Topic: words or music

Please dont kill me everyone.But I go more for great lyrics than a scorching solo.As a matter of fact I learned to play so I can put the music to some of the stuff I wrote myself.Does anybody else feel the same or am I a square peg in a round hole here?An example is cold shot by SRV.The guitar work is great but the lyrics are pure artistry to me.When it came out I was having trouble with my girlfriend and I learned to play it with no paperwork or sheet music.When she broke up with me I finally had it down.It didnt get us back together but I still play it all the time.My theory is if it is a song someone likes and can feel it deep inside they will figure it out on their own.That is where the lyrics stand out more than the music,If the words really hit home I will appreciate them more than the music.Sorry everyone but that is how I think.Am I the only one?Am I opening myself up for a bunch of insulting replies?Is it really a shame about Ray?  Did everyone have a happy easter?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: words or music

I prefer instrumental music, and lyrics aren't terribly important in that I guess lol Nirvana are one of my favourite bands and like many others, their lyrics are largely nonsensical. Maybe I'm just not deep enough.

However my favourite song (not my favourite piece of music altogether), is You've got a Friend in Me by Randy Newman, and the lyrics in that are very significant. One of my favourite singer-songwriters is Roy Zimmerman, who does mostly political satire. Obviously the lyrics are the important thing in his music. He just has the best metaphors and most creative rhymes ever.

Interesting topic and you don't need to apologise for these watery ideas smile

Hi joeyjoeyjoey
Don't apologise spend enough time on chordie and you will realise most questions/statements have asked before...
Anyway
My two penny worth.
Melody…Always the melody for me.
I can’t see how any song can be loved just for it’s words alone..
If you love the words only then you might as well read a poem.
All great lyricists songwriters have decent tunes to go with words.
ark

Joey, I think I get what you're saying.  YES the lyrics are very important to me (and ARk's right, this topic has been discussed before, although slightly different).  A good melody is very important too... great guitar work sure, but usually a song isn't good (to me) unless the words have some type of meaning.  The songs I like the most, I can relate to the lyrics and can sing the tune (I don't care much for heavy metal, no matter how great the lyrics are because it's not "singable" to me).

Had a lovely Easter, thank you for asking!  Hope your's was nice too!!
Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Each can be moving and memorable, but my personal preference is for good lyrics.  I like folk and country music mostly because I can understand the lyrics and they tend to be different from the one-track minded lyrics extolling the prowess or experience of the singer.  I heard a lyric the other day about a guy who had a dream that he had gone to hell and had a conversation with the devil.  Upon waking, he decided that he ought to take a good look at how he lives his life.  Then he came out with the lyric "some get spiritual when they see the light and others when they feel the heat."  Now that's just good stuff right there.  Good story-telling put to music is what I like, I guess. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The melody draws me to the song.  I either like it or I don't.  Only then, do I actually listen to the words and identify with it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Howdy Folks, I'm new to the Chordie Chat Corner but have been a big fan of the site for a long time.Everyone is very helpful and supportive,I sure like that.
To me it's the lyrics. That's what grabs me first. Everyone can take a song and make it their own.  That's the beauty of music. Each person can make the same song different yet very appealing. From very simple to drive you crazy complex. That's what keeps music magical. Now don't get me wrong music is important,it's just as dynamic as the expression of the lyrics. Think of it as the icing on the cake. Love it , nurture it, let grow. It's a lifetime of enjoyment no matter what you do with it. Joey, great inquiry. Keep the thought process going.

Joe

I agree with Zurf and Pete. I like the story songs. The music gets me interested then I feel the lyrics.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I pick up on the melody first(tempo etc) . Then I listen to the lyrics,I did not know louie,louie was a sea song for about 6 months.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tyson7 wrote:

Howdy Folks, I'm new to the Chordie Chat Corner but have been a big fan of the site for a long time.Everyone is very helpful and supportive,I sure like that.
To me it's the lyrics. That's what grabs me first. Everyone can take a song and make it their own.  That's the beauty of music. Each person can make the same song different yet very appealing. From very simple to drive you crazy complex. That's what keeps music magical. Now don't get me wrong music is important,it's just as dynamic as the expression of the lyrics. Think of it as the icing on the cake. Love it , nurture it, let grow. It's a lifetime of enjoyment no matter what you do with it. Joey, great inquiry. Keep the thought process going.

Joe

Welcome to the Chordie forum Joe! 

I love your thought process, "each person can make the same song different yet very appealing" ... I can't agree more! 
Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks Amy,
  There's deffinetly no right or wrong process to songwriting. I've written songs that started with a single line and I've writtten songs from a short note progression or a four chord pattern. You go with what inspires you at the time. What ever sparks the process. I have about four songs now that have been in the pot for about a year. I've written songs in as little as twenty minutes. One thing for sure is they will develop on their own. Save them, don't throw them away just because you hit a wall with your writing. Somewhere along the way they will come back to life.
One thing that works for me is to take a notepad and pick a subject. Write down anything that pretains to the subject or a line that catches your fancy about the subject. Don't worry about lines or phrases or catchy hooks. If you have some ,write them down but don't worry they will show up when you need them. Collect your info study it and add to the list. Let this brew inside your head . When you least expect it to be there the song verses will start to present themselves. When they do be prepared to write them down or record them. As someone earlier said keep a notebook handy because once you start this process verses will start to jump out at you and you don't want to miss them. Keep writing whenever you can. Write as many songs as you can no matter how simple they may seem. Everytime you complete a song you wil be honing your skills until you become a little better songwriter each time. We all have to start somewhere. Hope this helps.

Joe

Wow Joe.  That's terrific insight to songwriting.  I've been reading up on it, and that's as good as I've seen anywhere, and so much more succinct.  Again, thanks! 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

13 (edited by dino48 2011-04-27 02:14:15)

off the subject/ Zurf what is Succinct?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Succinct is brief and to the point.  An adjective that usually does not apply to me.  But I've read multi-page articles on song-writing that didn't have near as much useful information as Joe's post above.

hey joe, where you going with that gun in your hand? change that to, guitar in your hand....

me personally, i love a good story line, well written, well sung.

i also enjoy a good ripping solo, or if it fits, a sensitive musical interlude. (dont need to be a guitar solo)

then again, a good catchy tune, a hell of a good hook (chorus) leading to a crashing finale!

to sum up; a cracking song with a catchy tune played by competant musicians. and of-course, i must be able to hear the words, which dont repeat themselves over and over. and to end my diatribe of the modern pop song...more than just one note!!!!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf,thanks I now have a new word in my speech arsanel.