Re: What line of work are you in?

I teach Statistics at a university.
I love teaching and enjoy working with bright young minds.

If somebody had told me 30 years ago that I would be all happily settled & married and teaching Stats and living in a small town in Mississippi I would have thought they were totally deranged!  My goal way back then was just to be a cross-country hippie nomad on a bicycle (actually, it's still not such a bad goal).

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi All ,
   I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none .
   After I sold my welding and fabricating company in
2004 , I closed my music store also and started up a handyman business .
   I do just about everything from mowing and snow removal to welding and stringed instrument repair .
   What I like most is NO EMPLOYEES TO WORRY ABOUT ANYMORE..............
   Oh , and I also play music any time I get the chance .
We just started playing gigs and having the time of our lives.......................

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I am an electrician by trade, now a project manager for a large electrical contractor. My specialty is large projects which are always a challenge and really what I like to build. Unfortunately that requires a lot of travel and I am currently posting this from my hotel room in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia. It is beautiful up here and I do spend most evenings on the back deck (overlooking a golf course) strumming my guitar. The drawbacks are a lack of decent eateries and being away from home.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Been a carpenter for a swimming pool company for 20 years, I build decks, fences, pump houses. Outdoors all day
and loving it. Meet a lot of great people.

..Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

Greetings guys ... I'm a Security Manager in the Air Force ... I do mostly personnel, industrial and physical security

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Vice President for a Construction Company. Live outta a suitcase and am constantly traveling. I was in Louisiana on Tuesday morning and in California Wednesday night (after driving over 1800 miles) to start up another project.

Nela

I'm the Environmental Services Officer (aka official tree-hugger) for my county in southwest Minnesota. I split my time between enforcing rules that are made to protect ground and surface water and promoting the 3 Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle) amongst the county residents. I'm currently working on making our county facilities more environmentally sustainable (energy efficiency, recycling, composting, the whole shebang) which I'm really excited about. I love my job, but our county is fairly conservative and not always receptive to environmental initiatives. I find myself singing "It's Not Easy Being Green" by Kermit the Frog from time to time...

Nice to see a couple Minnesotans posting at this site. It would be great to jam with you guys...if we lived a little closer.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

I work part-time helping my uncle work on roofs and laying brick (mostly summer work). I work at a deli called W.G. Grinders, not as good a paycheck as the roofing or brick jobs, but it pays the rent and feeds me and my hunger for music and gear. I love working hard for my money, and wouldn't have it any other way...

Sweet job crow ... I'm working on my Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science actually tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I'm the Director of Recruiting for a $10bln global transportation company.  Haven't been on Chordie much lately because I'm spending all my time trying to find the perfect SVP of Marketing---hey, if there are any SVP's of Marketing out there let me know!!  Great job in wonderfull Cincinnati, Ohio--and if you got the job, we could jam on Fountain Square at lunch!

36 (edited by Zurf 2008-05-30 21:27:16)

25Frankster, is there a new Blue Ridge as a finder's fee?

If so, I may know a country band drummer who works part time as a VP of Marketing.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Cool I have a sister in law that works in Cincinnati and she's into guitar.   And she lives in a nearby area of Kentucky!  I'll bounce the idea off her and see what she thinks!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hi Folks,I work for General Motors in Oshawa Ontario as a Team Leader and I am six months away from retirement........(I can,t believe it).I guess I,m gonna have a lot more time for playin and jammin and pickin and grinnin and.......well you get my drift I think, it,s been a long and fruitful road so far and theres still a ways to go yet .Best to you all....eppy3!

Hi all, great thread too, i've often wondered this myself but never thought to ask.

As for myself i'm a former Medic in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force, did myself 4 1/2 years and left to pursue a life with less conflict. Since then i've worked as a legal secretary, broadband technician and i'm currently working in a call centre Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and working in nursing homes most weekends through a friends agency. Just applied for jobs as the following(Bear in mind what i said about less conflict):-

Prison officer
Police officer
Police Community Support Officer
Fireman

and i'm also re-sitting my mathematics GCSE in order to rejoin the Royal Air Force as an Avionics Technician. Also in the next month or so i'm hoping to join the Royal Auxillary Air Force on 602(I think) Squadron based up at RAF Leuchars (near Dundee, Scotland) who are mainly an Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron. As much as I hated the conflict, I love helping people and what better place than Get shot at for oil-istan...or London...actually its SAFER in Get shot at for oil-istan...

