Re: Electric Ignorance

Rabid wrote:
dino48 wrote:

I have a yamaha acoustic and a stratocaster made in mexico,they are both very good guitars. The japanese make some good guitars,yamaha,takamine etc.

If I wanted a motorcycle I'd buy a Harley. Ok, I doubt it's the same Yamaha company, but unless you're into music it's as ridiculous as buying a Honda or Toyota acoustic.

It’s like a novice chess-player trying to choose an opening repertoire that fits his play-style…he has no style.

It's the same company.  Yamaha is massive.  In addition to motorcycles and guitars, they also build industrial robots and golf clubs.

And if you're too young to ride slow motorcycles.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Rabid wrote:

I haven’t splurged yet...but I’m being honest with my preconceptions. I’m trying to get a few basic rhythms down and I’ve been strumming every guitar I can get my talons on. I feel a bit nervous in the humidified back rooms taking down the Martins that cost more than my car.

That's the best way to do it.  Play as many as you can, and you will eventually find one that "fits" you.  You may also want to play a lot of different instruments of the same make and model, particularly at the lower end of the price range.   You might get three different QA people with very different standards all looking at the same production run, and the result will be three very different guitars.  That is why I always tell people that they should never buy a guitar they haven't played.

Zurf wrote:

OK.  You might convince me to buy a Triumph. 

- Zurf

The Speed Triple is one of the greatest achievements on two wheels.

jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Indeed it is, but it's not £2500 better than the screaming Street Triple and STR which use a very slightly detuned version of the engine from the 675 Daytona, try one, I promise you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I wish I still had my 997 Daytona!!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Buzzwagon wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Indeed it is, but it's not £2500 better than the screaming Street Triple and STR which use a very slightly detuned version of the engine from the 675 Daytona, try one, I promise you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

Jerry

I haven't ridden the Street Triple, but I have ridden the 675, and, uhhh, yeah!  Loved that bike.  Still grinning.

I think they are the same company,but the name yamaha is as common as wilson is in the U.S.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i have a mid-70's Yamaha FG-350W guitar and a 1976 Yamaha RD400 motorcycle. I intend to use them both until they wheel me out to the graveyard to be worm food.
I love 'em both. The good quality surprised me.
Happy boy!
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

funny dino and jerome.I have 3 yamaha acoustics,a mex strat and an epiphone dot. Cheap is good.I also have a 1992 f-150.Altogether,wouldnt be worth the price of a good  american strat or les paul.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

i have a mid-70's Yamaha FG-350W guitar and a 1976 Yamaha RD400 motorcycle. I intend to use them both until they wheel me out to the graveyard to be worm food.
I love 'em both. The good quality surprised me.
Happy boy!
toots

Terrific Toots, I was weaned on bikes like the RD. Here, during my youth, you could ride anything upto a 250 without doing a test and loads of us had RD250's, Kwak KH250's and Suzuki GT250's, I love the smell of two strokes! And getting the thing dancing in the rev range to keep it in its power band. Great stuff!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I want a BMW or a Ducati. Both awesome looking bikes. Lol, we've got a bit off-topic. smile

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

funny dino and jerome.I have 3 yamaha acoustics,a mex strat and an epiphone dot. Cheap is good.I also have a 1992 f-150.Altogether,wouldnt be worth the price of a good  american strat or les paul.

I've owned Yamaha acoustics (well, borrowed one and didn't want to give it back) and I absolutely love my Dot.    I've also owned an F-150 (with the 351c and extended cab) but it was an '81.  Other than the 12MPG, I loved that truck.

Toots that yamaha was one of the fastest bikes around in its day. I would like too get an older Triumph 650 bonneville,not areal fast bike butI never rode anything that handled as good as my old Triumph,hope I can try one of the newer ones out someday. Ducati WOW great bikes.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

@Buzzwagon and Dino48. You guys are absolutely right. That old 400 can scare the pants off some 750's. People come alongside me at stop lights and try to buy that old RD out from under me.
toots

Jerome 12 mpg.You had the economical one.I have wet dreams of that.And mine is the 300 six

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

toots they were known as Pocket Rockets then,I had a Kawasaki 500 triple one of the fastest bikes for that time,my friend had the 400 and he kept up with me till I hit fourth gear.

dino48 wrote:

toots they were known as Pocket Rockets then,I had a Kawasaki 500 triple one of the fastest bikes for that time,my friend had the 400 and he kept up with me till I hit fourth gear.

That was the 2 stroke, wasn't it?  Those things were insane (and loud (and smoky)).

I've rode Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Indian, my all time favorite and fastest was Suzuki. Oh yea, one of the sweetest sounding acoustic 12 string guitars I ever had the pleasure of strumming was a Yamaha.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

jerome.oneil wrote:
dino48 wrote:

That was the 2 stroke, wasn't it?  Those things were insane (and loud (and smoky)).

Yes indeed - two stroke, noisy, smoky and lousy mileage but light, maneuverable and so fast for it's size. Has automatic oil mix and Klotz oil costs 24 bucks a quart. Gotta get the revs up for real power but when you do...

45 (edited by dino48 2011-08-19 01:38:24)

Rabid sorry we took over your  electric ignorance post we got too motercycles and it's been fun talking about them. Toots The kawasaki 500 was a two stroke also. I could not pop the clutch at all as I would do a wheelie all the time.

Guitars and motorcycles all make beautiful sounds, so it's totally on topic.  smile

Conversations meander.

dino48, I had a chance in the mid 70's to buy a Kawasaki 500 from a friend of mine. I had my bride talked into it, until she said "take me for a ride" We rode about a mile down the road, and then turned around. Coming back I had the throttle pegged in 3rd when she asked me something, as I leaned back to hear her, we hit the power band. Lifted the front wheel at 85! No she didn't let me buy it.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Guitars and motorcycles all make beautiful sounds, so it's totally on topic.  smile

Very astute, Jerome. Guitars have a positive correlation with sailboats as well as motorcycles. I always take a guitar along on my sailboat. Have yet to find a practical way to transport a guitar (or tuba) on a motorcycle.
Bill Moore, I also learned the hard way not to scare the ladies.
I had my wife and her cat aboard my sailboat in a big wind. I refused to lower sail and motor. She took her cat and her gear home forever. That was two years ago.
toots

Hi bill and welcome too the site,we got off subject talking about motercycles here.Yes the 500 Kawasaki was  once the fastest out there,I could do easy wheelies in every gear,I sold it because I thought I might destroy myself on it.I know most off the modern bikes are faster then it now.