Topic: Larrivee OM3

I was thinking about treating myself to a Martin 00016GT when I came across Larrivee who are getting a lot of very good press on this side of the pond but there aren't many dealers so trying one ain't gonna be easy, (over here it's all Martin, Taylor or Guild).

So my question is has anybody had any experience of Larrivee and specifically the OM3? I've seen the clips on You Tube and it sounds as if it has massive tone but it's difficult to tell without hearing one in the flesh so to speak. How are they straight out of the box? Do they need a lot of setting up? What's the finish like?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Re: Larrivee OM3

I've played some Larrivees. I played various models in the $700 to $1800 price range.  I didn't care for the neck's feel and the factory set-up seemed a bit high to me.  That's easily adjusted, though.  The sound was on par with comparably priced Martins and Taylors.   The quality of build seemed good.  When I bought my Guild, there was a Larrivee dreadnaught in the mix, but to me the sound of the Guild was much better than the Taylors, Martins, or the Larrivee for my playing style with the songs I play. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Buzzwagon,
This same guitar has been on and off my list for about a year now. Impeccable instrument but it remains out of my budget @ $1200 (new) and $800+ (used).

What I like:
Sound
Satin finish
All solid wood to include the one-piece neck
Real wood (maple) binding

Every time I consider a Martin I look over at the Larrivee and it's lack of "tortise" shell embellishments and I think wow. And for advocates of "Made in USA" instruments this one is euphemistically close: Made in North America.
dj

Check this out: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2273163800.html
Larrivee OM-3RE for $550. Will not last.

Im new at this four years ago started with Ovation and gone through Seagull, Martin Taylor Breedlove and finally a Guild 30R. Forget where it is made. Pick it up and play. No contest.

Try a Guild 30R.

Aropanda  (75) no kidding)

Im new at this four years ago started with Ovation and gone through Seagull, Martin Taylor Breedlove and finally a Guild 30R. Forget where it is made. Pick it up and play. No contest.

Try a Guild 30R.

Aropanda  (75) no kidding)

7 (edited by naolslager 2011-04-02 11:00:45)

+1 on the Guild 30R, and while your at it take  look at the
Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500R (http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Pro … ctionID=15),
very similar to the Guild (http://www.guildguitars.com/index.php/s … w/GAD-301/).

In fact, I suspect they're built in the same plant but I can't prove it. I recently bought the Epiphone Dread version (over the Guild) because the Epi has a Satin back, sides, and neck which I prefer. (Hence part of my interest in the Larrivee: Satin finish.) I think both the Guild and the Epi have maple binding like the Larrivee as well.

All are nice, and if it will ease your pain in choosing, buy one of each smile

Or take a look at the Seagull "Folk" model here: http://www.seagullguitars.com/productma … folkhg.htm

Or the Art & Lutherie "Folk" model here: http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/folk.htm

Both are made in Canada. The Seagull is glossy; the A+L satin. The A+L is available with a Spruce top, cedar top, or a wild cherry (all-laminate) configuration. I own two of the wild cherry versions a dread and a 0-sized (called an Ami). The latter is my travel guitar. An sonically NEITHER sound like a laminate guitar.

Or stand firm on the Larrivee. To answer your question about finish, it is a lovely SATIN finish with maple binding. For these and other reasons this guitar will remain in my wish list for some time. But you will not be disappointed with any of these choices.
Let us know what you decide, with photos of course!

I hope this helped?
dj

Okay, as posted elsewhere, I found myself playing around with a couple of Guilds, (a GAD F20 Parlor and a GAD F30), a couple of weeks ago and I was completely blown away by the tone of both. In the end I went for the little Parlor, how the hell do Guild get that amount of tone out of a Parlor guitar? I love it, it plays beautifully and apppears really nicely built. It's hard to believe the tone will get better with age but I know it will! A definite winner!

Didn't like the Stratbond neck on the mid price Martins and I just don't like the tone of Taylor's.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Yea, I nearly pulled the trigger on a Martin with a Stratabond neck. I actually like the look of the laminate construction and the feel was fine. What got me was the price of the guitar and the "normal" features I was giving up for a relatively high price. I ended up with an Epi Masterbilt: all solid construction, bone this and that, cool Grover-esque tuning machines, and rosewood wood where it should be. Made in Chine? Yes. Am I satisfied? Yes. Would I recommend? Yes. and my wallet is at least $200 heavier.

I do still like the OM-3s but I have been looking at the Guild GAD small bodies: 20s and 30s and it would be very easy for me to make the same decision you did. Sure I'd like a "real" F/M20 but I would be happy with a GAD F/M20.

And I cannot warm to the Taylor tone.
dj