Topic: Frozen shoulder anyone?

Need a little help here, peoples. My diabetic wife has developed this damn frozen shoulder. Breaks my heart to see her in pain. She goes to this physiotherapist every few weeks and they are saying about giving her a cortisone injection in it. I have heard this itself can be extremely painful and the relief, if any, only lasts some weeks. Plus it can cause some complications with her diabetes. I don't want her to have it, but she is confused and does not know which way to turn. Has anyone else had experience with this condition?

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

Re: Frozen shoulder anyone?

Diabetic myself but never had the "frozen shoulder". I do know that cortisone can "spike" your blood sugar levels but keep in  mind that the doctors know this as well. I have had shoulder problems from a torn rotator cuff that required surgury. I had several cortisone shots in the jiont prior to the surgury but they were only temporary. Each shot would last for a shorter perior of time before the pain came back. The surgury fixed my problem but I have no knowledge of the symptoms your wife is having. Hope you and yours the best - keep us posted.

Nela

Bless ya. Thanks Nela.

Musical tastes range from Ludovico Einaudi to Killing Joke. A true definition of diversity, for sure!

attention for cortisone, a lot of sideffects.Being  MD, I should go to maximum 3 injections

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

attention for cortisone, a lot of sideffects.Being  MD, I should go to maximum 3 injections

I have heard this. That's what I was worried about.

from what I understand, cortisone is generally only a temporary help... effectiveness wears with each shot... eventually surgery happens.  I would check into the side effects for sure, and ask the doctors to explain and start looking into the long term solutions (surgery) now.  I don't know about "frozen shoulder" either, but I know "something" isn't right with my shoulder.  I've adjusted my activities so that I'm not in pain.  I imagine someday I'll end up with the cortisone shots and some surgery as well though.  Best wishes for your wife!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks, Mekidsmom, I appreciate your words.

Not certain if I know what a ‘frozen’ shoulder actually is.  But I think it’s a trapped nerve in the neck?  Like sciatica, but in your neck?  If this is the case the main cause is posture.  Things like holding a phone against your ear with your shoulder, carrying heavy handbags can cause it.  Also the pillow can be a serious problem.  What worked well for me was just sleeping on one pillow.  I rolled a small hand towel so I had a sausage shape and placed this in the pillowcase.  When I laid on my side with the towel against my shoulder under my neck it ensured that my head was in a good posture.  Hope this helps…..

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Much obliged, Patrick, all suggestions greatly appreciated!

No idea what to do, but as someone who suffers from chronic shoulder pain, your wife has my sympathy and best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf, grateful for your well wishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_shoulder

If this is close to her pain and symptoms, I would address the inflammation.   My brother-in-law had shoulder pain and couldn't raise his arm very high.
XanGo took the inflammation away and he hasn't had any trouble since.  He was thinking surgery before he tried this.

XanGo is something I highly recommend and I use it.  It covers a multitude of ails and inflammation is top on the list.  You can get it at your local health food store or a friend/relative who are distributors (I'm one, but it's because I want the product at my cost).   I'm not advocating to buy it from me, just research it and try it.   A full 60-90 day trial will tell you if you are going to get any relief.   I've had people say they felt better in a few days, some had to try it longer, but 90 days is a good trial time.    It's expensive usually $30-40 a bottle, but for me, it keeps me healthy.

I sound like a commercial, but I can't begin to tell you how much I love this food source supplement drink, but I won't go without it.   
Google mangosteen fruit.   XanGo is a propriety label that uses the entire fruit and everything is natural that is used.  It's the only label I will use, not the mangosteen fruit wanna be's who usually pull short in their ingredients.   Research everything you can do, before resorting to surgery.

I sure hope you and your wife can find some relief.  Pain simply wears you out.  Good luck.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Thanks for that Gabby. Must have taken ages to type that lot! My good lady has recently started her menopause, bless her, so on top of everything else she has the hot flushes, (or as the americans call it hot flashes), to contend with! I bought her a couple of tubs of Soya Isoflavones which like the Xango cost a small fortune but they appear to be helping her.
The ingredients pretty much match so I am wondering if maybe they will have the same effect on the shoulder condition eventually? She has only been taking them for a couple of weeks but already she definitely looks better in herself regarding skin and hair, so it is a possibility.

Fastlane I do know that cortezone is a short time fix,you might want too get another doctors opinion. Good luck and hope your wife gets better.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino, I am grateful for that.

I suffered a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder about 12 years ago. Doctor's advice was to put it in a sling and rest it for several weeks. I did that and the result was about a 60-70 percent loss of mobility in my right shoulder, and it hurt like hell.
I exercised the crap out of it, several hours a day of arm raises, with small weights, cried through the pain, but after a month or so of torture, my mobility returned and my shoulder is normal.
With rotator cuff injuries, I found out later, scar tissue forms when the shoulder is immobilized and will cause severe limits on mobility of the joint. Exercising the injury, while painful, reduces the scar tissue bulidup and mobility returns. I shoulda been a doctor!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Excellent advice, Whitewater. Thanks a bunch for that, I will get her to keep the exercises up.

yup... I was told to rest mine for a few days and then to do exercises (physical therapy).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The protocol the doctors follow is to rest for pain reduction, then physical therapy to teach you how to move the joint and to increase strength and reduce "instability".  If that doesn't work, then usually surgery is required.  That's what I've heard from everyone I know who has had shoulder pain, and it's what was done for me on my right shoulder.  My left shoulder is on the exercise path, so surgery probably isn't too far away.  It was so successful and relatively simple on my right shoulder that I will not delay to have it done to my left when the appropriate time comes.

When I had the surgery, I could not move my right elbow behind my back and I could not raise my arm to above 90 degrees (straight out) in any direction without extreme pain.  After the surgery and restrengthening, I had full mobility and was back to rowing and paddling and swimming within two months.  Not everyone's experience is that good, but two months is nothing after the amount and length of pain and limits on movement. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

In this scenario of frozen shoulder i have faced this is winter when i was traped in the hilly area due to little accident but physical therapy really helped me for competing recovery...

[url=http://www.marketplacewellnesscenter.com/about-us/]Highland physical therapy[/url]