Topic: Redefining "Healthy"

Man, growing old is a pain in the ass, isn't it?  I recently did a whole lot of weight loss - went from 260+ down to 195ish thanks to a medical weight loss plan. Once I got down there, though, I looked like hell. No muscle mass, real boney, no bueno. I gained back up to about 220 and then got frustrated, hit the yo-yo diet bs, worked myself down a few, up a few, down a few, and rather than stabilizing at 210 (as was plan) I made my way back to 230.

Tangent: I love beer and food. I hate running. Back on track....

I was looking at a variety of weight loss systems and was thinkin' about going back to the Dr. for more appetite suppressants, when several things occurred to me:

1. I'm a big dude. Not a lazy fatass or anything, just a bigger dude.
2. I used to love lifting heavy, heavy weights and haven't done it in 13 years.
3. Cardio can suck it.
4. I love beer and food.

Long story short, I decided that if I cant be a teenie ripped guy, I can be a decently-shaped ridiculously strong guy. I started improving my diet and lifting heavy again - real heavy! In 6 weeks I've put over 2" on my bicep but my chest has come down 2". My waist is oh-so-slightly smaller and I've put on 12 pounds but my body fat % is falling. All signs point to "yes."

So I've redefined what I want my own version of healthy to be. If I can muster up enough endurance to run from a big dog or a mugger, enough strength to lift a car off a baby, and look at myself in the mirror and say "not bad, BGD," maybe I don't need to be tiny with a 30" waist.

What I'd like to do is put muscle on for a while, take fat off. Put muscle on, take fat off. Put muscle on, take fat off. I'll let you know how it works...and please keep me accountable Chordie! I just set my personal record for flat bench press @ 325 lbs., but I also did 275 and 300 that day. I think I can push it up to 400 lbs. in the next 45 days. (I started at about 190 6 weeks ago, so that isn't so bad.) I'm currently leg sledding 1130 lbs. I'd love to max that machine out at 1300 lbs. and start hitting squats in a big way. (Don't be that impressed - the machine gives a ton of mechanical advantage to the pressor.)

Will keep you posted!

-Joe

Re: Redefining "Healthy"

Good on ya BGD, Keep that fat off!:)

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!  I'd rather see a guy with a little weight on him, than a scrawny lil thing with nothing.  Men are lucky that way.  tongue

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!  I'd rather see a guy with a little weight on him, than a scrawny lil thing with nothing.  Men are lucky that way.  tongue

Hey!  Don't speak for all guys.  I prefer curvy. 

BGD, I loved the way you expressed yourself in that post.  Very entertaining and well written.  Also, I think the sense behind it is right on target.  I love resistance exercises too, but I don't do heavy.  I much prefer lots of reps at low weight.  When I was using weights, I set a goal of 10,000lbs moved per session.  Any combination of weight x reps that got me to 10,000 was what I used.  I generally used light weights, lots of reps, and ssssssslllllllloooooooowwww movement.  I also frequently got to 13,000 or 14,000 pounds per session.  That got me a great workout, didn't exacerbate the arthritis in my shoulders too badly, and gives me the strength I need for the sorts of activities I prefer.  I can lift boats off of roofs, carry them to the river, paddle or row all day, then still pick the boat up and put it back on the car roof at the end of the day.  That's what I'm after.  But if I'm around, that baby is in trouble.  I won't be lifting any cars (unless it's a Metro or a Yugo). 

My legs are naturally very powerful, for which I'm grateful.  I don't work them at all and I have all the strength I need.  Even biking or hiking, it's my lungs or shoulders that give out before my legs. 

Keep up the good work and please keep checking in with us and use us for accountability.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm beginning to look like I eat guitars rather than play them, primarily because I suffer from the same "Beer + food = True Love" malady you do.

