Re: What are you playing right now??

Guitarpix wrote:

I'm not able to play for a few days...  Was installing a 3.5 lift to my 93 XJ and the wrench slipped and my arm hit the pinch seem of the body below the rockers and sliced my forearm. Only about 3 inches long but deep and if I extend my fretting arm too much the wound tears open again... Probably needs stitches but I superglued it closed and am going to take it easy for a few days while it heals up.

Perhaps when your arm heals you could play The first cut is the deepest by Cat Stevens.

I'm trying to learn a picking version of As tears go by by the Stones.
So far so good.

Jamie R

Hi all, new to Chordie and first post! I am currently working on Hey There Delilah like Giutarpix at the top of this thread. Struggling to get into the Bm smoothly but it's getting better with practice. Not sure the wife agrees though!

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

28 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-09-09 11:59:05)

Thanks guys!

Greatbigdave I had the same problem with the song when learning it... Try using a pinch D (barre the gbe on 2nd fret with your index finger and catch the b string 3rd fret with your middle finger) I found this fingering made it much easier to catch the d string 4th fret with your ring finger for the beginning of the song and it also allows the middle finger to stay on the b string 2nd fret (or the ring finger on d string 4th while changing to BM, depending on the part of the song your on) during the change to BM acting as a pivot easing the change. I'll post a quick vid of my fingerings throughout the progression this afternoon if you'd like.... I know it's hard to understand written out like this but it really does make the song sooo much easier to play.... Especially during the chorus were you just change from D to BM repeatedly..   

Welcome to Chordie!!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Welcome to the Chordie forums Greatbigdave. 

Pix - Take it easy and keep a close eye out for infection.  Cuts from exposed metal can get nasty fast.  Don't take any chances.  I hope you heal up quick. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Guitarpix, I see exactly what you mean. I've had a go and you're right about the easier changes. Only trouble now is I have to re-engage my brain to play it!! I've practised that long with the conventional chords, my hands want to take over even though they keep doing it wrong. I love playing the guitar but it can sure be frustrating!!

Thanks Zurf. What is a B chord amnesty? Or is that a can of worms I don't want to look into!!

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

The B chord is evil.  Yet, to become a guitar mutant it is necessary.  Russell Harding, a guitar mutant if there ever was one, wrote a song that I absolutely love: "A Few To Many".  The bridge in "A Few To Many" contains a B chord in a strategic location.  Being a mutant, Russell does that sort of thing to make us non-mutants weep and gnash our teeth.  You know, because the B chord is evil, Biblical descriptions of Hell apply.   So anyway, I practiced and practiced and practiced and still could not get that B chord in the bridge.  But B7, piece of cake.  So I recorded my version of "A Few To Many", which I do in a Travis picking sort of style (except without the finesse, quality or skill Merle brought to his namesake style).  In a fit of hubris and arrogance, I sent the recording to Russell along with a first class rant against the evil B chord.  As the benevolent King of the Mutants, Russell granted me B chord amnesty, permitting me to perform "A Few To Many" with the B7 substitution.  But for justice to be served, no kindness can be extended without an accompanying dose of humility, Russell then wrote and recorded "Zurf and The Evil B", which is a song played entirely using B chord shapes.  I listened.  I laughed.  And then I proceeded with great happiness for the rest of the evening alone but for my guitar and my B chord amnesty. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Love it!!
Weirdest thing is, I can play B without any trouble, either open or barred but I can't play B7 for the life of me! I can't even cheat with a barred A7 without at least a fifteen minute run up! Rules out lots of the Beatles catalogue for me.

And to get us back on topic - this morning has involved work on "Country Roads" by James Taylor.  It needs work. 

- Zurf

I wanna learn Guns 'n Roses - Patience. Beautiful song.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

35 (edited by deadstring 2011-09-11 23:24:43)

Working on Alan Jacksons "Where Were You" for a 9-11 remembrance at church Sunday.

Update note> it went good. Not perfect but good.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

steelstrings wrote:

I have that one. Can you do the whistle part?

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

at the moment  "All my life's a circle"   by Harry Chapin.   

"Dan Willie"   by Matt Minglewood

badeye   cool

one caper after another

tubatooter1940 wrote:
steelstrings wrote:

I have that one. Can you do the whistle part?

lol, no not yet. It's almost my favorite song out of the other Guns 'n Roses songs.
I'll have to learn Sweet Child O' Mine though.

Zurf! If you ever write out tabs for Wreck of Ol' 97 or Will the Circle be Unbroken will you post them?? (please!?!?)  smile

Deadstring, very sweet song to learn. And so appropriate. GBUSA!

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Auxi -

I've found this site to be invaluable for finding all those country songs I grew up hearing.  I think it was Deadstring who first brought it to my attention. 

http://www.classic-country-song-lyrics.com/index.html

- Zurf

That's about the best site for old country tunes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I also just started on Piano Man by Billy Joel.  Not too bad with guitar.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I know a friend who can play it on piano.

Great! Thanks so much, Zurf!

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Tiny Dancer is also great on acoustic. So's Walking In Memphis. smile

Right now, I'm playing "La Da Dum La Da Lyla" ... by our own Jets60!  I really enjoy this song.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps by George Harrison - always liked this song.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Sorry to go off topic but being a jeep fanatic myself I have to ask about bluejeeps username smile  Details??

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

49 (edited by bluejeep 2011-09-24 22:53:33)

Hey Pix, its the color of my favorite cherokee. Sadly she is no longer with us but the memory lives on, best rock crawler I ever had. Someday hope to buy her twin and visit the old cemetary on chimney top mountain again. And to bring us back on topic - Zurf, earlier in this thread you were working on Will The Circle Be Unbroken, nice to know someone is playing an old favorite. I live near the Carter Fold, this song was originally recorded as Can The Circle Be Unbroken, and is often performed on the stage as a tribute to the memory of A.P., Sara and Maybelle. If your ever in the area on a saturday evening and want to hear some good old time country and bluegrass and watch some of the best cloggers - come to The Carter Fold.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Hey Pix, its the color of my favorite cherokee. Sadly she is no longer with us but the memory lives on, best rock crawler I ever had. Someday hope to buy her twin and visit the old cemetary on chimney top mountain again.

Very Cool smile  I'm an XJ nut too... I have 4 of 'em, an 88 with 4 inch lift some trimming and 33's/ 89 limited with 6.5 RE superflex lift & 33's/ 93 with 3.5 and 31's (my DD), and a stock 99 sport (the wifes). I'm finishing up the 93 this weeend by installing the new rack, hellas, free flow cat and flowmaster 44 muffler.... I finished up the steering upgrades yesterday on it smile

Got pics of the crawler? Would love to see a few smile