Topic: Whoops (or I may have really done it this time)

At work today I had a small mishap. Actually it was a rather large mishap. We were installing a steel roof and thanks to the cold temperature and lots of rain the last few days the steel was very slippery. Things were going well until my feet went out from under me and instinct kicked in. I grabbed for the peak of the roof. Big mistake. I cut my index and middle fingers to the bone right around the first joint. Eight stitches in the index and ten in the middle. They think I may have severed the tendons as neither tip will flex. So on Monday I get to see a hand surgeon and get the full report. At this point my days of playing guitar may be numbered( at least right handed) I had already lost my pinkie on my left hand and had adapted pretty well. Now however I may have to totally relearn how to do it using my right hand for chording. But it is what it is and I figure I learned how to play once, what's to stop me from doing it again. The knowledge is there I will just have to learn to apply it using my right hand. Odd isn't it,right handed people using their left hand do something that requires a fair amount of dexterity. So as things progress I'll keep my extended family here at Chordie updated. Here's to shingle roofs. Later   Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: Whoops (or I may have really done it this time)

Sorry to hear that Butch. I hope everything turns out well for you.  You have a good positive spirit going for you at least.  never give up.  Let us know how you are doing.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Oh man, Hate to hear it... Yea keep us updated and I wish you all the best dude. Hopefully the surgeon will have some encouraging news Monday.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Best of luck Butch. I can't imagine trying to learn to play left-handed, but others have done it with great success (SouthPaw for one)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

That's not just a whoops!!!!  I hope the surgeons are wise and skilled. I don't know why I think this, but if it was a clean cut then the tendons should be able to be repaired. So, what happened after you grabbed the peak and cut your hand? You have a good outlook if the worst becomes reality. I agree with you on the oddity of the left hand. My left can hand can grab and lift but other than that it's all thumbs. I can't hammer, use a screwdriver, cut with a razor, or write my name left handed. But guitar it can do. Weird.

Keep your head up Butch we're wishing you the best.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow Butch.. Sorry to here about that..The good news is that surgeons are great with those kinds of injuries these days.. Prayers for you and yours.

Now available in 5G !

Not good,butch hope they can fix you up. I am left handed but play right but I can also play left handed but not as well. You can also give some thought too playing keyboards.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dude.

I'll pray. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well Zguitar  my boss bandaged me up as best as he could and one of the guys I work with took me to the hospital.  Luckily they were having a slow morning and were able to get me in right away. I just found out that after I went down my boss slipped also only he went to the ground. I was only a couple feet above another roof which I landed on,so if I hadn't reached out to stop myself I wouldn't be writing this. Instinct and self preservation were what really caused my injury. Anyhow thanks to all who have wished me luck and I suppose dino that keyboards would be an option. But how do you strum a piano?

You don't strum put you can bang out most guitar songs.I hope you will get phys tharapy as soon as you can it will help alot to move them and keep them strong and limber.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Where is the neck on a piano? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It's just inboard of the headstock,  you can't miss it.

Now available in 5G !

Damn. Really hope it all turns out well for you.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Thoughts and prayers your way. After everything is healed up be sure and get a soft ball to squeeze to strengthen those fingers. Here's to you getting back and playing again.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

I'm prayin for ya Butch.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

dino48 wrote:

Not good,butch hope they can fix you up. I am left handed but play right but I can also play left handed but not as well. You can also give some thought too playing keyboards.

Sorry to hear also.I am also left handed but I play rihht handed.(didnt know there was such a thing as left handed guitars at the time.Hope it goes well for you.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

BUTCH!  I'm really sorry to hear about the possible permanent damage... but I AM very glad to hear that it was not worse.  Don't think too far ahead, one never knows!!  Best wishes for the best outcome!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Butch this makes me scared. I'm going to be doing construction next year. I hope none of this ever happens to me.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Oh man! Sorry, can only hope for the best Butch. Put metal on my roof a few years
   ago and know exactly how sharp it is especially a sharp cut edge.       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Wishing you a speedy recovery Butch. I hope that your fears are unfounded and you regain full use of your hand.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Postive vibes headin your way Butch. Hope you heal up better than new !!

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Just a little update. Some of the swelling has gone down and although it's painful I can slightly flex the tip on my middle finger. The position of the cut on the index actually travels from the tip into the middle section so the damage may be more severe even though it required less stitches. thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers and I'll keep you posted