Topic: Talk to me about Yairi Pix...

I am looking to upgrade from entry level guitars but I am not looking to spend $2000.00 plus on a Martin or Gibson. I know you are a big fan of these guitars and have seen some information on here you have provided on them. I am basically a strummer and I play old country music, I like a mellow balanced sound. I think I saw a post where you recommended getting an earlier model guitar versus a new one. What models would you recommend, what years of production and what are the price ranges you would pay for them?

Re: Talk to me about Yairi Pix...

For $2000, you may want to consider a custom made item too.  It's something to consider.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

They are both good guitars and I am sure either one would do the trick.I think your best bet is to go too a guitar store and give all brands a try,you will almost always find onethat feels and sounds right too you. The japanese also have some good guitars out there (takamine,Yamaha etc.) I will not buy a guitar from a online vender even if it is a high priced one and is a martin or gibson.I want one I have played and heard and is in my hands.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'd recommend anything earlier than '84...  You can pick up a fine example in the right year range anywhere from 5-900... I'd look at the dy-75 and 77 ( 77's can get a little more expensive, up to 12-1300 for early ones in good shape unless you get lucky... I bought a '73  dy77 for 200 bucks off of craigslist but had to drive 8hrs to get it) or maybe a dy74 if you want one that came in a cutaway with electronics. Those models will be spruce/rosewood... If you want spruce/hog I'd consider the dy50 as a good solid performer and it can be had from 350-550 depending on condition and the deal you find.  I'm on lunch break now so I don't have much time but I'll post a lot more info this evening on the respective models and price ranges plus some build info and videos. 

Yairi's have a tone all their own but if I had to describe it I'd say they have the thump of a martin (you really feel the bass in your chest) but with highs more similar to a Taylor. To me it's a great balance smile Martins can be too bassy to me and taylors can be a little bright, Yairi kind of blends the two...  As a side note they are all solid woods even if they are described as laminate back and sides... I'll explain this later though when I have a little more time to post.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I've played a Yairi once. I have no idea of year or model. It had the tree of life inlay. It was very easy to play and sounded awesome. I found it in a garage of one of my customers that had just moved, no one was home so I took a look and a strum or two.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

What price range are you looking at, southrnrocker?

You can get a very good quality Takamine for under 1000.00, nice guitars in the mid range.
Best advice is to go to a guitar shop and experiment with what's available in your area and in your price range, pick the one that sounds and feels the best to you. A guitar's price does not always measure its quality.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Southernrocker,
Craig's List is a good source. In fact I think you and I are neighbors and there have been 2-3 temptations locally recently. I have been impressed with every Yairi I've played. One thing that might be off-putting to you is they routinely have laminated back and sides when you'd think (for the price, etc) they would be all solid. Despite popular conceptions I wouldn't let this stop me from purchasing a Yairi.

Trying to decode the Yairi model hierarchy is a challenge. I have found very little to guide me. At one point i started a simple list to keep track but I have abandoned it in order to remain somewhat sane.
Good luck.
dj

p.s. Two days ago I found a delightful Tacoma (Made in USA circa 2002) with a spruce top and Brazilian Rosewood back/sides, wood binding, mint condition with HSC. I'm not normally a fan of Tacoma but this thing was beautiful, sounded great, was Made in USA, and priced attractively. According to what I could determine it was priced VERY attractively. I strongly considered putting this thing on layaway but cooler heads prevailed and I think I've given up on the notion.

naolslager wrote:

One thing that might be off-putting to you is they routinely have laminated back and sides when you'd think (for the price, etc) they would be all solid.

They are technically laminate but it's not typical laminate.  They take a solid back and slice it into 2 thin layers and then put them right back together with animal hide glue (the older ones at least). This gives you the sound of solid wood since it essentially is but creates a much more stable, consistent and sound reflective back but still colors the tone the way a solid back would... Quality laminate sides are used by most custom builders now anyway as they are more rigid and carry vibrations better. Some are switching over to this kind of back as well also but some traditions are hard to change when people already have a certain mindset... Laminate got a bad rap from production guitar companies that used ,and still use, luan or similar cheap ply with a very thin veneer of good wood for finishing. Done right, it's just as good if not better than solid woods IMO. As a plus all Yairis are hand built! Necks are all shaped by hand, bracing is all hand carved and each top is tap tested and then tuned to it's best. Very few companies can say that. Martin doesn't tap test at all... Taylor does their high end ones... To me it makes a diffrence. They also still use hide glue for all other aspects of the build and even the dovetail neck joints are carved by hand for best fit.  Check out the Yairi shop tour vids on Youtube. There's also a few brochures floating around the net and you can look for vintage magazine Yairi ads on Ebay  (these can offer some little tidbits about construction and some of the ads even have bracing layouts and such). I ordered an original vintage ad for everyone of my Yairi's and framed them for the music room smile

I still don't have much time but will get you some more info posted as soon as I can.... Just got back home today and everyone's  already rushing me to pack for our weekend paddling trip so I need to run smile -Pix

Nao,  Pre-fender buy out Tacomas are real gems but be careful with them as they are known to have finish trouble. Bubbles are very common with many having the finish to almost fall off after time.  Post fender models are considerably less valuable/good.... I'd by a pre fender model only if I could inspect it first hand very carefully for any signs of finish trouble and the post fender models I wouldn't really waste my time with... Not that they're bad, Just better bang for the buck in other brands IMO.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

9 (edited by naolslager 2011-10-09 12:49:38)

Guitarpix,
Yes I am aware of the Tacoma "skin disease". This one was pre-Fender and showed no signs of the disease although I will admit this issue would cause me to consider this one very carefully before exchanging money. it is way out of my price range anyway.

Thanks for the info on the Yairis; I have watched the video and was very impressed by their building techniques. And yes, laminate seems to be a pejorative term but I've owned quite a few all-laminate guitars (some of which I should have kept) and have been impressed.
dj

Thanks for the info, I found a great looking 12 string at Guitar Center but I am not interested in a 12 string. I did play around with it and even with 11 strings, all of which needed changing it sounded way better and played way easier that the Sigma that was hanging next to it.

Naoslager, I did see the ones on Craigslist recently, that is what made me think of them again. I have to sell some guitars to build up a fund in case one comes up again.

There was a tempting DY-38. But I find if I am not careful I end up with a stable full of the ubiquitous Dreadnought. Not my favorite body shape. I'd like to find a FY Yairi.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a Vintage FY myself...  Good luck! They're few and far between here...  We need a trustworthy member from Japan that can get his hands on all the great homeland models and not just the US imported ones and who could ship them to us smile

I'd bet a US store specializing in the Japanese models would do great!!! I see the ones on ebay going for premium prices and people are paying 150-200 on top of that just for shipping! Hmmm...If I could just raise the money for initial stock...

Here's a link to the yairiguitars yahoo group... http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/yairiguitars/  Lots of great info posted here smile