Topic: What is the source of the Martin D18 mystique?

The Martin D18 receives an embarrassing amount of praise. It can do no wrong. And its un-scalloped braces are a selling point? Why is that when many, if not most, of the rest of the guitar population is touting scalloped bracing? What is it about this guitar? I'd love to jump on the D18 bandwagon but I just don't get it. Maybe it's just a Martin thing. And that I can understand. I'm not bashing, just curious.

I'm not a member of the UMGF so I post here.

Re: What is the source of the Martin D18 mystique?

I work a major bluegrass festival every year and handle hundreds of guitars over the course of the weekend.  No one except Martin owners bother to tell us what brand it is.  It's pervasive to the point that "The guy with the Martin in the black case" has become a running joke with my team.

Martins are the Harley Davidson's of guitars.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I love Martins.  I can't answer your question and I am a member of UMGF.  I don't know much about the D18.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Jerome +1 on the HD comparison. I suppose the un-scalloped bracing makes them LOUD and therefore suitable (or required) for Bluegrass?

What bensonp said are my feelings also. Go too a music store and play one!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've never understood the "mystique" as naolslager puts it, of any Martins at all. I've kinda found them to be over-bassy and a little dull. Still, many guitarists I have a lot of respect for say they're amazing, each to his own. Maybe the older ones are better, haven't played too many of though.

I have no negative connotation for the guitar.   They're nice instruments.  I'm just amazed at their owners.  smile

I'm a Taylor guy myself.

I own a Martin, I love it, but I've had my eye on a Taylor for sometime, even went to actually buy one, but walked away without it. I can't explain why I did that, guess that particular one didn't suit me, but again I love my Martin., and hope to one day bring home that Taylor.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

In retrospect I suppose my question should have been about the mystique of the entire Martin line and not just the D18. I've wanted a Martin since I started this quest to learn to play about 2 years ago. I just haven't found the right one I suppose although I did buy one (kept it for about 30 days) and I did order a second (but rejected it upon inspection). The good news I get to keep looking. One thing that always turns me away is the tortoise shell binding. This may be the traditional material and it may even be naturally-occuring but for the price of the instrument it appears out of place to me. To avoid this material I am painfully attracted to the 15 series. This is a notion that will not subside.

10 (edited by naolslager 2011-05-07 13:00:18)

Oh, and I'm frugal. I own three acoustics (and only acoustics) and I have a grand total of $527 invested. Every time I veer above about $300 for a guitar I suffer from extreme buyer's remorse. Even though I could probably afford a $1k guitar (D-15, D-16, or Larrivee OM-03) I can't seem to pull the trigger on one. I guess I'm not comfortable with that much money tied up in a single instrument and then there's the thought that my playing doesn't warrant it either.

So pricing is part of the source of mystique for me.

Hi Cam, the simple truth about the awesome D18 is what it always is.....money. You must keep in mind wood costs money, maching costs....
bla bla bla.  I have seen 20-30 year old martins, and they all sound great. I,m not a martin owner, so (long and short) you get what you pay for.   Hope this helps.

I just copied a quote from a UMGF member about the D18.  While he really likes it, he did end up preferring another Martin.
The quote: 

Some you know I picked up a very clean '64 D-18 recently. I had the neck reset and it is a killer example of a straight braced, aged D-18 from the old factory, with all hide glue, large T bar, small (tiny) maple plate. 

I was very excited to enter the D-18 world for a while to see what the fuss it about.  It definitely cuts in a loud jam and is a different sound from all the D-28s around the house.

That said, it is a specialty guitar for my tastes, and has it's place, but after playing it for a couple months now, it is not what I'd want for the desert island guitar.  I love the lush and cutting sound of a good D-28.  The D-18 is simply too sharp for just sitting around by myself playing.  That doesn't mean that the old scalloped braced or new Authentic scalloped braced D-18's couldn't fill that niche, but that is because they (to me) cross over into rosewood land sound-wise.

I don't plan on getting rid of the D-18, because it is such a great example of that guitar, and has its place.  But it couldn't be "The One" the way a D-28 can for me.   

Guitars are like cars, I guess.  Everyone has their favorite.  I just happen to like the bassy sound that Martins provide.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I love the sound of Martins.  A friend is a collector and would bring a couple of his high-end axes to jams at my house.  After playing a few I was hooked, sold my Taylor and bought a used D-16 and then a used 000-16. However, the mahogany doesn't have the low end that I love to hear in the Martin rosewood acoustics. I know bluegrass players who like the sound of the mahogany D-18 because it has a little more treble and "cuts" through the other instruments during solos, however  I hope to get my hands on an OM-21 someday - no fancy trim, just a rosewood body and Martin quality.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

14 (edited by steelstrings 2011-05-08 01:29:55)

Yeah, when i get some money i think my new acoustic will be a Martin.
D-45 is also popular.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to know the difference between all the different models, or anything much about bracing.  However, there is one Martin in particular that I am in love with each and every time I go into the music shop.  I don't want to say it's the sound, or the feel, or the look, or even the name... but that guitar just sings to me, or rather feels like it's singing into me (and even makes my mistakes sound good).  Due to the price tag (just shy of 1k) I have made it a point to NOT know what he specific model is because I don't want to fall too deeply in love with it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Mekidsmom,
Good strategy.
dj

mekidsmom wrote:

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to know the difference between all the different models, or anything much about bracing.  However, there is one Martin in particular that I am in love with each and every time I go into the music shop.  I don't want to say it's the sound, or the feel, or the look, or even the name... but that guitar just sings to me, or rather feels like it's singing into me (and even makes my mistakes sound good).  Due to the price tag (just shy of 1k) I have made it a point to NOT know what he specific model is because I don't want to fall too deeply in love with it.

Start saving.       

I have a guitar fund tin can that I put loonies and toonies into.  Dipped into it last week got an old yamaha 335

for 60 bucks, the collection grows. That guitar can be yours, 

badeye    cool

one caper after another

That's what I do.  I save money a little at a time in my new guitar fund.  It usually takes a year or more to save up enough to purchase the next one, but well worth it.  Mekidsmom, save up.  You won't be sorry with a Martin.

Yes, I have a "guitar fund". Just dipped into it for a surprise Mother's Day gift - not a guitar.

Hi mekidsmom,go ahead and save a little each month or alot if you can,you will have enough one day for a martin or maybe another top end guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I break into my guitar fund, too.  That's life.

I make it a point not to have a "guitar fund". That would cause me to have, dare I say it, too many guitars. By too many I mean how many do u really need? I have 5 now, two I need to sell cuz they don't get played. The other 3 are diff and I think that's as big as my collection will be. Maybe add an electric someday. And I just couldn't bring myself to spend $1k on a guitar even if I had that much to spend.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, zguitar.  You should only have a guitar fund if you are planning to buy one.

My last two guitar fund savings came in real handy,I had too get a new tv $750.00, I had too get my car repaired,$700.00. So I am starting all over again.

The best thing you can do with your life is abandon TV.  I've never owned one that a woman didn't make me buy, and I've lived happily without one for over five years.

Take it back and get some more guitars.