Topic: Stuck in a RUT

Hey all,

I've been playing for about 3 years and I taught myself from scratch...the last thing I learned was the Minor Pentatonic scale and some brief improvisation on it.  I learned that more than a year ago, and while I have refined my skills in that area, I have not developed anything new.  I find myself with less and less time to practice and I wanted to shoot the question out to the community.  Where do I go next?  How do I get out of this rut?  It's fun to improvise over blues backing tracks but I want to expand my range of knowledge of the instrument.  Any help would me immensely appreciated.  Thanks!

Chris

Re: Stuck in a RUT

Challange yourself. Are you playing with yourself, too much? Quit it. Get out and play with others. See what and how they are doing certain things. Ask questions, ask for help, you would be surprised just how much you can learn just by playing with other players. FInd someone or a group that has the time to have a regularly sdheduled jam sessions. Find out what type of music everyone likes. Also, welocme to Chordie.

Nela

Thanks for the tips NELA...it's true that I don't get out much, my practicing has been reduced to playing behind backing tracks constantly.  Would you suggest a place to look for groups to jam with?  I don't really know where to start.  And thanks for the warm welcome smile

Bandmix or craigslist.I have had good luck with the musicians section on craigslist.If you just want to jam with others,specify that in your post.If you are planning to make it big.Say so.There are all kinds of different people on there.Just be cautious of who you deal with.I havent had any problem but still be careful who you deal with.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

And you also start by asking everyone you know or meet if they play guitar.  Friends, neighbors, church groups, bars, anywhere there are people gathered.  And expand the type of music you play.  If you only play rock, try some country, or oldies.  And good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

GMEADGBE, Where are you located? For all you know your next door neighbor maybe a Chordie member. You start to find people to play with by asking. Go to any music store's near you. Go to your local church. Go to a karaokie bar, go to any place where music is played. Post a notice at the grocery store. "Local beginner guitar player seeking others to jam with - music styles are................."

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of groups that I can get together and play music with. Some are excellant musicians and some are just learning. If I wanted too I could have a place to play every Friday and Saturday night. Once you make contact with someone it will lead to others.

Nela

All good ideas above,also see if there are open mic nights in your area and see if some of the artist's want too get together.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

All awesome suggestions.  Thanks so much everyone.

I've been there before.
Actually most of my playing time...lol.
Things still get that way sometimes, but I started to feel better when I played with others.
I take my guitar everywhere I go because I still don't know exactly what I'm doing.
I would jam twice a week with the employees at the local guitar stores, they are easy access because thats their job and they can't run away.
I'd also get together with Zurf from here to jam at least once a year (lol).
And I don't get out much either, my usual routine is "work -> church -> home" so if I can't get some playing in during one of those three..it doesn't happen. Luckily lunch breaks and long work days afford the opportunity to get some jamming in.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle