Topic: Floods in Queensland

I have recieved several e-mails from Chordie members asking after my well being as a result of the floods here in Queensland.
To all folk that enquired, I thank you for your concern. My family and home have been spared and suffered very little compared to many others. Some 3/4 (500.000 square kilometers) of the state has been declared a disaster zone and the damage caused and number of lives lost is almost unbelievable. The grief shown by people that have lost everything, including family members, is heart wrenching.
I ask all Chordians, when they have a moment, to spare a thought for these folks that have suffered so greatly.
All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Re: Floods in Queensland

Will do Bushy.  I couldn't believe the news videos they were so intense.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

God be with you. Haveing lived in a floos zone most of my life, I know how hard it can be.

I wish you and everyone else there the best of luck, bushy.  I've seen the videos on the news.  It's devastating.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'm glad you and your family have been spared the worst of it, my prayers are with you and the others who have lost everything, just remember there is always hope and things will get better. God bless you.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thank you very much folks for your kind words and blessings.
All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Hey Bushy,

I find it's difficult to describe the situation, and even how it's affecting people who weren't directly affected by the flood.  Which area are you in?

Kelly

Hi Kelly
          It is hard to describe because it is hard to believe.
I have a small property between Marybourough and Gympie but I work on the gas fields out west of Dalby.
How did you fare in Brisbane?

Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Hey Alan, Glad to hear the news you have been spared such a tragedy! The news

clips here are heartbreaking to say the least. Living here in a high rainfall area

I know well how even minor flooding can ruin peoples lives. Lucky that water

drains well here into the Columbia river but many times rock slides and such

comes down. The lower end of the river and tributaries get the worst of the

flooding here.

So glad you and the Mrs. are safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you

and all those that have been affected by this.         Mike

P.S.    The Aussie/Kiwi poem:  try plugging the words into " Ghost Riders..."
it fits nicely. Which verse to use for the chorus has stumped me tho.

Our intuitions serve us well

G'day Mike, good to hear from you again. Thanks for your kind words. We here in Queensland are all in recovery mode now, cleaning up, rebuilding and dealing with health issues that are attributable to the floods, but we are a hardy bunch down here derived from mostly good convict stock. (wink)
Good to know you are still working on that crazy poem, I still can't get it.
Anyhow, cheers for now.
All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Thats been some bad news for awile , glad to see you and the family got out ok.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

With the Fires last year, the floods, and now the cyclone hitting our Australia friends, I can't imagine the devastation that some are having to live with, my prayers are with you guys still.  Please let us all know how you guys there that are on Chordie and your family's are doing.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hello Cam,Thanks again for your kind words
          I have been spared once again. The cyclone hit Queensland some 1200 klms north of my home and apart from some heavy rain at times, no problems to speak of. The harshness of nature gives cause for reflection in these times and makes me wonder why we contribute so much to our own problems. We are still building and living in cyclone/flood/bushfire prone areas.
Over your way, we hear of and see footage of tornadoes, blizzards and bushfires but all those that survive seem to rebuild and move on with whatever is left of their lives. The human is a tough animal. (or stupid?)
Anyway, enough reflection for one day, it is giving me a headache.
Cheers for now
All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Disasters or not, most people find the coolest places to live at land's end near the water and at the edge of tectonic plates.
When mother nature is not ripping your house down, the living is sweet.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I agree Toots, living is sweet. Sure beats the alternative.
Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Hey Bushy, once again glad to see you skirted disaster one more time! Hopefully

things will stay quiet for you for a long time. This conjures up the thought of

those who live in annual flood plains or tornado alleys and why they continue to

to rebuild and stay? I'm sure each has their reasons but each time disaster strikes

people get hurt or worse. Then it hits me: I live here in the Pacific northwest

surrounded by volcanoes, a major fault line to the south in California and the 2nd

largest fault line half an hour drive east of my house.LOL       Mike

I continue to say prayers for you and your countrymen and women, Bushy.   My heart broke to see the devastation continually hitting you guys.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Glad to hear everything work out OK for you Bushy. Our secretary at work had some relatives up from Brisbane and were having a hard time watching it on the tube cause they were showing where the guy worked, which was under water and other areas in town that were submerged. They were visiting for about a month and had taken out flood insurance before they left. Luckily they didn't need it as their home was spared.
Here's a few Youtube links to some of the flash floods for those that haven't seen them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQrSH6LMgA

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

19 (edited by llddau 2011-02-20 04:16:40)

Hey Bushy,
As you may know, we have also had some flooding over here in the West where I have some friends living and working, so we are thinking of you all in Queensland like never before. Sending our love, hugs and strength over to you all (and hopefully any money that we are sending can actually help, even just a little).
Good luck to you, your family and fellow Queenslanders.

Cheers, Lara.

ps: you are my first fellow Aussie I've met here wink

Thanks Lara for your thoughts and best wishes. As you may have read in prior posts, my family and home was spared but any kind donations will be gratefully accepted by those that have lost everything and in some cases, family.
Makes me proud to be an Aussie knowing that all our countrymen and women can suffer so much and still get back on top of the situation with a bit of a leg up.
I am pleased to be your first Aussie on this site. It is a great place to hang out with great folks from all around the globe. Come back often.
All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Hello all, back home after a long stint in the bush (6 weeks) and would like to share a remarkable experience with you.
Over the weekend I went to a small town called Condamine in S.E. Queensland. Condamine has a population of around 600 and I doubt that any native born Aussies have not heard of it as it is steeped in Australian history. This small town was inundated by the floods earlier this year and was almost wiped out. The reason for my going there was to take part in a promoted working party to help the locals clean up and assist in any way we could. Can you believe that over 2000 helpers turned up with trailers loaded up with donations like fridges, washers, lounge suites, T.V.s, beds, kids swings, etc, you name it, it showed up. Saturday, everybody pitched in and cleaned, shoveled, picked up ruined stuff and took to the dump. Very emotional for the owners but handled very kindly by the volunteers. Saturday night, out came the guitars and the beers. What a party. At midnight fireworks were set off and "auld lang sine" was sung to celebrate the new year because the local people did not get to celebrate on Jan.1. During the Sat night, all guitar cases were open and $22.000 was donated to the local community by the volunteers as well as the goods we had brought with us. Due to myself representing the Company I work for and having arranged for tip trucks, Bobcats and excavators to be on hand, I was given the "keys to the city" by the unofficial mayor amidst much laughter and joking and an instruction to return for free beer when the pub again opens, an order I will comply with easily.
The locals were extremely humbled by the turn up of people, most of whom were total strangers to them and more than once over the weekend I heard "it makes ya proud to be an Aussie" voiced. Sure does.
All the best
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

When the going gets tough the tough get going! What a great way to start off a day, by reading a great story like that. Thanks for reminding us that there are still good folks in this old world and the tangible things are not the most important.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hey Alan, Great story! And a humanitarian/music also. Keys to the city? Wow, you
   must be some kind of a celebrity there now. smile So glad to hear all is getting better
   over your way, thanks to people like you and the company you work for. Free
   beer? Now I know you Aussies ARE a great bunch of folk! wink     Mike

Thanks for sharing thast with us Bushhy.  And thankyou for helping when you don't have to.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Way to go Bushy! It is a great feeling when communities come together and help each other in times of crisis.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!