanks, Dguyton.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I have a couple that I use that are fairly easy.

For songs in 3/4 time you can pick:  R-3-2-1-2-3

For songs in 4/4 time, you can pick:  R-3-2-3-1-2-3-2.

(where R = string 4, 5 or 6, depending on where the root note of the chord is being fretted.)

You'll learn to do some variations on runups and rundowns after you get the hang of it.  Like KAP said, variation is important, otherwise all of your songs will sound alike.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Thanks, Astro!

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Huh.  I never paid much attention.  I know I play the same patterns over and over, but I haven't paid much attention to how I got to them.  Usually, I mess around with a new song until I get a sound that I like (which is almost never anything similar to the original artist) and then every time afterwards when I play the song, I use that pattern for it.  But how I get to it is a mystery to me.  I guess I ought to pay more attention to myself.  However, this is a good example of what I mean about the difference between playing guitar (which requires one to actually know what one is up to) and playing songs on the guitar (which frequently surprises the picker as much as the audience). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yeah, I play songs. That's my problem. I'm very goal oriented, so once I get a song down I feel like I've won. When, really, I've just sidetracked from learning to play the guitar. Frustrating.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue