1 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-10-30 01:21:00)

Topic: Has anyone suffered from burnout?

Am I suffering from burnout?Lately I have been too tired to do anything.After working 60 hours a week I am too tired to do anything.Lately Ihave been cancelling any jam sessions and not doing much of anything.I will get some playing in for about an hour a week,mainly on my days off.Last week I put off all jamming until the end of the year.Has anyone ever had this problem? If so,what can be done about it?Thank you in advance  Also I am 51 and not a spring chicken anymore

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Has anyone suffered from burnout?

Ya stop working 60 hours a week,it will wear you down pretty quick and if you have a long commute that adds two it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

60 hours a week is too much at age 51. Hopefully the overwork will ease off and you will feel more like after work fun activities.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

4 (edited by PapaTom 2011-10-30 01:35:10)

In March of 2011, I got back to full-time work after a two-year purgatory.  Unfortunately, I am working twice as hard now and earning half the money, so my energy is usually sapped by the end of each day.  As a result, I find that I have less motivation to pick up my uke, which was pretty much a part of my arm for 2-3 years.

I think you're just in one of those periods where your head isn't clear enough to want to "create" or experiment, as music usually demands.  Chances are, you'll get back to it when work either thins out or becomes less demanding.

My advice is to add a new hobby.  I switch from bicycling in the warm weather to ukulele in the cold, so each one is usually fresh for at least a few weeks out of each year.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

I hear ya!!!!! I find very often that I'm too tired at the end of the day to do anything. alot of times I'll nod off in front of the computer. I have realized that I'm not playing as much as I used to or want to. I used to not miss more than 3 days a week but now it's more like 4 and for only 30 - 45 mins instead of a full hour +. I think it is just how life goes. The important things you make time for. The things that can be put off often are. I know that as of late I have been busier with other things so that's where my time and energy is going. Most days I think about playing all day when I'm working, but when I get home I just don't feel like it. It's just a phase and will pass. So in the words of Naolslager " Get back to playing".

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I push myself pretty hard. Twice a year or so I either get sick or pass out from exhaustion and need to spend a couple days in bed. Small price to pay for the fun I'm having though. smile

I have burned out on guitar - hit a plateau where nothing seems to sound good and it isn't fun any more. I put guitar down for a couple months.

Yes I have.  Lately things have been pretty good, so praise God for that.  But yeah, I've suffered from burn-out and it has taken a lot of rest to recover.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude