Topic: EVIL B!

I was watching Willie Nelson play in a video this morning and noticed how he plays a B chord.  He holds the index barre very differently than I've seen done before and I think I might be able to do it.  Going to give it a try.  I'll let you know in a thousand transitions from E and A whether it works. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by zguitar 2011-03-09 01:00:27)

Re: EVIL B!

Are you sure you're over the flu? It might have affected your brain. With your avid hate for the B I can't believe you're gonna try it. Good luck my friend!!!!

Can you post a link to the vid for us. Any tips and tricks to make the evil B easier are welcome.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zurf, at least explain how he's doing it, I struggle with that chord to.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Alright, Zurf, lets have it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Waiting.. waiting ........

Great if you can get a good b going zurf,you are really limiting yourself alot with out it. I had trouble with it and the f but I wanted too play to many songs with them so I really kept stretching fingers,and other body parts too do them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

C'mon Zurf, you have some attention now, what is this secret B chord shape that you are considering?
All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

The way he does it is not to try and make the index barre reach across the entire fretboard, but only the lower strings.  Then he uses several fingers to finger the b, g, d strings.  He does this by cocking his wrist well forward of the fretboard and using the part of his hand between the wrist and the lowest knuckles on his fingers as a cam. 

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9evL5oWXRU

He does the B in the second song - Still is Still Moving to Me, and it's not really a B but a B shaped chord.  Look at his fretting hand at 2:37 into the video.  It's in the guitar intro of the second song.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Accually I play a barred B6 on the second fret A6 shape and deadened the high E string

10 (edited by ozymandias 2011-03-10 00:59:45)

*is wondering if this will mellow Zurf about the EVIL B chord??*  wink

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ozymandias wrote:

*is wondering if this will mellow Zurf about the EVIL B chord??*  wink

Only if it works.  Otherwise, my resolve will be tempered and my will implacable.

try barring the 4th fret notes with your index finger and playing the root on the low e string w/your pinky. i play barres like that all the time, much easier than the "a" shape...

Baldguitardude - Do you mean using an E shaped barre on the seventh fret?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'd get my pinky across my index and higher up the fretboard towards the nut to get that shape.

no, I'm talking about this

x
x

where the 4th fret is being played by your index finger bridge and the 7th fret low e string by your pinky. I made a video showing it a couple months ago, can dig it up if you want. it's really not that hard.

you just have to rotate your hand and get your knuckles  parallel to the fretboard and make a little stretch. Similar to playing a walking SRV type bass line with your pinky while holding an open "e" (think "Pride and Joy").

here ya go. http://baldguitardude.com/video-guitar-tip-of-the-week

Being that I have no idea how to go about playing Pride and Joy, I'll have to watch the video.  A million thanks.

LOL.

The fingering BGD is refering to is what I have heard called a "Long B". For a B7 chord the pinkie would be placed at the 5th fret. For a  "long A" chord move everything down the fretboard 2 frets - index finger on the 2 fret, pilkie on the high e - 5th fret. Fot an A7 chord move the pinkie back to the 3rd fret.

I play with some older musicians and these chords fingerings are the only way they make A and B chords. Took me awhile to figure out what they were doing.

Nela

Here's an idea every time you come to a B you whip the old capo out and put it on the 2nd fret and play an A It'll slow the tune down, which is a drawback!!! LOL

Nela I'd not heard of that...thanks!

Butch8844 wrote:

Here's an idea every time you come to a B you whip the old capo out and put it on the 2nd fret and play an A It'll slow the tune down, which is a drawback!!! LOL

Generally I just play a B7 or hang on the preceding chord.  For real.

- Zurf

Nice inversion lesson.
Hendrix technique...
Do it all the time.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

It's not really an inversion, just a different position. All the notes are in the same order no matter which way you play it. smile