Topic: Questions for Guitar Teachers / Instructors

After playing pretty seriously for just over two years I've realized that it's time for some lessons, so I'm starting this week.

I found a guitar teacher online who has a pretty good resume (he's been playing for over 40 years and teaching for over 20) and is reasonably priced.  I met with him for 30 minutes for free last week and he demonstrated some of his skills.  He's pretty impressive.  The downside is that he's not close to my house (about an hour away).

He asked me to play a bit for him, so I showed him the extent of my fingerpicking abilities and various chord shapes.  I explained my limitations (barre chords, lousy mechanics on a few things).

I told him my primary objective was to be able to get to the "next level" (whatever that is).  I'm not interested in playing in front of crowds, but I want to be able to play for my own enjoyment and for family and friends without making as many mistakes.  I'd just like to be able to call myself a "good" guitar player.

He asked me if I knew any music theory and I told him what I know.  (Thanks in large part to Jerome and Russell and severasl others on the theory forum, that conversation lasted a couple of minutes rather than a couple of seconds.)

Based on all of that, he concluded that we could skip the first couple of years of what I'll call "basics".  He said I've done very well and that we mainly need to work on technique, precision through muscle memory, and dexterity.  Oh yeah, and scales.  (I knew that was coming eventually.)

He wants a minimum of three lessons per month at 45 minutes each, so I want to make sure he knows what he's doing.  Anyway, knowing that those who can DO cannot necessarily teach, I wanted to get some input from those of you who teach guitar to understand the kinds of things I should watch for to undertand whether this guy actually knows how to TEACH guitar.

I understand that learning depends on the abilities and commitment of the student as well as the teacher, but there have to be some commonalities among the better guitar teachers.  These are the things I'm looking for.

Your input is appreciated.  Thanks.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Questions for Guitar Teachers / Instructors

Hi astro,he sounds like he is leading you in the right direction,to me it sounds like he will be taking you where you may have known you would need to go to. I need to go there too,I know some of it but it would help me get to the next step.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I teach beginner lessons so I am NOT authority on this matter. I look at it this way, if someone knows more than you, then you can learn from them. To be a good teacher you must be excited about what your teaching, excited FOR your student, and excited WITH your student. We all learn from our experiences. So with empathy he can relate to your journey as he has been there. He's been teaching for 20 years so I think it's safe to say that he can teach. Obviously guitar is hands on, you can't learn it by just reading about it. So again, he knows more than you so you will get something out of it. The 3 things you mentioned "technique, precision through muscle memory, and dexterity" all come from lots of practice. At 2 years in I would think that you could scour for online vids and lessons. You already know the basics, so everything else is built on that. I don't think there is a "next level". You learn by slowly progressing. I don't know your definition of good and I don't know your skill level, but it's gonna take another 10 years to call yourself "good". That is, good among other guitar players. It depends on the company you keep.

Things to look for:
He should be excited
Patient
Not try to overload you
Go at YOUR pace not his
"test" you about what you covered in the previous lesson
Try diff approaches if you're not getting it
Help you figure out why something isn't working

Like I said, I teach beginners and everyone has their own style of teaching.

Hope that helps

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar nailed it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I took lessons for a few months, way back when.
I got frustated with my lack of progress, and my instructor said "Practice make perfect"
So, a few months later, I was still frustrated and the instructor said: "Nobody's perfect"
So, I quit practicing...

(Ba-da-boom)

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I think I would try to get the names of some of his students and see how they have done.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.