Topic: I need HELP!!!!!!!!!

Any tips on how not to touch the string behing the string im fretting??? Im trying to play D chord and my finger on the 2nd string keeps touching the first string making it sound like crap. I am JUST starting to play and im teaching myself off the internet so any other tips would be awesome too.

THANKS!!!

~I pray not for an easier life but to be a stronger woman~

Re: I need HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hi, starrlee.  As in all chord fingerings, it takes some practice to get a smooth sound for your new chord.  Make sure your fingers are straight down on the strings, not slanted.  Other than that, just keep at it.  You will get it.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

check the length of you fingernails on your fretting hand they must be cut close so as to not interfere with the position of the chord form use the tips of your fingers on a D chord and lean your fingers in the direction of your body it also helps to position your fingers right behind the frets this should improve the sound of the chord smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Welcome to the forums, you will find great information here to help you. Roll your hand forward bending your wrist so that your fingers are coming down straight on the strings, this will help you get clean chords. If you spend some time checking old posts you will lear a lot. Learn Em and Am using your middle ring and pinky fingers, this will help when you get to barre chords. Most importantly practice, practice and more practice.
Th

I chopped my fingernails off and will keep practicing till I sound good lol. Thanks guys!! smile

Dont force your wrist to a bend. That's a sure start to tendonitis. make sure you are fretting notes with the tips of your fingers, not the pads.

7 (edited by Mancric 2011-05-29 09:08:07)

...and if you are learning from the internet, why not try one of the best on-line sites.....?

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-106-P … cement.php

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-111-D-chord.php

Good luck with it

Ray

Hi starrlee
Welcome to Chordie.
I guess if your just starting out the tips of your fingers are getting sore so inadvertently you might be fingering the strings flatter and not with the tips. Also newbies don't have a lot of gripping finger strength so they tend to bend their wrists in to compensate.
Well it's mainly a practise issue using the best form you can and just keep at it. Justines Sandercoes site is great for lessons.
The only other thing is the guitar. It's much easier for a newbie to learn to play a nylon strung guitar than a steel strung one at the start.
Good luck
ark

aAs Arkady said - "nylon string guitatrs are easier than steel strings" on the fingers. Also, an electric guitar with steel strings is easier that an acoustic guitar with steel strings  due to lighter guage strings.

Nela

Welcome to the wonderful world of guitars... and CHORDIE! 

When I first started, I had a hard time cutting my nails.  I do so now quite happily!  Take your time.  Fret that D then pick each string to make sure your fingers are right where they belong.  If not, adjust until each string rings clear.  The hardest part about beginning is that you will be ready to move on before your fingers will allow you to (pain  in building up callouses!).  If you do start with nylon, you won't build up such tough callouses and you'll be able to move ahead quicker with your learning, but to strum  you'll eventually want to go to steel.  You could string your steel guitar with nylon (although some may argue that point) and then put steel on when you're ready.  I simply started with a BAD steel string... moved to a nice classical nylon... then got a decent steel string.  If you're playing an el-cheapo from somewhere like Wal-mart, do yourself a favor and spend a bit more money for a real guitar.  It'll make that D much easier!  GOOD LUCK girl!!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks!! I'm so glad I found this website, you all really know what you are talking about!!! I am playing an Ibanez (with steel strings). My mom bought it for me years ago when I expressed an intrest and when I realized how difficult it was I gave up. I'm much more ambitious... and uh... stubborn lol, and WILL NOT give up till I can proudly play my guitar and sing along!! Thanks again everyone, your comments are appreciated SOOOO much!!

Stubborn is good.  That's what it takes to get better. And desire, of course. Just keep practicing with the steel strings.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi starlee,lots of good sdvice above,tou can also put some strength in your fingers by gettinga rubber ball that fits in your hand and sqiuze it a few minetes daily,welcome too chordie!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I agree with Amy, pick each string individually and then adjust to make sure you're getting a clean sound. Another bit of advice which is very important, practice perfectly. Don't move on to new things until you've accomplished what you're working on. It will only hurt you in the long run. It is hard to unlearn something and break bad habits. Practice is only worth while if it is good practice. So don't take on too much, go slow, and master it before moving on.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Stubborn is not only good but required for success.

+1 on Justinguitar.com - VERY helpful.

Something no one has yet mentioned, is you shouldn't try to "muscle" your way into the chord.  It's not so much how hard you're pressing down on the string so much as WHERE you're pressing it.  When you're sounding those individual strings, if one is muted just wiggle the muting finger around a bit instead of squeezing harder.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

D was my buggaboo when I started too.  Now it's B.  There's always something more to learn.  Don't let it get you down.  Just keep practicing and you will be surprised at how quickly it begins to fall into place. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I can't tell you guys how much this encouragement means to me!!!! I think it is you guys that are giving my the determination to NOT give up this time around!!! Someday, I'll be playing like a natural mutant big_smile

As you learn and become better you need to begin to thing about how to set up for  the next chord. If you form a G chord with your middle, ring and pinky fingers you fingers will almost fall into a C chord without effort. Learn where your anchor points are and use them. With a lotta chords your middle finger (or ring finger) doesn't have to move in order to form the next chord in the progression. Think of the key of G. Form the G chord with the middle finger 2nd fret 5th string, ring finger 3rd fret 6th string and pinky finger 3rd fret 1st string. Without lifting up the middle finger you can "roll" right into the C chord. You can discover many chords where the same principle can be applied. Look at the chord fingerings for the various progressions and you will start to see what I saying. Also, and this is important - as you are changing from chord to chord NEVER EVER stop strumming. I would rather have a strum of all open strings than lose timing of the song. As you learn start off slow and build up speed as your ability and timing allows.

Nela

Welcome to Chordie, starrlee! As you may have noticed, the folks here are very friendly & helpful! I would just like to add that unless you are totally happy tuning by ear, get yourself an electronic tuner & use it every day or two. Everything sounds so much better with a guitar that's properly tuned...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic