Re: Electric Ignorance

Somewhere, I read this quote about electric guitars and the pleasure we get from them:  You play the guitar, but you hear the amplifier.  With an acoustic guitar, nothing else is needed for good sound; an electric needs an amp or you don't hear it.  Controls for the sound you want are located on the electric guitar AND on the guitar's amplifier.  Today's guitar amplifiers present a huge range of tones and characteristics for the player.

Live to play, play to live!

Rabid wrote:

Coming from a novice, there are some brands that just plain reek of cheap and uncool. Epiphone, Alvarez, anything in flying V, and pretty much everything Japanese or unfamiliar seems second rate. The Japanese acoustics do seem well crafted though.

I have to DISAGREE COMPLEATLY!  I have always had budget guitars.  Epie's are GREAT guitars,,, your statement makes me wonder If you knew how to set up your guitar,, and how to set your amps.  Dean flying Vs are the same. Axl Strats sound good but need a definate set up and fret file.  I could go on, but I will stop with the examples above.

THE MAIN THING TO REMEMBER ABOUT AFFORDABLE GUITARS (under 500)  Is quality of pick ups and electronics.  but for most ppl, they are great.  The cheaper woods, the fact that one company in japan makes 15 different names in guitar, really only matters if your a pro in a studio.  On that note, many pros use what were once bargin guitars (Silvertone, Harmoney, Airline, Danelecto, also made by silvertone). 

If your just starting, get a guitar you can afford, learn it, then its like a hot rod or bike, change out a pick up, tweak the pots.

You will have become attached to your AX and know what you like better.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

53 (edited by beamer 2011-11-08 03:36:47)

Zurf wrote:

OK.  You might convince me to buy a Triumph. 

- Zurf

TRIUMPH ROCKS   I have had mine for 6 years.  Its my 3rd bike and I cut my teeth on a used 85 Yamaha 700, then a Kawasaki 1000 Police bike.

If you own a Triumph,, you steal the HD  guys attention, and sometimes their girl!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

^beamer - I see you are a long time member, but an infrequent poster. Just want to say that is a great post and an even better sig line. I look forward to your future contributions to the forum. Welcome!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

@topdown 

Thanks. I have actually just discovered the forum this month.  I posted this in a different area but will repost my bio for ya.

HELLO CHORDIANS!  (btw I like that moniker LOLOL)
About me:
My Name is Scott and I am 43.  Beamer is a nick name I picked up about 15 yrs ago from my father in law during my very first motorcycle rally. (As you can see “Beam me up Scotty" just fit)  I also have an original style command badge on my vest LOLOL!  So there are 2 of my other interest.
I have been a music fan since the age of 8.  I had a neighbor who played guitar.  She was in her 20's and when my brothers and her would light a camp fire she always would play.  I thought her 12 string Ovation was the coolest thing I had ever seen.  Kiss was my very first RNR band and it went on from there.
It was not till I was 16 and moved to NC from WV that I finally found a person willing to help me learn.
Chuck was infinitely patient.  He was self taught and very good!  I got a book learned about 24 open chords and the different bar shapes.  Let’s just say I have been a frustrated player ever since.  I have never really learned theory, or lead.  I can play some of the basic chord keg rock.  I love my heavy metal (classic, 80’s!  and newer stuff) to this day.  I also love the classic songwriters (Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot).
Everything I have learned about music has been stubborn determination chiseled into my granite head!  I have almost gotten rid of all my stuff many times over the last 25 years because I cannot make my AX sing the way I want it to.  I let it sit for a bit, then pick up my guitar turn my amp up and hit  E5 on the 7th fret.  Start some palm muting and then I forget about how I can’t play Stairway or Eruption.  I remember that it’s about having fun and writing what’s inside.
Influences:  To be completely honest to myself, I have to claim Jim Morrison, Harry Chapin, and E.A. Poe as three of the strongest for my one personality side.  The heavy and punk side sorta followed naturally but I have to say I really dig THE RAMONES for the 3 min hit all and no lead guitar! I will say that the 80s style is my favorite of “hair† music.  Some of my buddies refer to ourselves as “CHUNKERS† ripping the palm muted chug-a-chunk just makes me feel great.
Current equipment (most all budget minded):
Epiphone SG G400 cherry bridge p/u replaced with a Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screaming’ Demon
Fender 12 string acoustic (Dean Markley sound hole pick up)
Kamen 6 string deep bowl. (was once a parent Co of Ovation)  this guitar has been around the block! Love it!
Bugera 5 watt tube amp
Beheringer 1 x12 modeling amp ( 65W)
DigiTech RP250 w/ dedicated laptop
My boys stuff that we all share (they are 9 and 10)
()
(10yr old )
Dean flying V W/ GFS hot rails type PU in bridge.
AXL strat
Dano FAB dist. Box
Dunlop Cry baby
RP70
Johnson T15R amp
(9yr old)
Fender Jazz bass knock off
Rouge bass
BP80
Fender 15 practice amp.

The other sig line I may use is "If reality doesnt sound good,,, STOMP IT TILL IT DOES"  I have a pic of the quote with a bunch of stomp boxes around it.

Something to remember.

Guitars and Bikes usually share a true commonality....

Most people start out with a guitar or bike that is MUCH MORE CAPABLE THAN THE PERSON WHO BUYS IT.

beamer wrote:

Something to remember.

Guitars and Bikes usually share a true commonality....

Most people start out with a guitar or bike that is MUCH MORE CAPABLE THAN THE PERSON WHO BUYS IT.

True dat. I also find that guitars and sailboats as well as campfires share a similar commonality.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

ok I'll weigh in. First, it doesn't matter much about the price.If the guitar is comfortable and easy to play and the tone sounds good to you then that's the one. No two guitars sound the same. Due to wood, manufacturing, electronics they all have their own personality. I  agree about the Epi Dot. great little guitar. Heavy little guitar. Had to sell it 'cause shoulder got too sore. Favourite was a 1970's era Hagstrom. My son still plays it. Almost everything is made off shore these days so don't let that throw you off. You can get a nice entry level Godin (Canadian) for around $300-$400. Nice action, nice sustain and easily played when set up properly.
Pretty much what Phil said. haha!
Good luck. Happy pickin'

There's nothing right in my left brain and there's nothing left in my right brain.
author unknown

Has anyone heard from Rabid?  I am wondering if our blunt honesty backed him off from here.