Topic: thoughts on losing friends and missed opportunities

On Friday June 24 I lost my friend of 48 years. I met Greg on the first day of elementary school in 1963 and we were friends for nearly 50 years. Greg died Friday of ALS (Lou Gherigs Disease) and the flood of emotions has been a real rollercoaster ride. Dispair, knowing that I'm never going to see him again,Grief for his wife and kids whom I love as my own,and relief knowing that his sufferings are over. I had many opportunities in the last 6 to 8 months to go see Greg and spend some time with him but I always found myself saying I'm too busy. People,especially you younger members, remember life is but a fleeting instant and try to fill your time with the people you care about and make time for those old friends that have made a difference in your life. Over the course of the past two years I have laid to rest 8 different people that made a difference in my life. Of them all, this will be by far the hardest

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: thoughts on losing friends and missed opportunities

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  My condolences to you and his family and other friends as well.  Life surely is too short.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for reminding me to catch up with some old friends. I think about them but never call or visit anymore and I don't want to regret it.

hey bswyers,my condolences too you and others who cared for him. I hope some this will encourage some people too get in touch with others.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I aam so sorry about your loss.Especially such a long time friend,

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Sometimes God takes the best and leaves the rest.

May He bless you and his family and other friends.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

That's hard to take.  I'm sorry for your loss.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My deepest sympathy to Gregs wife and you. Makes one realize that we need to take the time to say - I love you - to those we truly care for.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

My regrets also.  It's a tough time indeed.  You can make up for your lack of visiting him recently by visiting and helping his wife and kids.  They would like that, and he would like it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I appreciate all of your responses. Greg's funeral will be today and I know the knowledge that this is the final goodbye will be tough. However I also know that he would sooner have his friends get together and have a few drinks and swap some stories of days past than sit and wallow in sorrow. He was a great guy,always willing to help someone and asking little or nothing in return. So life goes on and I'll try to be there for his kids and wife if and when they need me. Again thanks for your kind responses

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I'm sorry to hear of your friends passing, I to know that feeling. Over the course of last yr between my family and my wifes family we lost 8 different members, of our families in that calendar year of 2010, 8 different people! I've lost one other friend this year.  As we age I suppose we understand why or how this happens more so than younger people, but it makes it no less painful. It's great the two of you grew up together and had that time with each other. Cherish it, remember the good times you had, the things you laughed about, the mischievous things you did together as kids. The talks you had and when you needed each others shoulder to lean on. Over time the pain lessens but never quite goes away. My condolences to you and his family my Friend.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down