Topic: Artist chords and lyrics ONLY, no tabs, please!!

Hey all, I don't read music, even lowly guitar tab. I do however have a natural enough ability to learn lead solo's and vocals once I have the chords and lyrics. It really gets to me, not being able to get these basic's easily online, or here at Chordie!
I realize that tab is for dedicated players who can read so they could play the song without even hearing it. Yeah right, play hendrix without listener orientation and it's gonna sound like crap. At least with chords and lyrics you have a fighting chance, assuming you're familiar with the material. Where's the goods???

Re: Artist chords and lyrics ONLY, no tabs, please!!

Tab is for people who cant read music.  If you cant read music and suck at reading tab, then whats left?  Not sure what your really asking for.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

reading the actual title of your thread made sense. I couldnt play other peoples songs if it wasnt for tab. We both should learn how to read music.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Chordie's song book feature is a search engine.  The songs you see on Chordie are hosted (and posted) on other sites.  Sometimes you'll see chord versions and tab versions of the same song.  Sometimes you'll see multiple chord versions.  Sometimes you'll see where someone has posted what he/she thinks is an accurate rendition of the original artist and sometimes you'll see a simplified arrangement for campfire picking.  There are folks who  are interested in each of these.

Me, personally, I'm not at all interested in doing 'accurate' covers of songs and even if I get an accurate chord chart, I'm going to arrange.  My way of thinking is that if someone wants to hear the way it was done by the original artist, they can listen to their iPod.  Also, I don't have a band, so it's going to be very difficult for me to play exactly the way people expect to hear it.  So I like those simplified chord arrangments that hit the highlights.  It's nice to see the tab for certain key phrases and riffs, though. 

As far as tab, it's for folks who don't read music.  It's not suitable for someone who doesn't already know the song to try and play because there is no indication of beat and rhythm with tab.  Only full blown reading of standard music notation gives pitch, duration, and rhythm to allow someone to play a song "fresh." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Excellent explanation Zurf... if I were on FB I would click "like"  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.