Topic: My guitar string broke...

So yeah, there I was. Just sitting on my bed strummin away. And then... snap. Bang goes my high e string.
I have realized I hadn't changed the strings in over a year.
I'm just thankful it wasn't my g-string.
Now I'll have to dig into my savings and buy some new strings. Damn!

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Re: My guitar string broke...

Bummer.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I don't recall ever having a string break on me.  Of course I am old and can't remember some things.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've broken one and I think it was a new one at that.

I have heard one story about a 12-string neck coming apart while being played and the ensuing Gordian Knot of strings!

naolslager wrote:

I've broken one and I think it was a new one at that.

I have heard one story about a 12-string neck coming apart while being played and the ensuing Gordian Knot of strings!

I love it, Gordian Knot! What an educated bunch we all are!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I used to break them all the time when I used the lights even new strings,now I go real slow on the last few turns,and I use safety goggles as I have been hit in the face a few times. I have been too the emergency room twice for my eyes getting hit be a rock off a mower and a guitar string.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I mow my yard slowly as well.

what gauge picks and what gauge strings?

You made the "breaking my g-string" joke.

Goodness me.

I popped myself pretty good on the hand once, but I don't ever remember breaking a string any other time. No emergency. room or abything like that, but it was def lame. I'm actually kind of glad you mentioned this my acoustics been needing new strings for a while now.....

All You Need is Love smile

dino48 wrote:

I used to break them all the time when I used the lights even new strings,now I go real slow on the last few turns,and I use safety goggles as I have been hit in the face a few times. I have been too the emergency room twice for my eyes getting hit be a rock off a mower and a guitar string.

You shouldn't be mowing your grass and playing your guitar at the same time...!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I wonder if you could use broken guitars strings on a weed eater?

G strings and weed eaters.  My how we digress smile I used to break strings like crazy.  Then I read Illusions by Richard Bach. Got a different perspective on that now. Or its the tequila.  Regardless,  make sure all the sharp edges from bridges, nuts, string break angles etc. are removed/ smooth.  Once this in done, if strings continue to break sooner than they should, you might question your  playing style and string gage.

Now available in 5G !

I used to work with a maniac bass player who broke "A" and "E" strings on his Fender bass guitar. He would pull the strings up to his chin before he let go. The percussive effect out front would move your hair and jiggle your clothes.
I pound the daylights out of my old Gibson 330 playing rock rhythm. I break strings occasionally but always carry spares in my case.
If you only change strings once a year, rust, funk and mildew can cause a string to break. Or it can get so old it may opt for suicide after sounding so darn dead for so long.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

^ What toots said - after a full year, your strings were likely dead anyway. On my everyday guitar, 6 weeks on a set of strings is about max. Change 'em regularly - it's like a new instrument every time!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I've only broken strings putting them on, never playing. I do keep fresh stings on though, I usually change them every 3-4 weeks. Like topdown said, fresh strings will make your guitar sou.nd so much better

TwangTown wrote:
dino48 wrote:

You shouldn't be mowing your grass and playing your guitar at the same time...!

lol

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

I snapped the E string on my bass right in the middle of a set a year or so back.  Totally played it off, though.  Yanked the broken string, moved up to second position, and finished the song.   Two guys in the crowd bought me beer afterwards.  I didn't have the heart to tell 'em the band drinks for free.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]