Zurf, for the fee, I will play, free of charge, a backyard party and the set will consist of:
Folsom Prison Blues
Workin' at the Car Wash Blues
Mercury Blues
Proud Mary
and just because the fan's will be screaming for it--we'll close out with a encore performance of....
Folsom Prison Blues...man I love playing that song!

Professional musician since 1983. I've had to work a few odd jobs during the dry spells such as; carpentry work, washing cars, installing carpet, movie theatre usher, roofing, teaching guitar, ocean lifeguarding, music store sales, and washing dishes in a psychiatric hospital. I know what it means to have to work hard.  Lately though, since 2001, 100% of my income comes from performing. I never take performing for granted no matter how good or how bad a gig goes.

Give everything but up.

25Frankster wrote:

Zurf, for the fee, I will play, free of charge, a backyard party and the set will consist of:
Folsom Prison Blues
Workin' at the Car Wash Blues
Mercury Blues
Proud Mary
and just because the fan's will be screaming for it--we'll close out with a encore performance of....
Folsom Prison Blues...man I love playing that song!

Almost worth it.  Now if I can convince my cousin (the Country band drummer) to move from Nashville to Cincinnatti...

He really is a marketing exec.  I don't know what his title is.  Even though he is successful in business, his passion is country music, so my part-time marketing VP was only a mild exaggeration.

SouthPaw - been a pro for 25 years, huh?  Only five more and you can be an 'overnight' success. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

ozymandias wrote:

Registered Nurse by training, Full time Father and House husband atm.  Wife is a pharmacist and makes much more money than I can.  <grin>  So we made the decision that I would be a stay home parent until our daughter goes to college.

GREAT JOB!!! I think it's really great when a man is comfortable enough to stay home with the kids! I take my hat off to you.

I have 3 jobs, artist, homeschooling mom and since we moved recently, filling in for music teachers at one of our universities.

nadine2 wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

Registered Nurse by training, Full time Father and House husband atm.  Wife is a pharmacist and makes much more money than I can.  <grin>  So we made the decision that I would be a stay home parent until our daughter goes to college.

GREAT JOB!!! I think it's really great when a man is comfortable enough to stay home with the kids! I take my hat off to you.

I have 3 jobs, artist, homeschooling mom and since we moved recently, filling in for music teachers at one of our universities.

Thanks.  : )  It's been a great experience and sanity saver for me.  Plus it gives me the time and energy to learn guitar.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hopefully, as of July 7th, a sound technician for a performance group.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Hi  For the past 20+ years I have had my own medical transcription business and still working full time at that.  I opened an educational supply business one year ago with my sisters and working there as well.   For the past 10+ years or so I have volunteered playing guitar and singing in local schools, nursing homes, fundraisers etc. and have enjoyed every minute of it.  Play about once a week with a friend singing and learning new techniques to compliment each other on our guitars.  Was hoping to have an all female band by the time I turned 50 - hasn't happened yet.  Have three months to go.

Interesting! I am a Packaging Designer in Denver,CO.
Chordie is a great site!

hi i'm a highly trained, over skilled, under paid ,roadworker/supervisor,after 39yrs they've decided to restucture and regrade and i'm feeling unappreciated at the moment,we feel like statistic on a computor that they can fiddle around with with no thought for all the slog we've done all these years,thats what i've to look forward to in my old age....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I hear ya Daddy Cool, Sometimes your just like a number,
work work work get er done and no thanks at all. Like Rodney Dangerfield said "Get no respect". Hang in there, the world needs people like you.

Staying Cool... Badeye cool

one caper after another

Thats why we love the music, when all else fails, the tunes you love and the instrument you love to play, will never let you down!

Peace