Topic: picking accuracy

hello chordie friends.
what i would like to know what is the best way to achive better picking accuracy as i sometimes keep hitting the wrong string as i am trying to read the tab watch the fretboard  and pick the right string all at the same time and going all to cock after a few notes any help please.

john

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-09-26 03:08:08)

Re: picking accuracy

Whether finger picking or using a pick, I use a guide finger... I let my pinkie barely rest on the pickguard just below the bottom string. Doing this gives me a reference point and eventually you'll know right were each string is.  If finger picking it's also helpful to designate a string to a certain finger. I use my thumb for the bass note of the chord and sometimes the string under that depending on the chord and pattern, my pointer gets the d string, middle gets the g string, ring finger gets the b string. Sometimes I use the ring for the e as well and sometimes I'll pull the pinkie I use as an anchor... It just depends on the piece.   

Work at it slowly and accurately. Trying to go too fast just causes you to hit the wrong string and everytime you do that you're teaching that finger to hit the wrong string. Muscle memory works both ways so be sure to hit it right and then work on building up speed.

Also you said you're watching the fretboard. I'd recommend trying to break that habit. If you're depending on your eyes to find the string you're not really going to build good muscle memory.  Try practicing some in the dark, it really helps to break the habit of watching the fretboard.

Just some thoughts...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

many thanks guitarpix i think you are right perhaps i am trying to go to fast i will also stop looking at the fret board from now on .

thanks for your help.

regards john

do you practice scales?

hello baldguitardude.

many thanks for answering my question.
which scales should i practice there are quite a lot of them so i am at a loss which one i haven,t done up to now.

regards.

john

Hi Flash,

you should practice every scale you can, but start off by using your minor and major scales, then moving onto more complex scales like the pentatonic, myxolidian, lydian, dorian etc...
it depends on what sort of music you play, but its all down to personal opinion to be honest! :]

Chordiehelper123

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p

I'd start with major, natural minor, dorian and mixolydian, as well as major and minor pentatonic patterns. I never play a phrygian, locrian, or lydian so I don't worry about 'em so much.

many thanks to you all for answering my question.

flash