Topic: Ideas for unwanted Electric Guitar Strings? (Was "Hello...I must be go

Awwww shucks.  You guys are so mushy.  Now I'm feeling really guilty for leaving.

Anyway, maybe you can give me some advice on this one:

My job with our local township went from working on a summer concert series to being a sort of audio/visual/entertainment coordinator in several community centers during the fall and winter season.  During this time, I did a lot of "extra" favors for senior citizens groups that come in twice a week.  This included restoring all the "whole-house" music systems and putting together special playlists of 1940's tunes, showtunes, Christmas songs, etc for them.  It also involved playing my uke with a senior chorus sponsored by the town.

Well, at Christmas time, the senior ladies wanted to do something special for me, so they put together a little bag of goodies.  Most of it was chocolate, green tea, and other things they know I like, but one particular item was a little off the mark.  Apparently, one of the women has a grandson who's a musician, so she asked him what she could buy me for my "guitar."  Bottom line:  I ended up with five sets of D'Addario EXL110 Electric Guitar Strings.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that these would not fit my ukulele, so I gushed appropriately and took them home.

So now I'm stuck with these brand new electric guitar strings that I can't use.  However, I can really use some strings for all my ukes (and the new mandolin that just fell into my lap).  I don't have any kind of receipt (they seem to sell for between $5-6 a set) and, after a few years of buying most of my uke stuff online, have let all my relationships with local music store guys lapse.

Ideally, I'd like to trade these for some Aquila Nylgut uke strings, but if that isn't possible, I'd like to give them away, perhaps, to some type of guitar school for disadvantaged kids.

Any ideas?

(PS:  I will be away, with no web access, until December 26.  I will check back here then.  Happy Holidays, all!)

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Re: Ideas for unwanted Electric Guitar Strings? (Was "Hello...I must be go

Take them to your local music store and explain the predicment too them,they will usually work something out. Wait untill after xmas and take them to guitar showcase and tell them they were a gift and you belive they were bought there. try e bay is another idea. hope that helps. have a good christmas papa tom.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sorry to see you moving on PopaTom...but I'm guessing you'll be dropping by every now and then. smile
Best of Luck at your new board, it looks pretty cool with lots going on.
As a thought for your strings,possibly you can hook into "Picks Around The World" I know your strings would eventually get to someone that needs them. smile

All the Best

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Take them down to your local school and see if they can use them. There are always some kids that have less than others and the last thing on their parents minds is to buy them new guitar strings when it's all they can do to pay the bills! Failing that if the school provides guitars for students they'll be more than grateful of some free strings.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

All good ideas.  Now, as soon as I dig my way out of this New York blizzard, I will start looking into some of these things.

Happy New Year!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...