Topic: Kind of surprised myself

So I decided to copy all my favorite songs that I play the most often into one songbook.  It ends up there are 45 of them in that book.  I had no idea that I had "familiarity" with that many songs.  Now if I can narrow that down and concentrate to improve on a few of them, I may have something worth while. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Kind of surprised myself

Zurf, that's over three albums worth of songs or maybe a double album and a few single albums. Impressive.
David

p.s. If you release a double you'll have to include the obligatory poster for your fans.

Know what you mean, Zurf. I, too, keep a song book of all the songs I'm learning, plan on learning or can play. My wife and I have a couple of places we go to on weekends that have open mic's so we kinda have to stay on top of them. We have recently went thru our books and just never realized the number of songs we could do. Almost 70 songs that we could do without any problems and another 20 to 30 that were works in progress. Since my wife does all the singing, once we find a song we want to learn, I find the song / chords on Chordie, or elsewhere, learn it per the key of the recording, if needed rewrite some of the words so the song can be sung by a woman, then my wife and I will start to transpose the song into a comfortable key that matches her voice. We try to add 1 or 2 new songs per month to our books. Anyway, not trying to steal your thread, but, I do agree with you about keeping a song book and reviewing it when you have time. Sure is a good way to check on your progress. Also, there is no shame in using a copy of a song while proforming since we are not on a professional level.

Nela

Nela

+1 on the songbook. But, in my case, it's more of wish list for now. I cannot conceive of knowing 45-70 songs. I am humbled.

A good game plan, Zurf.  I have three notebooks full of songs that I can play fairly good, but mostly still have to look when I play.  They are separated by Country, Rock and Other.  They are also on my computer in a program called Songbook.  I just go through all these songs constantly and notice myself getting better at the strumming and singing each time I come back to a song.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hi zurf its funny that i know loads of 60/70s type songs and can remember them ,some i transcribe to how i play,then there's the 338 i've wrote which i have to look at to remember them,but if you can remember just one its worth the effort,just enjoy.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Good job Zurf.  Now if you can use "day glo" ink to print the words so you don't need a flashlight when campfire pickin .....................

I know where you're coming from daddycool.  Hearing songs on the radio seems to ingrain them in my brain, but for some reason just writing and playing them doesn't "stick".  I've got about 50 of my songs recorded on CDs.  If I pop one of them into the CD player in my car and listen to 'em when I'm on my way to an open mic etc, I can usually remember the words to the songs when I get there.  I've also figured out that songs I've written while "under the influence" can't be remembered when sober.  Its the excuse I use for consuming so many adult beverages around a campfire ..........................

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'm working on increasing the number of songs I can remember there DE.  My problem is that when it's my turn, I can't remember what I can remember.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sorry Zurf, I forgot that you forget .......................

Hmmmm that might be a good hook for a song.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I have my songs listed in seperate folders (GOSPEL,Country, R&R) on my computer and also on a removable Flash drive. I take the flash drive and a lap top with me when we go camping and a guitar. Can be jammin in a jiffy and the wind doesn't blow the music away.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Zurf i'm with you on not remembering what i can when it's time. I have a book of over 100 asst songs some even written by myself that i can play but only remember maybe 10 without looking.  DS I like the idea of a laptop and flashdrive for campfire jams. I'll have to try that.