What did you do to drop the weight  originally?   Was it just appetite suppressants, or was it a diet change?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by tandm3 2011-07-08 02:08:57)

First, Congrats BGD for your discovery of a plan that sounds like it will work for you.  Way to go with that. Keep up the good work.
I'm going to jump in here with my own sad story.  Yeah, I love bread,beer and red wine.  Lately, I've given up all three and lost 17 pounds in a month and a week.  I'm sort of sticking to the Atkins plan which avoids carbs including my beloved beer.  I've been able to do some substitutions and modifications to my alcohol intake system.  Vodka and Diet  Tonic are pretty good with a slice of lime.. So is rum and diet pepsi (and a slice of lime).  I've even gone so far as to create a low carb margarita by using fresh lime juice and splenda (no cointreau). Yeah, it sounds like I'm an alcoholic but when you give up your favorite New York style pizza and pretzels from the Hofbrau Haus, there's going to be some trade offs.

Now available in 5G !

I found out a few years ago I was never going to look like Adonis. I'm 6-4 and, right now, I weigh 230 (but most of that weight is from not being able to do much since the injury).

Anyhoo a few years ago I got on a pretty good exercise program and stuck with it for a few years until my back started acting up. At my best I weighed about 200 and had some muscle but I was by no means "ripped". But...I could kick my son's ass on the hill runs (he played water polo and swam about 8 miles a day) and I was able to stay with the firefighting hand crews as a line EMT. Most of those guys were half my age and I surprised the first one I was with as they thought they were going to hike me into the ground and laugh at the old man.

My feeling since then is much like yours: I might not look good but I will still be in shape.

I don't drink much alcohol but I do like junk food and soda and do not want to change.

6'4" and 230 sounds pretty awesome to me. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Well I'm 6'1" and float between 225 aqnd 230 pounds. Thats down from the 265 pounds I weighed in 2009. I quit drinking about 10 years ago when I finally figured out that my bar tab was equal to my Bass Boat payment on a per monthly basis. Thats way too much money spent to rent beer for such a little while. When I started loosing weight I wanted to get down to about 190 pounds. That was too hard to do. If I maintain anywhere between 220 and 230 I feel good and have excellant stamina. I have what is considered a large frame with wide shoulders so I can carry my weight without any problems. When it comes to eating - I can put it down. As for a diet (and I know its not a good one) I do without breakfast - just somewhere between 4 and 6 cups of coffee, have 1 sandwich for lunch and a decent supper. Still have to have that cookie n milk snack before bed, though. For a 60 year old fart I think I'm doing well.

Nela

I'm with you on the cookies and milk snack before bedtime.  That's my biggest downfall, although I still don't gain alot, no matter what I do.  OK, I'm just under 6 feet and typically weigh between 200 and 210.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Yeah NELA, I like the cookie and milk snack too.  They're a lot smaller and less frequent than they used to be. 

If you have to give up beer or a bass boat, I think you made the right choice.  I get a lot more fun out of fishing than I do out of drinking, and the glare headaches from being on the water pass a lot faster than the headaches too much beer can give you. 

- Zurf

Jerome I did Medi Weight Loss Clinics - don't feel like givin' em a link so you can google it. Works great but the lack of eating just isn't sustainable.

Wow this is a hot topic here at Chordie - had no idea!!!

hi joe i'm defineatly ott,i check my weight on the weighbridge when i fetch tarmac,i look at the gross then get out and see what the difference is,140kilo,i have cereal every morning,two sarnies,two yogurts,apple,banana and my flask of tea for work then i have my main meal at night,can't shift a pound yet i used to eat double that years ago,great result on yours though well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Wooooow!
that sounds awesome man! Congrats! I hope to have the same success doing something with my little weight I've captured since getting married. Still thin by society's standards, but I've let myself (and my 6-pack) go way too far off the path...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks man!

350 lb bench press barely evaded me today. Next week I got it, then just 50 wee pounds to my goal. smile

So I just started a "Corporate Fitness Challenge" today.  First session was at lunch. Holy cats am I out of shape.  The warmups dang near killed me!

I want to get below 200 again.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

DO IT JEROME!!!!