Topic: Fun times at a campfire

So we're just back from a family camping trip.  We went to a campground where we'd never been.  It had fairly poor reviews on line, but because of a change to our itinerary we had to take what reservations we could get.  It was a GREAT campground.  Super clean, well maintained, nice amenities.  I'm so glad we went there.  It had rained each evening, and actually fairly often while we were there, but it cleared up our last afternoon.  Now the kids wanted some S'mores (the kids, right?) so I got a campfire going while I cooked dinner.  After dinner, we sat about the campfire and made up stories for each other.  Then I pulled out my guitar and played a bit.  There had been a gal who was dropping by to play with my girls and she fell on by the campfire.  Then she said, "My Daddy plays guitar and my brother plays mandolin and they're really good at it too."  I like the "too".  Anyway, I said, "Well go tell them to come on by!"  She did, and they did.  Her brother, Tate, was blind and was guided to a seat.  Then I strapped my guitar onto him (Tate played both mandolin and guitar as well as keyboards, fiddle and a few other instruments we didn't have).  Tate tore up that guitar!  He was playing Doc Watson.  He was playing Merle.  He was playing Bill Monroe.  Then his Daddy said, "Why don't you give Mr. Derek (me) his guitar back and you two pick some songs together?"  So they helped Tate off with my guitar and gave him his mandolin.  I taught him a couple chord progressions for songs I know and Tate had such a good ear that he was doing mandolin solos on songs he'd never heard before.  Then his Daddy played a few and we had a wonderful evening right up until quiet hours. 

The next day I saw Tate and his sister and brother going to the pool.  I was walking into the camp store behind them and overheard the conversation.  Brother: "Tate, it's a shame you can't see this grass.  It's greened up beautifully with all the rain."  Tate: "My grass is blue."  Brother: "You'd have to see it to appreciate it."  Tate: "Yeah, but you can't hear bluegrass like I can." 

I really, really hope that we bump into that family at another campground down the road.  They were good, kind, hard-working people and both the Daddy and Tate could really pick a tune! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Fun times at a campfire

Zurf..  Great story..  Tate saying his grass is blue is priceless.  What is the name of the campground?

A wonderful story Zurf.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Lovely story! Sounds like Tate definitely has Talent...
Must go and practise - a lot. Merle who?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Merle Travis.  In bluegrass circles, Merle is enough.  Just as one does not need to add Nelson to Willie or Presley to Elvis.  He originated that whole thing of playing the bass notes with a pick and using fingers play rhythm and lead.  Anyone who can play three parts at once on a guitar, and any one of the parts can befuddle other players gets to be known by one name.   

The park was Chippokes Plantation State Park near Surry, Virginia.  Lovely place. 

Edit to add a link to Cannonball Rag by Merle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vOTKMqzw4

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Would it be correct to say that in some ways Tate has better vision than the rest of us? Thanks for sharing.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Very good true tale zurf,thanks for taking the time too share it with us.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sounds like you had a blast. Your story makes me wanna have a campfire cookout this weekend.

Awesome story Zurf!!!  Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Great story Zurf.  Sounds like your youngun's had a good time.

Got back Tuesday evening from taking my three grandkids on a camping/rafting/canoing/kayaking trip in WV.  Stayed two nights at Riverchase but the kids didn't think the rapids were big enough so we floated Glade Creek to Grandview Sandbar the third day.  We had to overcome a little rain, but they still got to fish, paddle, explore, make smores, and catch bugs, turtles, crawfish and a myriad of other creepy things.  By the look of the smiles on their faces, I'm pretty sure I'm currently holding a pretty big lead in the "Grandpa of the Year" catagory.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Way to go Dirty Ed.  Its good seeing the smiles on their faces.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Can I be your grandkid, Dirty Ed? 

- Zurf

Great story Zurf, some of the nicest people "complete strangers" I've ever met was while camping. There just seem to be something about them.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Zurf wrote:

Can I be your grandkid, Dirty Ed? 

- Zurf

Hmmmmm ................ I think more of you as a slightly "disturbed" nephew Zurf.

I talked to Diane again last night.  She'll be calling you in the next day or so about the August Jam.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

At least I know who Merle is now. Sorry, I was thinking Haggard...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I guess thats why they call it Travis picking instead of Haggard picking. smile