1 (edited by naolslager 2011-04-21 11:21:47)

Topic: Up to my Fretboard!

I’m home from work today enjoying the best pollen Georgia has to offer. (This has been the worst allergy season I can remember.) While I wait for Benadryl to come to my rescue I’m drinking coffee and scanning the Internet for anything related to acoustic guitars. (I know I should be playing but my family is sleeping or stirring for school and, like I said, don’t feel too fresh right now.)

While scanning my usual guitar forums – to include Chordie – I discovered a thread regarding Eastman guitars. Now I know there are thousands of Eastman threads but this is the first one I’ve read. My curiosity piqued, I visited the Eastman website which appears to be under construction. This is a bit of a disappointment, but most, if not all, the wording is in place and I am impressed. Being a fan of the written word and realism, my ability to detect (and chuckle) over “marketing"  language is keen. Phrases like “hand-crafted"  ubiquitous in guitar related materials and McDonald’s Big Mac T.V. commericals is always suspect if not downright laughable.

But perusing the Eastman website left me with the impression they produce honest, high-quality instruments. They take the time to explain “the ‘pre war’ mystique"  rather than just claiming their instruments reflect that “golden era of guitar building" .  I’ll admit I’ve fallen prey to this marketing ploy when I purchased a Morgan Monroe Blues 32 guitar about a year ago. A decent guitar and maybe even an imitation of pre-war construction but at the end of the day the substantial gloss and sunburst finish was too thick and gave the guitar a “tight"  sound, which I do not care for.

Eastman also addresses the fact we have a tendency to “pigeonhole guitar body styles by playing techniques and sterile measurements"  rather than focus on the player or what is played. I’m up to my fretboard in reading about this guitar is for fingerstyle and this one for strumming, etc. Yes, I suppose different body shapes – and maybe tonewoods – LEND themselves to a particular style of play or genre of music. But for most of us – or at least me – it really doesn’t matter. What matters is finding a shape, tone-wood combination, sound, color etc. that the player likes. I own a small-bodied mahogany guitar, which if you do your reading, implies I am a blues player. I enjoy blues music and would like to be able to play blues style music but all the sunglasses, mumbling lyrics, and “blues"  guitars in the world will not make it so.

I will admit part of the reason I bought this guitar was I was looking for the woody (sad?) mahogany tone and I love the look and feel of a satin finish but I am not naïve to believe this is going to make me a better guitar player or one capable of playing the blues, or any other type of music for that matter. No, what comes out of the guitar is directly related and somewhat proportional to what goes into playing the instrument.

For what it’s worth I own three guitars, three different shapes and tonewoods and I can’t play anything on any of them.

2 (edited by dino48 2011-04-22 01:26:51)

Re: Up to my Fretboard!

Hi nao you have me a little confused here,You own three guitars and can not play anything? Blues are pretty simple to play!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi nano, I bang and scrap and sometimes I'm happy w/ what comes out. Other times I just put it up. I'll listen to a tune over and over and I still can't get it; other times it's like so easy. Best advice just keep pushing along

naolslager wrote:

I will admit part of the reason I bought this guitar was I was looking for the woody (sad?) mahogany tone and I love the look and feel of a satin finish but I am not naïve to believe this is going to make me a better guitar player or one capable of playing the blues, or any other type of music for that matter. No, what comes out of the guitar is directly related and somewhat proportional to what goes into playing the instrument.

For what it’s worth I own three guitars, three different shapes and tonewoods and I can’t play anything on any of them.

While I agree that different guitars won't make you a better player, certain guitars will make it EASIER to play, which should in turn make your playing more accurate, and by default make you a better player, or at least sound a better player! A well constructed, quality and well sest up instrument will almost certainly be easier to play than a poorly constructed instrument, so while it may not make you Robert Johnson or Stevie Ray Vaughan, it'll make it easier for you to reach that goal.

Eric Clapton, of all people, very nearly gave up guitar almost before he started when his first guitar had an action so high that it was almost unplayable. Worth thinking about I think!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Buzzwagon,
Spoken with logic and wisdom. I agree with you on set-up. Most "affordable" instruments are "set-up" with tolerances measured in centimeters not millimeters and are poor specimens for anything except serving as a dust magnet on a wall somewhere. Or, they could serve as kindling for a fire on a camping trip. That is assuming they are made of wood and not some "space-age" polymer.

Recently I played two new Martins and while they were both playable, one was clearly set-up better and the playing easier.
David

dino48,
Clarification: I suppose I am being humble. I string together a few things that somewhat familiar to some people. But I am not very good. My biggest boosts of confidence have come while I piddle around in a guitar store somewhere and some says, "Hey, were you just playing 'Lucky Man'?" That's has happened 2-3 times and I am forced to give myself some credit for being a "guitar player". But on the average day I consider myself a beginner if not a hack and take little or know credit for actually being able to play.

I've been at this two years and I can readily play a dozen or so chords with progressions. At this point rhythm and CONFIDENCE are my biggest hurdles. The latter is really the root cause and if I ingest a dollop of confidence I will improve rapidly.
David

nao,thanks for clarifaying that,I used to get like that down on myself then I got atape recorder and put some songs i did on them,after some time I went back and compared then and now,made a real difference!!Might give it a try yourself!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

nao,thanks for clarifaying that,I used to get like that down on myself then I got atape recorder and put some songs i did on them,after some time I went back and compared then and now,made a real difference!!Might give it a try yourself!

I've been doing that too.  I use the same song over time so that I can hear progression more easily.  My voice is coming along well compared to where it was two years ago.  I'm still not satisfied with the results usually, but compared to two years ago, I can really hear a tremendous difference.  It's very encouraging to be able to do this for yourself, especially if you don't get the chance to play with others often. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude