Topic: Funny stuff

Tonight I was singing Puff the Magic Dragon to my youngest daughter as a lullaby.  I don't have the lyrics memorized, so I was reading them from a music book of folk lullabies published by Peter Yarrow.  The youngest, who is six and has learned to read well in the past year, was looking over my shoulder at the lyrics and singing along.  She asked me when we were done, "What are all those music things over the words?"  I replied, "Those are chords in case I want to learn to play this on guitar.  Would you like me to try to learn this on guitar?"  She smiled big and said, "Yes!"  Then she paused and said somberly, "Wait.  Are there any B chords?"   That busted me right up.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Funny stuff

Zurf,I am eating and reading this at the same time,I almost chocked I laughed so hard.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

What's the saying about the fruit (or nut in this case) not falling far from the tree? LOL -  busted me up too.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Topdown - We joke about raising our mothers.  Our eldest is like Audrey, my wife's mother.  Our youngest is like Beverly, my mother.  Funny thing is that both our mothers passed away long before our children were born.  In the case of Beverly to Derek (me) to my youngest, it is a case of the nut not falling far from the tree. 

Dino - Sorry.  Take a big swallow of whatever your drinking.  Didn't mean to cause any difficulty with proper respiration.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

They say teach them young. But I think that only implies to something they want to be good at. I don't think that saying applies to hating the B chord. You must overcome the B!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not that hard Zurf. Just practice it over and over again.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Zurf - Quite a coincidence, Audrey and Beverly are both family names in my "tree". Aunt Audrey (my Mom's Aunt) and Cousin Beverly (Audrey's daughter) were / are both very musically talented. I'd bet that anyone who learned to play piano in the village of Amityville, NY from the 40's through the '60's spent some time on Aunt Audrey's bench.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Haha nice! Oh the things kids will say....

All You Need is Love smile

Very funny Zurf!  I won't pick on the apple falling far from the tree, I'll say... she just KNOWS YOU!  LOL!  Coincidentally, I am working very hard at getting my fake Bm down in that song and was playing it last night while Katie was taking her bath.  She told me I shouldn't play it because it's a bedtime song and she wasn't ready for bed yet!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

steelstrings wrote:

It's not that hard Zurf. Just practice it over and over again.

Been practicing it for years.  It's just not coming around.

Maybe it's just me. I manage it allright.

I think it's just me.  I can't make my ring finger on the right hand bend the way it needs to, so I have to use both my index and pinky finger to press the three strings that need pressing.  Then to crank down on the strings in the way that I need to to get a good clean sound it's tough because my index and my other fingers need slightly different angles and I only have the one right hand. 

- Zurf

I wonder what Dr. Phil would have to say about teaching your kids to hate B chords. smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I wonder what Dr. Phil would have to say about teaching your kids to hate B chords. smile

He's OK with it. 

- Zurf

That's funny! And I can just "hear" her saying it, too...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

i love the B chord, minors majors 7th's augmented's the whole catalogue. i love them so much that i try and put them into every song i write, and even into the songs i didnt...LOL

COME ON GUYS B IS JUST AN A WITH A BARRE. no different to Dbmaj or minor. if you have difficulty playing with a barre, just play the bottom 4 strings using all your fingers; index to F#, middle to D, ring to B, pinky to Gb. how much easier could it B?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

It's not just A barre.  It's TWO barres at the same time.  That's unholy.  7ths, minors, augmenteds, and all whatnot are exempt.  It's just straight, plain, good ol' B that's evil. 

- Zurf

Thats kind of how I do it Phill.  It is easier than the full barre for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf, didn't you say not too long ago that you were starting to get a handle on the B?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

That's as far as it got.  "Starting to get a handle."  That's after three or four years of effort.  It remains evil. 

- Zurf

It makes me laugh, sorry but you calling it "evil". just sounds funny.

That's the point.  It's not really a theological statement.

i was lying in bed last night and i realised that as i play left handed, that i wrote down the fingering for a left hand B. it looks like some of you guessed that and compensated.
keep strumming

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.