Topic: Epiphone EJ 200

Hello all, im new here ive just had a New Epiphone EJ200 for my birthday and it sounds a bit twangy or tinny if you know what i mean. Just wanted to know is this normal for a ej200 ?  Ive also got a Yamaha APX 500 im no expert but the sound of the APX seems miles better to me.

Re: Epiphone EJ 200

Hi,
  The ej200 rarely plays or sounds great when new.  The vast majority of them need to visit a friendly neighborhood luthier for a really good set up, and a bone saddle.  Elixir light-medium strings are also good.  If you do this, you wont believe that it's the same guitar.  I LOVE mine.

Most Yamahas will blow away most any new guitar sound because that brand plus age has more frequencies audible for us to enjoy. A brand new guitar will be trebely until the finish dries out and (hopefully) gets old enough to crack up some and release more midrange and low frequencies as the wood gets drier.
You can experiment with various string types but a much played guitar always sounds better than a new one.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and your advice.

If it's got new strings on it, they will loose some of their bightness after a while.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

I put a Tusq saddle on my Yamaha.  It definitely made a difference in the mid-range and lower-end clarity.  If the EJ-200 comes with a plastic saddle and nut, that may be an upgrade you consider at some time.  Most guitars need to be played some (read: a lot) before they begin to sound warmer. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tusq saddles are availble on eBay for about $10. I've bought and installed a few mainly because I wanted a "compensated" saddle. I've also bought blank bone saddles and configured them to my needs. In my novice opinion I suspect these saddles might effect the high frequencies more than the low but I'm not sure I can hear any difference with my untrained ears.

Changing the strings may have  more of an impact on the sound.

Try tuning it down a half step. sometimes that will help bring a mellower tone.

Try Martin's Silk and Steel strings. I've used them twice. On one it was not a good choice but on the other lovely. Welcome to multivariable mathematics.

Yes on Silk and Steel, but I prefer D'Addarrio brand to Martin.  They're very warm and LOUD. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I didn't know D'Addarrio made S&S strings. All I can find around here are the Martin's. Otherwise D'Addarrio is all I use.